Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main > For Vintage & Antique Machine Enthusiasts
Need some help finding a Viking belt... >

Need some help finding a Viking belt...

Need some help finding a Viking belt...

Old 10-17-2012, 08:32 AM

Default Need some help finding a Viking belt...

I just bought the Viking Cl 21A machine that I posted a few days ago and have joined the Yahoo group for Viking pre-1980 group that Candace suggested. It looks like I need to replace the 2 belts but I looked on eBay and they are $32 each..... Is there a place that would have these cheaper?

I'm probably going to have to take the tension apart and clean it, too because everything was really dirty and thread doesn't move smoothly through the tension. So, if anyone here has worked on these, I'd sure like to know if you can explain some of the repairs to me. It's going to take enough $ for parts.... I really hope I can do this myself.

Thanks, you all....... you've always come through for me before and I really appreciate your help.

nanna
Attached Thumbnails sew.jpg  
Old 10-17-2012, 09:47 AM

Vintage viking parts are expensive. That's just the way it is:< And you really don't want to buy used belts as part of why they are bad is age. You can try http://www.sewingpartsonline.com/ If you joined the yahoo group, you will see there are many files on the site and folks there that can give you direction on the repairs.
Old 10-17-2012, 10:22 AM

In the yahoo group files, there is a list of recommended shops (Viking repair shops that list members have a good experience with). You can contact one of these shops and ask if they can sell you the part. My Viking guru left the shop he worked at and now does service out of his home shop (and he is on the list). His name is Glenn Bryant in Hillsboro, Ore., and he has sold me parts by mail but that was when he worked at the shop, I haven't had another new Viking for him to work on.
Old 10-17-2012, 11:52 AM

Originally Posted by Candace View Post
Vintage viking parts are expensive. That's just the way it is:< And you really don't want to buy used belts as part of why they are bad is age. You can try http://www.sewingpartsonline.com/ If you joined the yahoo group, you will see there are many files on the site and folks there that can give you direction on the repairs.
Thanks, Candace, Okay, I'll have to suck it up and put out the bucks if I want this one to work as it should. I do believe that it will sew well once I get the cleaning done and I can't finish that for a couple of weeks till we go back home where all my stuff is for cleaning these up. And, I'll ask for help on the yahoo group. They seem very nice over there..... just not quite the same as here.... you all come back quickly and there are so many of us on the QB site.
Old 10-17-2012, 11:55 AM

Originally Posted by Skyangel View Post
In the yahoo group files, there is a list of recommended shops (Viking repair shops that list members have a good experience with). You can contact one of these shops and ask if they can sell you the part. My Viking guru left the shop he worked at and now does service out of his home shop (and he is on the list). His name is Glenn Bryant in Hillsboro, Ore., and he has sold me parts by mail but that was when he worked at the shop, I haven't had another new Viking for him to work on.
Thanks skyangel. I did look at the list of shops and there aren't any close to me. I'll just have to give a few places a call and see what I can find. I have had some good luck with a LQS near me that has worked on my Viking 6440. It's not as old as this one but he sure did a nice job and it wasn't super expensive for what he did. I may see if I can talk with him as well. It's just going to take me a little time to get at this and figure out everything that I need to do...... patience...... I guess.
Old 10-17-2012, 12:49 PM

I feel your pain. Vintage Pfaff belts run $50-$75 each. I don't like to suck it up either and I know the end result is an awesome machine but parts for European machines are pricey for sure. It seems like every part I need for a Viking is $50 for a camstack or $50 for a take up slide. It hurts:<
Old 10-17-2012, 01:16 PM

My only concern would be how you get the belt on. Is that one that has to go up the inside around the top shaft? (I know my Pfaff has that kind.) If so, that's going to be a job and a half.
Old 10-18-2012, 05:04 AM

Originally Posted by Candace View Post
I feel your pain. Vintage Pfaff belts run $50-$75 each. I don't like to suck it up either and I know the end result is an awesome machine but parts for European machines are pricey for sure. It seems like every part I need for a Viking is $50 for a camstack or $50 for a take up slide. It hurts:<
I guess I shouldn't be whining..... $50-$75.... oh my! I'm hoping this will get this machine to working well.
Old 10-18-2012, 05:08 AM

Originally Posted by MrsBoats View Post
My only concern would be how you get the belt on. Is that one that has to go up the inside around the top shaft? (I know my Pfaff has that kind.) If so, that's going to be a job and a half.
I haven't checked into that yet. I have a big, strong DS that will help me if I need it. I help him when he's working on his car..... usually just holding stuff or starting a bolt or something. I figure I'll get some good suggestions from someone. I'm a little nervous about tinkering with the insides of this machine.... well, any machine for that matter. I don't have the experience that many have on this site. But, I'm willing to learn.
Old 10-18-2012, 06:22 AM

You have to start somewhere! And there are files on the yahoo group that should be able to help you. Good luck!