Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main > For Vintage & Antique Machine Enthusiasts
Which Black singer should I get?? >

Which Black singer should I get??

Which Black singer should I get??

Old 10-18-2012, 01:10 PM

It depends on what I'm sewing, really. I love my 15 for FMQ, my 66 for basic sewing, my 27 for piecing, my Janome 10001 for embroidery, and my other vintage machines for just being there. Some days I feel like just treadling and other days I want to do something else. I guess it depends on what you plan to use it for.
Old 10-18-2012, 01:24 PM

Black Singers ....... which one to choose?

I can't answer you. I have a 15-91, 8 66s, 2 99s, a 201-2, 2 9W-7s and from one use to the other I can't choose a favorite.

I do know that I like those with a reverse or a back tack feature better for piecing as I prefer to back tack all my seams. But for long stretches of straight stitching the ones without work great.

My suggestion, when you see one that intrigues you, buy it. Use it and learn it. Then when the next one comes along do the same.
Eventually, you'll know what you prefer. Then you can start reducing the heard to the one that makes you the happiest.

At least I think you can ..................... I haven't been able to yet.

Joe
Old 10-18-2012, 01:30 PM
Power Poster

Originally Posted by J Miller View Post
Black Singers ....... which one to choose?

I can't answer you. I have a 15-91, 8 66s, 2 99s, a 201-2, 2 9W-7s and from one use to the other I can't choose a favorite.

I do know that I like those with a reverse or a back tack feature better for piecing as I prefer to back tack all my seams. But for long stretches of straight stitching the ones without work great.

My suggestion, when you see one that intrigues you, buy it. Use it and learn it. Then when the next one comes along do the same.
Eventually, you'll know what you prefer. Then you can start reducing the heard to the one that makes you the happiest.

At least I think you can ..................... I haven't been able to yet.

Joe
ROTFLMBO yeah right Joe - get it down to one... LOL LOL LOL... They are all so much fun. It seems like you can have two identical machines and you will like one better than the other. Go figure.
Old 10-19-2012, 03:57 AM

Originally Posted by miriam View Post
It's ok - my sister and I cleaned up my mom's old FW last year for Christmas - if you missed it, we took pics and had some fun on here - here is a link: http://www.quiltingboard.com/vintage...t-t174236.html
Thanks for the link!
Old 10-19-2012, 04:35 AM

Do you have ALL those listed as available for purchase? Lucky, lucky if you do.

Glad to know I'm not alone in my collection of 'well loved - still running GREAT' Singer sewing machines. Off the top of my head I can name the ones (and sometimes twos) of the models I have...Featherweight, 401, 501, 99, 15, 301...I think some have As in their numbers...but I need more coffee for that.

I agree get the one that the best condition for the money you can afford.