Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main > For Vintage & Antique Machine Enthusiasts
The cleaning of a 1948 featherweight >

The cleaning of a 1948 featherweight

The cleaning of a 1948 featherweight

Old 01-07-2012, 09:41 PM

Originally Posted by miriam View Post
I believe each little mark on the machine has a little story all its own.
Each little mark means that machine made something at home.
Was it made by a grandma sewing her wedding dress?
Was sewing a wedding quilt?
Was someone sewing the family's clothes?
Was it made by a kid learning to sew?
Was someone sewing up a torn tent?
Was sis making a new neck tie for dad?
Did the living room get totally redecorated with new curtains and new upholstery on the couch?
Prom dress?
bicycle clothes?
school clothes?
baby clothes?
What do the scars represent???
I am beginning to look at the pristine looking machines in a different light. I think I've actually seen more wrong with the nice looking machines than the old beater machines. It really didn't take much work to clean that machine for mom and get it running in top shape once again. Mom called last night and I read this all to her. She brought up more and more memories. This is good. Mom has a lot of problems with her memory. She loved Hobo's story especially. I think I will print out the stories and give it to mom.
Thank you Miriam for the nice little reminder of what our little machines just might have been through in all the years they were used.
When I got my 1945 Featherweight, it had a few more and deeper scratches on it than I thought I wanted. I was about to try filling them in or covering them up, when I thought....... It's as old as I am, maybe a child my age did some of those scratches and they are 'battle wounds' or that the fact that the little machine was REALLY USED a lot and APPRECIATED rather than just sit in a dark place (it's box) and just waiting to be used. I'd rather have a machine that was loved and appreciated than one that just sat there 'in case it was needed.' Mine is really loved and I really like looking at those scratches. They mean love to me. They will not be covered or filled in, just polished and loved. This is my favorite machine and I lam thrilled to have it.
Old 01-08-2012, 05:58 PM

Miriam, have you ever heard of 'PhotoWorks,' you can find them online. You can summit your pics and your story to them and have it bound in hard cover like a sofa-table book. They are the neatest thing. My daughter gave me a 60th birthday party, when I actually turn sixty and then had the pics made into that book. Your Mom will love that also. I love all of your stories, I guess because they are so true to our times. Try PhotoWorks.
Old 01-08-2012, 06:11 PM

You did a awesome/fabulous piece of work on that '48 FW. It is my birth year and so I feel sorta bonded and proud of it!
Old 02-11-2012, 07:24 AM
Power Poster

Originally Posted by cherrybsixty View Post
Miriam, have you ever heard of 'PhotoWorks,' you can find them online. You can summit your pics and your story to them and have it bound in hard cover like a sofa-table book. They are the neatest thing. My daughter gave me a 60th birthday party, when I actually turn sixty and then had the pics made into that book. Your Mom will love that also. I love all of your stories, I guess because they are so true to our times. Try PhotoWorks.
I just looked at photoworks - what a great idea! It is too bad we don't have many of the things that machine sewed for our family that could be included. Mom is famous for giving things away.
Old 03-19-2012, 02:18 PM

okay, sorry for not reposting. I could not find my question and I was getting worried that it did not get posted. I found it right now and I love you all. Thank you for helping me out. I did look at the bobbin thingi and that little notch thing is not where it should be. How do I get it where it should be????????????????? I got this machine and cleaned her up real nice. I used your cleaning things. I have been having alot of fun. Let me know when you get a chance.
Old 03-19-2012, 02:25 PM
Power Poster

Originally Posted by sweetpee View Post
okay, sorry for not reposting. I could not find my question and I was getting worried that it did not get posted. I found it right now and I love you all. Thank you for helping me out. I did look at the bobbin thingi and that little notch thing is not where it should be. How do I get it where it should be????????????????? I got this machine and cleaned her up real nice. I used your cleaning things. I have been having alot of fun. Let me know when you get a chance.
Just take off the throat plate, twiddle the bobbin around until the notch engages and screw down the throat plate. Easy.
Old 03-19-2012, 02:56 PM

I have an 1934 that is in worse shape than yours, but it sews great. I wouldn't give it up for anything. Have one suggestion for you, take off the machine oil on the outside of the machine. All that will do is collect dust and get icky after awhile.
Old 04-19-2012, 03:24 AM
Power Poster

I found a FW on CL a couple weeks ago. It was garaged for years - well maybe a shed..... out house??? Anyway the heat got to it before I did. It's belts were stuck onto it - rather melted. The finish on the machine turned to powder. It wasn't turning at all. It is missing cords and bobbin case... It was cheap. OK? Well, I thoroughly cleaned it and mechanically it is great. I put a bobbin case from a 301 and it sews a mean stitch perfectly. My husband tried Skipper Glenn's method of finish restore and it improved a lot. It still needs a belt, bobbin winder tire and a bobbin cases. It is not perfect and probably won't ever be but it is useable. AMAZING.
Old 05-24-2012, 05:55 PM
Power Poster

Originally Posted by miriam View Post
I found a FW on CL a couple weeks ago. It was garaged for years - well maybe a shed..... out house??? Anyway the heat got to it before I did. It's belts were stuck onto it - rather melted. The finish on the machine turned to powder. It wasn't turning at all. It is missing cords and bobbin case... It was cheap. OK? Well, I thoroughly cleaned it and mechanically it is great. I put a bobbin case from a 301 and it sews a mean stitch perfectly. My husband tried Skipper Glenn's method of finish restore and it improved a lot. It still needs a belt, bobbin winder tire and a bobbin cases. It is not perfect and probably won't ever be but it is useable. AMAZING.
I don't know if you can see it or not but something gold got on the finish on the one I have. (This is not Mom's machine) Maybe it is a good candidate for a repaint. Be careful what kind of stuff you use to clean the machine with. Glenn has an excellent tutorial on French polishing the old shellac finish.
[ATTACH=CONFIG]337756[/ATTACH]
Attached Thumbnails april-19-2012-marthas-185-301-my-128-66-039.jpg   april-19-2012-marthas-185-301-my-128-66-041.jpg  

Last edited by miriam; 05-24-2012 at 05:58 PM.
Old 05-24-2012, 06:01 PM
Power Poster

I don't know if I can find all the pictures we made when Phil French polished it.
pictures didn't load - I think they did load on Glenn's tutorial. - maybe they did come up...
Attached Thumbnails vindex-special-refinish-makeover-4-9-12-001.jpg  

Last edited by miriam; 05-24-2012 at 06:07 PM.