Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main > For Vintage & Antique Machine Enthusiasts
Which cabinet for a 1887 Vs2 fiddle bed,please? >

Which cabinet for a 1887 Vs2 fiddle bed,please?

Which cabinet for a 1887 Vs2 fiddle bed,please?

Old 12-16-2017, 06:46 PM

Originally Posted by Fledrmaus View Post
tscweaves: I bought the exact same 1891 Singer fiddle bed 2 weeks ago! It's in good shape, too; I don't think I'll have to strip the cabinet, I'm going to try Glenn's formula for restoring the finish. The only flaw it has is the central drawer: the two decorative slanted corner pieces were pulled off, and there's just the bare wood of the drawer exposed. I'm planning to teach myself how to do a little simple woodworking, so once I get a band saw and a router, I'll set about trying to reproduce those corners.
Those corner pieces tend to fall off and get lost. I was missing one and the other had been glued on. One day I looked on Ebay and there was just the top of the cabinet along with a loose drawer corner, the exact one that I needed. The seller sold just that piece to me, I lucked out there:-)
Old 08-15-2022, 06:58 PM

Smile

your vintage singer VS2 sewing machine can fit 27-4 canbinet?
Old 08-15-2022, 07:36 PM

Originally Posted by annyin View Post
your vintage singer VS2 sewing machine can fit 27-4 canbinet?
No. The VS2 and the 27-4 have different foot prints and different hinges. One will not fit the other's cabinet without a great deal of modification. While they aren't quite like a cabinet, John had to make a different baseboard for the VS2 as it did not work in the Singer baseboard for the work stand as seen at Sewing Machine Work Stand You will have to click on the thumbnail to open the full size image. I would suggest that you right click the image and open in a new tab, so that you can go back and forth between the picture and the descriptions of what the baseboards are for.

Janey - Neat people never make the exciting discoveries I do.
Not affiliated with off-site link(s)
Old 08-15-2022, 08:28 PM

Originally Posted by OurWorkbench View Post
No. The VS2 and the 27-4 have different foot prints and different hinges. One will not fit the other's cabinet without a great deal of modification. While they aren't quite like a cabinet, John had to make a different baseboard for the VS2 as it did not work in the Singer baseboard for the work stand as seen at Sewing Machine Work Stand You will have to click on the thumbnail to open the full size image. I would suggest that you right click the image and open in a new tab, so that you can go back and forth between the picture and the descriptions of what the baseboards are for.

Not affiliated with off-site link(s)
I just bought singer VS2 sewing machine from Etsy shop, and I bought a cabinet a model 27-4 and takeoff the slingshot, I am still waiting my VS2 arrive.thanks for your information.
I hopefully singer VS2 can fit my cabinet.
Old 08-15-2022, 08:31 PM

how much the VS2 baseboard?
Old 08-16-2022, 07:44 AM

The base was made for the work stand. John did not use the actual cabinet top as a pattern. The VS2 sits on top of the wood in the cabinet. You can see the outline of how the machine sits on the cabinet in the pictures below.
full-close_img_20220816_083638_hdr.jpg
fulltop_img_20220816_083620_hdr.jpg
The hinge pins that go through the black lined holes closest to the opening can be seen at Leon's picture - https://www.quiltingboard.com/attach...s2-hinge-b.bmp

Old 08-16-2022, 08:30 AM

Are you for sale this basebroad?
Old 08-16-2022, 09:55 AM

The VS2 baseboard is Not for sale. The baseboard is for the work stand. The pictures in post #16 are from the actual cabinet.

I was showing it so that you could see that the VS2 will Not work in a cabinet made for the 27 machine. The VS2 is shaped differently and have a hinge attached to the head that needs to go down through the cabinet.

Old 08-16-2022, 10:38 AM

ANTIQUE SINGER TREADLE SEWING MACHINE CAST IRON TABLE BASE LEGS can fit VS2 table?
Old 08-16-2022, 10:39 AM

ANTIQUE SINGER TREADLE SEWING MACHINE CAST IRON TABLE BASE LEGS can fit VS2 table?