Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 3 4

Thread: Cleaning and repairing the shellac clear coat on vintage sewing mcahines

Blog Entries
    Cari are you saying the non acetone nail polish remover will remove any nail polish? If this is so this would be great. Not knowing anything about nails I always just use my wife's polish remover. I need to go read the label. I just know the old polish was lacquer then again what to I know about nails.
    Glenn W. Cleveland

Yep, I never had a problem removing any nail polish with non acetone remover and I had every kind you can think of. I went for color, not loyal to any brand. Some polishes I had were 30+ years old(think the old Avon stuff). Acetone remover works quicker with dark colors but the non acetone does work. Since they changed all the nail polish formulas to remove the carcinogens several years ago, some of the cheap stuff can be removed just by washing dishes or taking a shower if you don't clear coat it.

Cari
    Last edited by Cari-in-Oly; 01-03-2015 at 01:19 PM.

Blog Entries
    Thanks Cari, I will use the non acetone remover. I always used acetone but most people with out practice can mess things up with it. So now I know. Thank you for the info.
    Skip
    Glenn W. Cleveland

I know this thread is quite old but I wanted to chime in with my experience. I took denatured alcohol to the head of a 201 without minding the decals at all. My pad was soaked with the stuff. It immediately turned my gold decals to silver! I couldn't believe what I was seeing. I obviously didn't know what I was doing and I thought the denatured alcohol would do no harm! Oops! It is fine, I just have an original Singer 201 with silver decals. Live and learn, as they say!

Hi Glenn,

To put new decals on the machine do I;
    1. lightly sand decal areas
    2. buff the area
    3. apply decals
    4. apply shellac
    5. apply polish and wax.

Is this a correct procedure?

Also, where is the best place to get decals for my 201-2 1948 Singer?

Thanks,
    Frank

Blog Entries
    Just make sure the area is clean not need to sand. Apply decals and then let them dry for a day then clear coat with shellac. Let the shellac cure for a week and the polish and wax as desired. Ebay is the best for Singer decals.
    Glenn W. Cleveland

Hi Glen, my machine has excellent decals and shine but I've noticed some cracks in what I think is the clear coating. Would you recommend I do what you've written in this thread ? I'm new to restoring and shellacking so I'm nervous to jump in and attempt to fix it without someone else's advice. Thanks, Natalie
    Name:  image.jpeg
Views: 93
Size:  1.13 MB Name:  image.jpeg
Views: 94
Size:  1,017.7 KB

Blog Entries
    Natalie. You could try to french polish them out but I would leave them alone. I would practice on an old machine first if you are not familiar with this you could do more harm than good. Read and practice first. I recommend you leave it alone.
    Glenn W. Cleveland

Quote Originally Posted by Glenn View Post
    Natalie. You could try to french polish them out but I would leave them alone. I would practice on an old machine first if you are not familiar with this you could do more harm than good. Read and practice first. I recommend you leave it alone.
    Ok thanks. I hope to use my machine this year for some sewing projects. From your response I gather it's just cosmetic cracks in the clear polish that I shouldn't be concerned about. Is that right? I only wipe my machine down with singer sewing machine oil so I'm hoping that's all I need to do to prevent it from getting worse. I was worried the cracks could go deeper and paint may flake off.

Blog Entries
    Only cosmetic, just wipe it down with machine oil. Yes by all means use the machine.
    Glenn W. Cleveland

Is this mold?

I received this a couple of months ago. It was my mother's machine. I learned to sew on it. My Dad gave it to my mom as a present the year I was born. It is very sentimental to me. I've done nothing to it so far, but have it on the top of my list as a project. (I'm parting out all the machines that are in the way right now.)

It has those white dots, which I would guess is mold. As I understand it, the shellac is breaking down. You can see on the top where the machine was lifted and lowered many times. I'm not sure if it's dirty or the shellac is going south.

I noted that you suggested that the french polish takes some practice. I have a 201-2 that is about the same age and condition (minus the white spots) that I could start on. However, I really like that one, too and don't want to mess it up either.

What do you suggest?

bkay
    Attached Images Attached Images

Blog Entries
    Try TR3 and see if it helps the white spots just go easy with it. Always test.
    The cracking is from extreme temperatures.
    NEVER let a sewing machine know you are in a hurry.
    good mothers let you lick the beaters - great mothers turn it off first

Do you mean TR3 resin glaze polish?

It really needs some kind of "soap and water" treatment. I think it has a lot of hand grime. It's evident on the cabinet. Is there some kind of cleaner that works and won't harm the finish (machine, not cabinet)?

I just realized that the spots are not on the machine, just that spacer that the wires go through and the plug. Would that make any difference on how it is handled?

bkay
    Last edited by bkay; 01-03-2017 at 06:37 AM.

I would use Lysol wipes on the spacer but not on the machine. use the TR3 resin glaze like Miriam suggested on the machine. Follow the instructions on the can to a tee. The first go round will clean the machine, then the next go round will polish it. Have a good supply of cotton balls handy.

Cari

Thanks, Cari and Miriam.

bkay

Hi there. I had asked a question in a thread I started, and some of our lovely members suggested I post here. I have a new to me Pfaff 130 with some serious crazing (I word I just learned) on the bed. I've read this thread carefully, and am wondering if the French polishing technique will work for me. there is a "bald spot" in one area, and some of the flakes feel kind of loose. Here's a picture. May or may not be as bad as I fear.

Thanks!
    Maggie

Name:  15841389_1439080649438317_368472294_n.jpg
Views: 92
Size:  79.6 KB

Blog Entries
    If Glenn doesn't pop on here with an idea of what you can do send him a pm
    NEVER let a sewing machine know you are in a hurry.
    good mothers let you lick the beaters - great mothers turn it off first

Blog Entries
    You can help this machine with french polish. You will need denatured alcohol and linseed oil. Use the technique as described only start with alcohol and oil (stay away from the decals). Dip cloth on finger in alcohol and then add a drop or two of oil. Now lightly go over the crazing in a circular motion smoothing out the crazy. This will take some time and may take longer than a day or two. After the finish is to your liking you can proceed with the shellac french polish to shin it up. I recommend you practice on an old machine first. Remember to move fast or your cloth will stick to the surface. You can also sand with fine wet or dry sand paper and sewing machine oil to smooth but don't cut thru the black finsih. Then french polish with shellac several times until the finish is even and shiny. Please read the instructions carefully and practice on an old machine before working on your good machine.
    Last edited by Glenn; 01-05-2017 at 05:26 AM.
    Glenn W. Cleveland

What cleaning products would you use on Singer 301 mocha color? Tryed soap and water and finish started coming off?

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 3 4