Do I Really Need a 301???

Old 07-26-2013, 10:10 AM

Originally Posted by Candace View Post
Actually, I think most FMQers would not agree. I've got a lot of experience FMQing. I would suspect if the 301 you're using is giving you issues, it needs adjustment or it's an end user problem. It takes a lot of practice to FMQ.
I agree with Candace.

It's one of 3 machines I used regularly for FMQ until I got my short arm/ frame last week. Now, I guess we'll see what happens as far as FMQ on a DSM. The other 2 were the Pfaff 6122 and a 15-90, both low shanks.

The 301 is quite possibly the -only- slant that almost everyone will tell you is great for FMQ.
"The Singer 301 is highly coveted by quilters for it's power, precision and wonderful free-motion capabilities." - Jenny at Sew Classic - http://blog.sew-classic.com/2009/03/...=3&view=linear
http://www.quiltingboard.com/vintage...t226197-2.html
http://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1...a-t114744.html
Old 07-26-2013, 11:31 AM

I really want and have been looking for a 301 sewing machine to FMQ, but have not seen one close to me for sale. I am in Northern California (San Francisco Bay Area). The reason I want one is because everyone says they are great Vintage machines for FMQ. Perhaps one day...!
Old 07-26-2013, 12:29 PM
Banned

[QUOTE=kepeters7;6197687]I really want and have been looking for a 301 sewing machine to FMQ, but have not seen one close to me for sale. I am in Northern California (San Francisco Bay Area). The reason I want one is because everyone says they are great Vintage machines for FMQ. Perhaps one day...![/QUOTE

I tell ya what. You tell me your budget (PM ok) and timeframe and as a fellow SF Bay area person, I will help you track one down in the price range you need.
Old 07-26-2013, 09:11 PM

I have three FW's (2 for sale) and would LOVE to have a 301! I keep an eye on CL (saw two in Washington State, but didn't get any response to my inquiries) - I was willing to make a three hour drive to buy it, oh well. I also keep an eye on www.shopgoodwill.com - I bought a Singer 40K recently from our local Goodwill (won the bid on the website). I only bid on things locally so I don't have to worry about them being shipped - didn't have a good first experience and not willing to chance it again.
Old 07-27-2013, 02:54 AM

Bargains are out there, keep looking. I found one in a nice cabinet on CL. They listed it for $50. I went to see it. It was leftover from a garage sale to clear a grandma's house for sale, one of the only items left before closing on the house. They had a piece of tape on it stating $25 OBO. The lady whipped that off. She said she wanted $50. I offered her $40 and told her it was the best offer. I still got a bargain. Have to replace a cord, but she's in great shape.

I have had an issue with new bobbins I bought for it, they won't wind, but the 3 originals I got with the machine work great. Was told here on QB to get the ones from Sew Classic, so next order I'm going to do that.
Old 07-27-2013, 06:53 AM

Originally Posted by lhayes1976 View Post
My newest obsession is finding a 301!! I have two Featherweights and a 15-91 and I love all of them. I just finished a baby quilt with the 15-91--as usual she FMQ like a dream. Will I love a 301 as much as I do my other lovely ladies?
I would love to round off my collection with a nice 301. I have ten machines and a serger but still pine for a 301
Old 07-27-2013, 07:22 AM

Originally Posted by DanofNJ View Post
I've found that the 301's really don't work well for FMQ, the angle of attach of the needle doesn't lend itself, IMHO, to consistency in stitch or motion. Most FMQer's, I believe, will agree with this. Though the machine does have a vertical bobbin, a "straight" up down motion will yield better results such as in the 15-91 etc. The needle, in my experience, gets hung up with the slanted attack in the piercing. I'm sure there are some who can do it, but I've tried with the 301 and it doesn't yield good results for me. For straight stitching, it does beautifully, but certainly not the first choice for FMQ.
Thank you for answering, DanofNJ. I wish I was closer so I could take a look at the machine for you. I've never had problems with a 301 and I wonder if yours might need an adjustment? What foot do you use? That can make a difference. Or, forgive me for saying this, it could be technique, maybe just a small thing. I've never had a problem with stitch quality on a 301 and I've free motion quilted at least 50 quilts on mine. (I have two.) If you ever find yourself and your machine in Massachusetts, I'd be happy to help you with this.
Old 07-27-2013, 08:20 AM

Originally Posted by cricket_iscute View Post
What foot do you use? That can make a difference.
I completely agree with this. I have the "Big Foot" darning foot, and it skips stitches. The other 2 feet I have don't. I can literally not change anything but the foot and it will skip. There are a lot variables. I don't think I've noticed the slant needle itself causing problems, though before I tried it I was sure it would, and was pleasantly surprised when it didn't.
Old 07-27-2013, 02:06 PM

I've been asking myself the same question! I've been wanting and waiting for a 301 to show up on our local craigslist or at an estate sale. When an ad came up for a vintage sewing machine in cabinet with no other description other than it was a singer (the lady was really trying to sell the cabinet), I could tell by the picture that it was a 301. Then my want became a need! I had to have it. She was willing to take less than she wanted and I am now the proud owner of a Singer 301! A very dirty 301, but it works! Cue Donna Summer...I'm so excited!
Old 07-28-2013, 08:14 PM

I don't really need one, either - but, I have 2 and love them!