Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main > For Vintage & Antique Machine Enthusiasts
The cleaning of a 1948 featherweight >

The cleaning of a 1948 featherweight

The cleaning of a 1948 featherweight

Old 01-03-2012, 03:25 AM

Originally Posted by miriam View Post
how the groove thing goes
[ATTACH=CONFIG]299952[/ATTACH]
s
Miriam, your pic of the bobbin case base is great. It makes the screw on the left that removes the "gib" look a normal size. There is a piece of thread stuck in that area on my FW and the screw is soooooo tiny! I have several different screwdrivers that fit the slot (from my glasses kits) but I can't get that screw to budge!! I'm so frustrated...the only thing affected is the groves in my hands from the screwdriver. I have spraye
d it with Liquid Wrench, tried to turn it, sprayed it again and tried again many times. Don't want to strip the screw. Any suggestions? I don't have a "strong male" in my household to use his strength.

I've posted under the VSMS thread that both my FWs were being naughty girls!!!

Thanks for any help! Carolyn
Old 01-03-2012, 05:00 AM
Power Poster

I don't have a pic of her in her wedding dress. I'm not sure she does. She had pics in a closet one time and there was a moisture problem and most got ruined. Those old parachutes were made from white silk. I cried when she cut it up to line a coat - my sisters and I weren't too happy with her. My sister's husband was stationed in Hong Kong and bought his mom 5 yards of white silk brocade and gave it to her. The future MIL gave my sister the silk and my mom used every inch and made her wedding dress out of it. Funny - that FW is still alive.... never serviced... shaking my head.
Old 01-03-2012, 05:09 AM
Power Poster

Originally Posted by Nanamoms View Post
s
Miriam, your pic of the bobbin case base is great. It makes the screw on the left that removes the "gib" look a normal size. There is a piece of thread stuck in that area on my FW and the screw is soooooo tiny! I have several different screwdrivers that fit the slot (from my glasses kits) but I can't get that screw to budge!! I'm so frustrated...the only thing affected is the groves in my hands from the screwdriver. I have spraye
d it with Liquid Wrench, tried to turn it, sprayed it again and tried again many times. Don't want to strip the screw. Any suggestions? I don't have a "strong male" in my household to use his strength.
I would go walking in to a place that sells quality tools with that machine hanging on my arm. I don't think they will think you stole it... Ask them to sell you a screw driver that will fit that slot - It has to be a very thin and narrow blade - I have a long one that would do it. It is one of my prized possessions - I freak out when I can't find it - and I do misplace it all the time. I need it attached to my wrist or something. Pad the machine, then turn that thing on it's end in your lap and press down as you turn - the tool guy might even help you. (wink) Go easy on liquid wrench - it eats paint you know. Don't lose the screw - it's not very big.
Old 01-03-2012, 07:29 AM

Love this thread Miriam. Lots of good information for us all. Is the FW getting a name?
Old 01-03-2012, 07:56 AM

WOW, I really need to read and re-read this, I received a FW from my Husband for Chiristmas. I just don't know where I should start,,,,,,maybe a professional machine cleaning..... thanks for the photos and info.
Old 01-03-2012, 08:08 AM

You could also try PB Blaster on it. To me it works better than Liquid Wrench.

Originally Posted by Nanamoms View Post
s

I've posted under the VSMS thread that both my FWs were being naughty girls!!!

Thanks for any help! Carolyn
Old 01-03-2012, 08:13 AM
Power Poster

There are a lot of things you can squirt or dab on but you want to be careful not to take the paint off the machine.
Old 01-03-2012, 08:43 AM

Miriam, thank you for sharing the great story and pictures of your Mom's FW. You and sis did a great job. I am sure your mother really appreciates it.

Caroline, Have you tried a little heat with a hair dryer? Also, you may want to a gentle try a tap with a hammer on the screwdriver while you have it in the slot of the screw.
Old 01-03-2012, 08:48 AM
Power Poster

Thanks for posting this. My featherweight is okay, I think, but am going to learn to take care of it myself. At least that is my goal!!
Old 01-03-2012, 09:26 AM

Miriam, thanks for the wonderful pictorial and story as well. I relate to certain parts as my Mom sewed on a small 'toy' Singer..I know it sounds unbelievable..but my 2 older sisters confirm all that she made on it..I amazes me the indomitable spirit of the females of that era to overcome the challenges time..Thanks for the sharing...liz

[QUOTE=miriam;4836496] I'll try to unfold this story as I go along. Perhaps my sister will chime in along the way.
For Christmas my sister and I cleaned up Mom's FW.
QUOTE]