Class 15 clone maintenance

Old 05-10-2015, 01:51 PM

Default Class 15 clone maintenance

Today was the day I finally got out my Nova Montgomery fw maintenance card, supplies and gave my 2 FWs a cleaning, oiling and motor lubrication. While my hands and table were still a mess, I decided to apply the same principles to the Class 15 clone I picked up a few months ago. I cleaned and oiled the places as specified in the manual. Much to my surprise, the manual states that "sewing machines don't need grease". I would have thought that I should have been applying fresh motor lubricant to the two ports on either side of the plate on the motor. The manual is very basic, so I'm not totally trusting it. I must say, however, the machine is running very smoothly.

Your expert input is appreciated!

[ATTACH=CONFIG]519348[/ATTACH]
[ATTACH=CONFIG]519349[/ATTACH]

Thank you!

Holly
Attached Thumbnails img_20150510_165033_824.jpg   bonnie-blue-body.jpg  
Old 05-10-2015, 01:57 PM

Holly,

Most sewing machine motors made after the 30s did not require grease. They switched to oil where lubrication is needed. Singer continued using the motor grease until sometime in the 60s I think.

For your clone, a good cleaning and oiling at the appropriate places is about all there is. If the motor is oilable you'll see a tiny little hole over the top of each end of the motor shaft on the outside of the case. One drop there every so often is all it needs.

If there is no oil hole, then sometimes you can slip a thin tube from an oil bottle just inside the end of the housing and put a drop or so of oil on the felt piece.

Joe
Old 05-10-2015, 02:29 PM

Another blue beauty! I love these colorful machines!
Old 05-10-2015, 02:43 PM

Such a pretty blue!
Old 05-12-2015, 03:47 AM
Power Poster

Here is a link to an old thread you might enjoy it.
http://www.quiltingboard.com/vintage...r-t169127.html
Old 05-12-2015, 06:10 AM

Thank you Joe for this information. I was told to grease my White Rotary (another Japanese clone) but when I downloaded the instructions left for me, there was no mention of grease, but plenty about oiling. Thanks again.
Originally Posted by J Miller View Post
Holly,

Most sewing machine motors made after the 30s did not require grease. They switched to oil where lubrication is needed. Singer continued using the motor grease until sometime in the 60s I think.

For your clone, a good cleaning and oiling at the appropriate places is about all there is. If the motor is oilable you'll see a tiny little hole over the top of each end of the motor shaft on the outside of the case. One drop there every so often is all it needs.

If there is no oil hole, then sometimes you can slip a thin tube from an oil bottle just inside the end of the housing and put a drop or so of oil on the felt piece.

Joe
Old 05-12-2015, 02:53 PM

The only time grease is usually needed on a non-Singer machine is if it has gears. The motors don't take grease, like Joe said. The "ports" you're seeing on the motor are actually rivets that hold that plate on. Some rivets are solid, some are open in the middle. These are the latter. They don't receive oil. Where it will land on this motor would be potentially bad.
Old 05-12-2015, 04:32 PM

I'm glad to see this thread. I sew on my avatar, a Kenmore by Gritzner Kaiser. The service manual makes no mention of any maintenance on the motor. How can that be? How can a motor last 60+ years with no maintenance at all? I feel it must need oil or something but I still don't touch it for fear of doing something wrong.
Old 05-12-2015, 05:44 PM
Power Poster

Originally Posted by KenmoreGal2 View Post
I'm glad to see this thread. I sew on my avatar, a Kenmore by Gritzner Kaiser. The service manual makes no mention of any maintenance on the motor. How can that be? How can a motor last 60+ years with no maintenance at all? I feel it must need oil or something but I still don't touch it for fear of doing something wrong.
Just use it - keep everything moving - it is the setting around that kills them.
Old 05-12-2015, 05:45 PM

Originally Posted by miriam View Post
Just use it - keep everything moving - it is the setting around that kills them.
Easy 'nuf!! I use it just about every day. Thanks.