Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main > For Vintage & Antique Machine Enthusiasts
Do you sell vintage machines without table or case? >

Do you sell vintage machines without table or case?

Do you sell vintage machines without table or case?

Old 06-03-2014, 05:25 AM

Miriam, that is adorable! I have to make it for something around here! Very nice!
Old 06-03-2014, 08:42 AM

Miram, I love it!
Old 06-03-2014, 08:58 AM

Here's a cover I made for my White DRESSMASTER. Not simple like Miriam's, but it works superb.

[ATTACH=CONFIG]477754[/ATTACH]
Of course this machine had a base so it was fairly easy to work with.

To answer the original question I will sell a machine without a case or cabinet "IF" the customer wants. But I prefer not to.

Joe
Attached Thumbnails louise-cover-front.jpg  
Old 06-03-2014, 10:22 AM

Nice case Joe! Yes I would prefer to sell them with a case whenever possible. I know I always want a case or cabinet for mine.
Old 06-03-2014, 10:52 AM
Power Poster

Some times you just can't sell one in a case. I also have had DH make some frames for a machine to sit in.
Old 06-03-2014, 02:31 PM

As soon as I can make some room in the garage I've got three or four bottoms to make tops for and I want to try to make an entire sewing machine case for my Singer 99K Hand crank machine. Gads that sounds like a lot of work.

Joe
Old 06-04-2014, 04:59 AM

Originally Posted by J Miller View Post
As soon as I can make some room in the garage I've got three or four bottoms to make tops for and I want to try to make an entire sewing machine case for my Singer 99K Hand crank machine. Gads that sounds like a lot of work.

Joe
It really does. I haven't made something like that, but it seems like a bottom would be easier than a top!
Old 06-04-2014, 05:46 AM

Christy,

Might be. I've fixed enough of them, fabricating parts as needed. But I've never made one from scratch.
Hopefully this summer ... ha ha I might get to it.

Joe
Old 06-04-2014, 02:02 PM

I’ve sold several machine heads without a case or even a base. Most of them were “beaters” that needed restoration work done, so the Buyer can decide whether to put it into a base, case, cabinet, or use it for a parts machine. I don’t care.

I have also sold some operating Singer 99 machines without a base or case that I had converted to handcrank operation. I can’t find vintage bases for them, much less a case that will close with an aftermarket hand attachment mounted on it, so I sell them without a case or a base. The end-user can buy a base or a case of their choice. I don’t make them. I have begun putting a rubber boot on the foot that is actually part of the hook assembly, and that helps keep the machine from sliding around somewhat. Hand cranking seems to make the machine move worst than using it with an electric motor, so using one on a slick surface can be a problem. I recommend setting the machine on a piece of the non-slip mats available to help keep it from sliding.

I tried one of the new plastic cases for the 3/4-siz machines for a Singer 185K that I converted to hand operation. It was a full-sized case with 3/4-size hinge pins. I won’t try another one. When the case is lifted by the carrying handle, the case flexes to let the machine fall into the bottom of the case. No damage done, but I had to pop the machine back up out of the bottom of the case every time that I took the top off of it. (Yea, I know, you’re not supposed to carry a sewing machine case by the handle, but I do.)

CD in Oklahoma
Old 06-05-2014, 06:16 PM

My Kenmore is rock solid when standing on its three little legs, but I attribute this mainly to the fact that is cast iron and it weighs around 40 pounds!

I agree that you should offer the case. Explain that it's not a very good one, and leave the decision to the buyer.

You never know, they may be a collector, or be trying to find a machine just like the one their mom taught them to sew on or something.
That type of buyer may appreciate the case even if it's for sentimental rather than practical reasons.