Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main > For Vintage & Antique Machine Enthusiasts
Color Featherweights -- refurbed and painted bright colors >

Color Featherweights -- refurbed and painted bright colors

Color Featherweights -- refurbed and painted bright colors

Old 11-11-2014, 04:46 AM

There is no shortage of beautiful condition black FWs out there - so I see nothing bad about taking the not so nice ones and making them beautiful again.

I feel differently about much older machines that are rare and in very good condition. Though some really rare are great no matter what condition - as they are so rare.
Old 11-11-2014, 06:10 AM

I think I've seen this same guy at the quilt show my guild puts on. I didn't grab a business card and I've kicked myself a couple times since. He had several of the black FW's all restored for sale, then he had 3-4 painted ones too. I think if I ever let myself get bit by the FW bug I'd want one of the custom paint ones too. I didn't buy but I sure enjoyed looking.
Old 11-11-2014, 06:44 AM

Every time I see one, something inside of me dies.
Old 11-11-2014, 06:48 AM

OMG - I went right past Mountain View, MO on my way to Paducah on Friday and on my way home on Sunday. My oldest daughter took me to Paducah to see my youngest DD. We actually ate at the McDonald's in Mountain View on our way home for lunch. I will try to find out if he has a store that we could stop at on one of our trips.!!!!!
Old 11-11-2014, 07:22 AM

Originally Posted by KenmoreRulesAll View Post
Every time I see one, something inside of me dies.
But sometimes it's better to paint it and use it than let it sit in horrible condition. I have a FW with a pristine paint job but my daughter's, although it sews beautifully, has paint that is bubbled and blistered. Every time she uses it, more paint flakes off. Someday, we'll get that machine painted cherry red and it will be beautiful again.
Old 11-11-2014, 08:27 PM

I had my 1947 FW repainted, its a dark purple. The paint color is Radar Blue, original to a 2004 Chrysler PT Cruiser. The man who did the painting did a beautiful job; however putting machine back together left much to be desired. My machine sat "in-time-out" for over a year, because it wouldn't sew very well any more.
Before I sent her off to be painted, she sewed perfectly. But she needed a new dress and decals; most of the paint along the leading edge was gone and all of the clear coat and decals too.
I finally took her to my favorite OSMG, he put her to rights again and am very happy that she sews like she's supposed to. The take up lever was slightly bent, the tension was assembled wrong and the bobbin case base wasn't reassembled properly after painting. He said that it was a shame that I had to spend more money to get it fixed.
Sharon in Tx
Old 11-11-2014, 09:08 PM

there's a fw group on facebook some friends are in so I joined- the other day a guy was posting a lot of pics of fws he's painted and there are 3 more sources I can find out about - one saw on another quilt forum and the 2 locals have shipped theirs to out of state and been happy.
I would sorta like one but I couldn't do it to any of my 3 even the one that has the worst cosmetic condition - it's not bad enough.one antique sewingmachine place says they sell some for painting if theyre just in really bad shape but sew well so Id have to get one like that
Old 11-12-2014, 05:58 AM

I'd love to have a repainted beauty in the color of my choice. I've got enough Collectable examples, and they won't get touched. Only problem is I don't have any I'd consider "worth" doing this too - as they are all worth more with their original coat on!
Old 11-12-2014, 11:31 AM

Default Colored featherwights

Fred Schwitzer comes to Paducah and has some pretty red ones. He can be found at Suncatcher.com. He is from Texas and a FW expert. prices are reasonable for the quality. I have purchased several things from him. Very nice man.
Old 11-12-2014, 01:16 PM

if you have the chance to stop in and visit Delbert Godsey, in Mt. View, Mo. make sure you do, so you can see his wonderful collection of toy machines. He is a very nice man and I love his machines, I have 3 repainted Featherweights and I love them!!( a fuchsia, a blue and a green) I also have 2 black FW, I have had 3 other FW, 2 white ones I gave to my 4H students, and a black one given to one of my sisters. I know some folks have a tizzy fit about repainted machines, but I love color, it's why I quilt, I love colors, and I love my colored machines!