Buttonholers ....

Old 07-06-2012, 03:50 AM

love my SINGER buttonhole attachment for my 301A..beautiful, perfect buttonholes everytime for over 50 years now...

zig zag attachment not so much...........which is why a BERNINA 1630 shares some sewing time.
Old 07-06-2012, 06:12 AM

I wonder why they have gotten a bad rap? Clearly lots of folks love them too as seen in these responses. The three we have make beautiful buttonholes. Actually it is down right fun to watch them in action! Your collection is terrific Joe!
Old 07-06-2012, 06:18 AM

I have the singer one that I bought to go wit my Singr 401 in the early 60's. Even after I bough several newer machines, I went back to my 401 to make my buttonholes. Only since I bought my Baby Lock Ellisomo have I started using it to make buttonholes because it will make several styles. Buttoholers are l;ike friends, make new ones but keep the old, one is silver and the other is gold!!!! LOL
Old 07-06-2012, 08:28 AM

I too was wondering why anyone wouldn't want a button holer to go with their machine. I LOVE my button holers. I tried a couple of times to make one of the "automatic" button holes on my newer Singer embroidery/sewing machine and couldn't get it to work right. I even tried making a button hole with my Singer 27 treadle and it worked beautifully. My collection won't match Joe's, but I'm keeping what I have!
Old 07-06-2012, 08:34 AM

I to LOVE them!! I've got some too but not as many as you LOL. I find that they make a MUCH better button Hole! than any other machine. I've got some Very new machines but Still Love the Neat look of the button holes made by these 'Old fashioned Things' 1st You don't even need to get out a Ruler just get the right 'Cog' and away you Go!!
Note: I've tryed most of Mine on other Machines and found that they are universal as long as it a 'Straght' shaft or a 'Slant' shaft it will work I just use my hand to turn the crank for the 1st few times to make sure it will not hit the needle or any other machine parts!

Last edited by icon17; 07-06-2012 at 08:40 AM.
Old 07-06-2012, 08:43 AM

The biggest thing I like about the button hollers is that they are simply simple. You set your adjustments or put in the cam, set the material where you want it, lower the presser foot and go. The button holler starts at one end and makes the entire button hole in one step.
The built in ones on all the machines we have is a multi step operation that I have never been able to make work.

And just for the information .... All the cam style button hollers I've got are made by Greist. They're just marked with other brand names. The non cam ones with the wing nut adjusters, I'm not sure of.

Joe
Old 07-06-2012, 08:55 AM

I have several...haven't counted lately.

Most of the time, they're not much use to a quilter, but for those of us that make clothing, they rock! I think Candace's only real complaint about them is that they're a "dime a dozen"...and they DO seem to breed!
Old 07-06-2012, 09:00 AM

Charlee,

You do have a point there. Every time I take them out of the box to pic one to use, it seems there is more of them.

One was my moms, a couple were my wife's, some came with machines we've bought, and others have come from GW and thrift stores.

I even have one for my White Dressmaster, Louise, even though I have no other accessories for her.

Joe
Old 07-06-2012, 10:39 AM

Just off hand I would say that about 4-5 of my vintage machines came with their buttonholers. I just haven't tried them. I think from my past I have been frustrated with auto buttonholers on machines and just learned to avoid them. Might have to do that one of these days... when I get caught up on all the other WIP...
Old 07-06-2012, 08:19 PM

I am going to try out some of mine as soon as I get around to making some clothes. Do you think they would handle making a keyhole one in denim like the purchased jeans have?