Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main > For Vintage & Antique Machine Enthusiasts
Do Vintage Machines Call their Old Friends and Tell Them to Come Join the Party? >

Do Vintage Machines Call their Old Friends and Tell Them to Come Join the Party?

Do Vintage Machines Call their Old Friends and Tell Them to Come Join the Party?

Old 06-10-2012, 05:45 PM

Originally Posted by BizzieLizzie View Post
Hear! Hear! I support this theory!
And my last one came all the way from Dallas to find me! LOL
Old 06-10-2012, 11:10 PM

They seem to follow me home......sometimes you just can't save them all,

[ATTACH=CONFIG]341275[/ATTACH]
Attached Thumbnails 100_8889.jpg  
Old 06-11-2012, 06:19 AM

Now that is a very sad sight.
Old 06-11-2012, 07:11 AM

Oh, I just realized! I've got it too.

The youngest machine in my house is 11 years old. The eldest is dated somewhere in the 1920s and there are 3 between them. All of them are set up to sew in my sewing room and I use them all regularly.

And I never thought I had an addictive personality! I should have known. The first thing I wanted to know about Gram's treadle was how it worked. She taught me how to clean and oil it. Only then did I demand to be shown how to sew. Live and learn.

Thank all of you for the unalloyed pleasure I get from reading "Vintage....". And thank you for giving my mornings something to always look forward to. (I hate mornings on average.)

Pat
Old 06-11-2012, 06:42 PM

I'm telling you, I started last year and I now have 12 old Vintage and Antique machines. It is very addictive. The oldest one is 104 years old. It is a Singer model 27 treadle. It sews like a charm. I had one other one and I sold it. With the 12 old ones and my 4 embroidery machines I have a house full. I would still like to have a featherweight. That might be the last, did I say last one, lol...They just seem to find me now. Good luck on your addiction, it sounds like you husband is also addicted. Joy
Old 06-11-2012, 07:14 PM

I used to watch my grandmother sew using her Singer treadle machine. I'm not sure what model it was, but it is now with another family member and well-loved. I've always wanted to have one of my own. Last week at an estate sale, I found a machine for sale for $10. I'm not sure who made it, but it is a Minnehaha model. I think it may have been made by National, but I really don't anything about it. I wasn't too sure about it, but when I went back on the last day of the sale, it was half-price. For $5, I couldn't pass it up. I couldn't imagine leaving it there. Silly, but I didn't think anyone would love it the way I could. I packed up the drawers, folded up the machine and brought it to the check-out table. As I was checking out, he told me that the drawers were being sold separately, but he'd give them to me with the machine. He even told me that the top was bad, but I could take the top off, replace it with a new top and use it as a table. I told him, "I want to use the machine!" He wasn't too sure what to think of that, but I am very happy to have it and can't wait to get it cleaned, oiled and humming.

Last summer, my neighbor gave me her grandmother's Singer, circa 1935. It's in beautiful condition except for the veneer on the case cover. I also bought a charming Kenmore at Goodwill for $4 in the cabinet and gave it to my 13 year old daughter. I have other machines for every day sewing, but I really am fascinated by the vintage machines. I can't wait to add to the family!
Old 06-11-2012, 08:01 PM

Of course they holler out to their relatives! I find they seem to travel in 3 around my house. Lately I have come across a few that really need love but I have told DH nope it is not on my wish list so it cant go home with us. It has gotten to the point that when come across a machine at a yard sale or thrift store he goes to it and starts to check it out, spins the hand wheel lifts it up to see what the bottom looks like, never thought that day would come!
Old 06-12-2012, 04:39 AM

Originally Posted by w1613s View Post
Oh, I just realized! I've got it too...
Thank all of you for the unalloyed pleasure I get from reading "Vintage....". Pat
I too really love reading the vintage section and detailed stories of how it all came about - like many of yours! So many of us have fond memories of sewing machines from our childhoods and that seems to play a big part in the attraction to vintage machines now. By golly some of you have snapped up some INCREDIBLE bargains! It is also interesting too see that sometimes your DH or DW also catches the vintage sewing machine bug. And what do you all do when the machines start to take over the house? Walk around with a huge grin? LOL!
Old 06-12-2012, 11:49 AM

I have 4 treadles, 2 featherweights, a couple 91's, a hand crank and a couple others. They saw my house and just followed me home. In all fairness, hubby is just as bad as I am, he loves these old machines and likes to bring them back to their former glory. So I have an enabler. HaHa!
Old 06-12-2012, 11:53 AM

Hi,
Brand new to QB I am so additcted to machines old and new! My newest and current favorite is a Babylock Serenade.
Old and New I think have 21. Isn't that awful. Yes, I love to work on them. Many over the years have been donated
to charities and fund drives.