Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main > For Vintage & Antique Machine Enthusiasts
"Convertible" sewing machine table? >

"Convertible" sewing machine table?

"Convertible" sewing machine table?

Old 12-22-2014, 08:14 AM

Default "Convertible" sewing machine table?

I am thinking on converting my wood craft table into a sewing machine table, something that I can use for some of my machines that don't have cabinets, especially my 301, but I also have a couple of other vintage machines.

Do any of you have suggestions/photos/ideas? I think I would like to be able to replace the cut0out section when not sewing, to still have a flat surface when needed.

If that isn't possible I still think I want to do this.
Old 12-22-2014, 09:34 AM

If you’re going to have a group of machines that take different sized openings and hinge placements, you might consider cutting one over-sized rectangular hole in your craft table, and then make an assortment of inserts (including a solid one for crafting) for the machine types that you want to mount in it. There are some good ideas about it over at the TreadleOn site under Universal Treadles.

CD in Oklahoma
Old 12-22-2014, 09:52 AM

We went the route of making a base they fit into - and that fits into the cutout on the table. The machine can not be lowered though - The bases are all the same exterior, but they are different interior so they fit each specific machine, and the machine is hinged into the base so it can be tipped back for oiling.

The good part, when placed on the shelf, the base is still attached to the machine.

Though so far, DH has only made one . . . but we've got the plans made. They are actually made from 2x4's and routered out for the different machines. This way we've got a lot of wood to work with. Some will have a lot routered out and some will have very little. And we may even have some that need wood added as they are quite narrow.

I also plan on doing something similar with a hand crank - make a wood part that attaches to the base that the handcrank mounts to.

Here is where the "idea" came from. This table is made to accept the base of a bentwood case machine.

and when you take the machine out, the tray that it sits on can be lifted and blocks can be rotated that hold it in the upright position.
Old 12-22-2014, 10:04 AM

Thanks, CD and Cathy. I am saving and checking out the site, and the picture. Nice, Cathy.
Old 12-22-2014, 10:12 AM

If you plan to use the original cutout as the plug use a jigsaw. Drill the smallest hole you can for the blade and carefully cut the opening. Make the opening a little bigger than needed. You're going to need to make a tray for the machines to sit in and you will also need a lip around the tray to support the cutout. Without having the table in front of me I have to keep things pretty general.
Rodney
Old 12-22-2014, 10:49 AM

Here are more pictures to give you ideas. I'd get better ones but the cabinet is tucked behind two parlor cabinets which are surrounded by machine heads - I will be so glad when I move everything out (building is getting insulation put in ceiling today).

there are metal brackets on the long sides of the cutout, and a board underneath that rotates into them.

This shows the hardware - the insert has a small metal square that keeps it from being removable.

This sort of shows the metal support that the insert sits on in the Down position. It is a U shaped bracket with wood on top. I suppose that is one way to get it just the right height, as the base for the 128 is actually shorter than the base for the 99 - put in a different height wood lift and this would work for either.

the bracket is attached to the table -that other small piece of metal is the tab attached to the insert. In the picture they sort of look like they are one piece.

you can tell this spent most of it's time with the machine in place.

And with the machine in and the cover in place.

BTW- this particular table is made to use a specific knee bar that fits behind the skirt and into the hole in the base.
Old 12-22-2014, 11:15 AM
Banned

If you google "Ikea table sewing machine hacks" You'll get many, many ideas. This has been done in so many ways you'll have a hard time deciding which one to use.

Cari
Old 12-22-2014, 11:39 AM

I love "ikea hacks" lots of great ideas there. One of the things I love about Ikea - you can often easily modify it and have something that works and looks OK to.
Old 12-22-2014, 01:00 PM

This is the one I posted to the QB a couple of years ago:
http://www.quiltingboard.com/tutoria...e-t216324.html
http://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1...e-t216312.html

There are 2 links there because it got splintered when a mod copied it to the tutorials section.

I've since made version 2.0 with Ikea parts and at standing height to match my cutting table but it's not quite ready for viewing yet.