Cracked Treadle Base

Old 08-08-2014, 10:48 PM

Default Cracked Treadle Base

hi,

new member here and as it says - this is my first post so please bear with me. if i crossed over the line my apologies. anyway i just got a 'new' old singer treadle machine and when i was cleaning the base, i noticed 2 cracks. how do i fix this one ? can this be welded and has anyone tried welding it ? or will i be OK by just ignoring them? thanks.
Attached Thumbnails photo-3-copy.jpg  
Old 08-08-2014, 11:01 PM

Welcome aboard!
Cast iron can be tricky to weld. Brazing might be a better option. Your best bet would be to take it apart and bring the legs to your local welding shop. They'll tell you your best options for the repairs. You can also shop around for a parts treadle. Parts are also available on Ebay but shipping adds up quickly.
Rodney
Old 08-08-2014, 11:28 PM

yes, Rodney, i was thinking about brazing it. but will definitely try and see if a welder can weld it. not so sure about the price though. hopefully they will not cost so much. thank you.
Old 08-09-2014, 01:05 AM

If you post your general location someone nearby might have a spare leg for much less.
Old 08-09-2014, 05:38 AM

Currenty I've got two sets of legs like that - for restore and other projects. Also - there are two sizes of them, so if you get a replacement (width is different, height is the same) make sure you get the correct size.
Old 08-09-2014, 05:45 AM

Here in Springfield a machine shop quoted me $35.00 per break to braze broken cast iron treadle frames. I haven't gotten it done yet as other things always seem to get in the way.

Joe
Old 08-09-2014, 09:19 AM

I see why you've been putting those repairs off Joe.
Rodney
Old 08-09-2014, 12:48 PM

Default Welding Cast Iron

There is a way to weld cast. There is a cast rod especially for that purpose. Also a #13 rod. Also, a stainless rod can be used. Your local welding shop or capable farmer can advise. Shop around. High school shop class can sometime be helpful and it won't cost a lot. Try several to get the best deal. Good luck.
Donna
Old 08-09-2014, 01:27 PM

thanks guys. if the cost here is anywhere near cost in IL to weld this thing, i guess this will be in the back burner for awhile. i don't want to spend $70 just to have it welded. i might just do a temporary DIY bracing, if i want to use it, to keep it from moving left to right. i see no problem for the up and down motion as there is the belt to hold it down. the downside though is, putting too much pressure on the belt. but this might work for me instead of paying $70. for $70 i can buy another treadle. i hope some members who replied are near me but i way here in the west coast. i will check the school thingy or check my local welding shop. again thank you all for the advises. will let you all know what i have decided or done later on.

or i might just drill a hole and just tie it with metal wire. good ? not good ?
Old 08-09-2014, 06:30 PM

I'm west coast but I don't weld or know anyone who does. I wouldn't drill it, just the wire and maybe a splint (for lack of a better term) of some sort would be enough if the wire is good and tight and it can be removed at some point if you want a real repair and no harm done to the stand.
What brand stand is it? I saw a New Home leg at a junk vendor's stall here in Centralia yesterday.
Rodney