Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main > For Vintage & Antique Machine Enthusiasts
"Deer in the headlights" everywhere in my quilt quild >

"Deer in the headlights" everywhere in my quilt quild

"Deer in the headlights" everywhere in my quilt quild

Old 10-08-2013, 04:47 AM

You are so lucky to have a Featherweight - in my quilting group, we all suffer from Featherweight envy!! After reading your post, I am reminded that I need to keep my mind open to different points of view and maybe every so often, leave my comfort zone and actually tackle something new! Good lesson for today - thanks
Old 10-08-2013, 05:01 AM

I had much the same reaction when I took my FW to a quilt class, most had never seen one before. They all had the latest electronic machines, I also have a Husqvarna SE but only use it for embroidery( sometimes think I should not have bought such an expensive machine). I prefer to use one of my Singer oldies! Would love to be able to take my 66 treadle to a class to see the reactions!
Old 10-08-2013, 05:09 AM
Power Poster

They just had too many individuals in their lives telling them they couldn't do this or that and they listened to them. Many grew up in an era where and when a woman needed something fixed they thought they had to wait on a man to fix it. Luckily, when I needed anything fixed and asked my dad for help, he guided me along the way with what ever tool it took for me too fix it. I was 12 years old and helped my dad put a roof on a shed. Helped DH along with my son put a transmission and engine in a car. Of course I don't ever want to do either again but if I have to I can. just go slow. You may be surprised one day if one of the members asks you to help with their machine. If that happens give them the tools and guide. Like the saying goes "Give a man a fish and he will be able to have a meal. Show him how to fish and he will be able to have meals for a lifetime." Or something like that. Their internal pride or self-esteem will be lifted so high you will see it in their attitudes and they will be truly grateful!
Old 10-08-2013, 05:19 AM

I haven't had to take my FW to a guild meet yet, but most guild members in the know would LOVE to have your FW. Maybe they are jealous or just uneducated??? I have had my FW since the early 80's. While working at the home of my husband's boss, the boss came home, looked at my FW and said, "What's it gonna be when it's grows up?" HA! Bet his wife's machine is dead by now. Another comment was from a person in their 20's who said, "Man, that's on OLD machine." Then she asked me to sew something for her baby. Bwah ha ha! I don't think so!! If your guild president is smart, she'll have you do a demo of your FW and let you tell why it's so special. Good luck on the guild thing. I'm just into my first year. NOT a joiner.
Old 10-08-2013, 05:47 AM

I agree with other posts that the guild members are perhaps a bit jealous or maybe intimidated by you. They don't quite know how to take you. I think what you're doing is fabulous and I hope you keep it up. Great for you!! Also agree that hopefully you (and maybe the other FW owner) can do some kind of demonstration for your guild and educate them. I'm impressed that you work on your FW yourself. Good for you!

In my guild there are several members - maybe half a dozen - who have FW's. In fact, I just recently bought a 221 and just love it.

Keep doing what you're doing!

Jane
Old 10-08-2013, 05:48 AM

Oh my, what a lot to think about. It was one of my guild members that got me hooked on FWs. I was one of those "gotta have the best and most expensive" at that time. I was a snob.... I admit it. But not anymore. It was just a phase in my life where I strayed from the path. When I was a teen I used to change the oil in my car and build whatever I wanted..... even though Dad wouldn't teach me how to weld because I was a girl. I'm back to doing any and everything and loving it. The DH and I even remodeled our cabin at the lake over the last 3 years. I was the one crawling under the house hooking up the plumbing because DH wouldn't fit in the tight places.

As far as your guild members having that 'deer in the headlights' look, I'm thinking they would love to have your skills but are afraid to try. Too many women get stuck in that life..... fragile and all, you know. But it's so much more fun and satisfying to tackle things yourself...... Yeah!! And if we don't pass on the skills we have, the art will die.
Old 10-08-2013, 06:46 AM

Default Confessions of a "Deer-In-Headlights"; My name is Ron and I'm an addict.

Originally Posted by nanna-up-north View Post
As far as your guild members having that 'deer in the headlights' look, I'm thinking they would love to have your skills but are afraid to try.
I've been collecting and sewing for only a few months and have the MachinicusMustasRecuitis bad. I don't frequent quilting gatherings, but, I would have been one of the "deer-in-headlights." Recently, I confessed my low respect for sewing machine repair persons to my wife (her grandfather was a Singer repair person.) Now, I are one, as the joke goes. Vintage machines lure is difficult to explain to the uninitiated. I would never have been stricken with the disease if not for needing a good machine to do a particular job. After spending $500 for an industrial machine, I now know all I needed was a class 15 and possibly a walking foot attachment. I would like to have that original $500 back - - - to spend on more vintage machines.
Old 10-08-2013, 07:13 AM

I always bring a vintage machine to guild events and all of the women love my machines. They've always been very interested and supportive. The only snarky comments I've received are from local quilt shop ladies who are also in the business of selling new machines. I don't visit that LQS often, so pffft to them! I do have a newer, TOL Bernina but it's so delicate and in the shop so often as it is, I for sure don't want to be moving it or traveling with it in my car. So, my vintage machines get to do any road trips with me. And they're always reliable and do their job and my guild friends are usually curious to see which machine is with me.
Old 10-08-2013, 07:23 AM

Originally Posted by Candace View Post
The only snarky comments I've received are from local quilt shop ladies who are also in the business of selling new machines. I don't visit that LQS often, so pffft to them!
I find this too here at our local shops and at sewing fairs, these women are SUPER snobby when it comes to machines. There is a thrift store right next door to a Sewing Shop, so I never expect to find any good vintage machines there, because I thought the ladies at the sewing store would pop over and clean the place out of anything good. Well one day I went to the thrift store and saw the Singer 201k for super cheep, I didn't buy it at the time, but I went next door to the sewing shop and asked the lady at the counter if she was interested in a really good machine and that there was a Singer 201k at the store next door for cheep. She looked at me with vengfull deer in the headlights and then firmly stated "its probably a hunk of junk" ...and then looked at me like she wanted me to leave the store...well, I was taken aback by her rudeness at my harmless observation and then tried to buy a magnetic pin holder but no one would help me find one, so I left. I don't shop at the sewing store anymore. But on a good note, at least I know there are good machines to found at that thrift store, heck maybe one day I'll find a featherweight there. The ladies next door are 0 competition for them.
Old 10-08-2013, 07:45 AM
Banned

Funny, I don't go to group events, but I post pictures in my cube of some of my machines and the original reaction here at work from the ladies mostly was "why would you collect those old Pretty derelicts" Well, after giving them some edumacation they now understand that the modern machine they bought was an expensive marketing and manufacturing ploy. I am cleaning up my New Home handcrank and it will be living in my cube for times when I need to stare at something that is not electronic.... That should be fun....