Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Thread: Do you sell vintage machines without table or case?

Do you sell vintage machines without table or case?

I have a Kenmore cleaned up and ready to re-home but I am not happy with the case. Is a cheap plastic case that feels more like a hazard than a help. The machine free stands firmly on 3 peg type feet. I will be showing it to someone next week but am not sure if I should bother with the case or not. If I were keeping it I wouldn't use the case. I feel it's ugly cheap plastic and offers a false sense of security. The machine is prettier out of the case. Maybe it's just me?
    Christy
    Starting the year out fresh

It can always keep the dust off the machine! I say offer the case; that's one more thing out of your home and room for another!

Margaret

Yeah, I had a cheap plastic case that didnt fit anything tightly enough, so I donated it with a machine that that I'd robbed a motor and cord block off of. Just explain the flaws and offer it if they want it?
    Jim

"What do you mean worrying doesn't help? Everything I ever worried about...never happened!"
    quote by __________ I forget who.

I second that, offer the case. I know i have a case that feels flimsy but it does keep the dust off the machine and since i added a 'belt' that wraps around it keeps it closed.

Blog Entries
    People want cases.
    NEVER let a sewing machine know you are in a hurry.
    good mothers let you lick the beaters - great mothers turn it off first

What Miriam said ^^^.

Also a three legged machine is wobbly and won't sit steady.

Joe

Quote Originally Posted by J Miller View Post
    What Miriam said ^^^.

Also a three legged machine is wobbly and won't sit steady.

Joe
    I understand people really DO want cases. Heck, I want cases so yeah I get that. I just hate hate hate these cheap plastic jobs on the Kenmores!

Technically 3 legged should be wobbly, but this sucker stands really firm. Like I said, if I were keeping it, I would likely toss the case on this one, but I am not. I cannot keep them all! OK, back in the case we go!
    Christy

Agreeing with others, and agree that aesthetically those plastics are UhhhhhGLY! So I would show and demonstrate the machine without case, and then tell them that it does come with a case if they want it for storage, dust protection, etc. I would just present the case as an extra, and not have the case be the thing to give the first impression.
    Last edited by Cecilia S.; 06-03-2014 at 05:16 AM.
    -Cecilia. Tinkering more than stitching, really.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Cecilia S. View Post
    Agreeing with others, but I would add that aesthetically those plastics are UhhhhhGLY! So I would show and demonstrate the machine without case, and then tell them that it does come with a case if they want it for storage, dust protection, etc. I would just present the case as an extra, and not have the case be the thing to give the first impression.
    Yup throw it in free. You could also make a little dust cover.
    Here's one I did in a few minutes. I used a shirt and some already quilted stuff. I cut the shirt - sewed two pieces together, sewed it to the quilted pieces, ripped out enough to attach pieces of the sleeve I narrowed down and then sewed those in tight and turned it through the button area and was done.
    Name:  machine cover 002.JPG
Views: 278
Size:  140.6 KB
    Name:  sewing machine cover 002.JPG
Views: 275
Size:  129.0 KB

Power Poster
    Blog Entries
    Wow! Great idea!
    Quote Originally Posted by miriam View Post
    Yup throw it in free. You could also make a little dust cover.
    Here's one I did in a few minutes. I used a shirt and some already quilted stuff. I cut the shirt - sewed two pieces together, sewed it to the quilted pieces, ripped out enough to attach pieces of the sleeve I narrowed down and then sewed those in tight and turned it through the button area and was done.
    Name:  machine cover 002.JPG
Views: 278
Size:  140.6 KB
    Name:  sewing machine cover 002.JPG
Views: 275
Size:  129.0 KB

Miriam, that is adorable! I have to make it for something around here! Very nice!
    Christy

Miram, I love it!

Here's a cover I made for my White DRESSMASTER. Not simple like Miriam's, but it works superb.

Name:  Louise cover front.JPG
Views: 117
Size:  163.3 KB
    Of course this machine had a base so it was fairly easy to work with.

To answer the original question I will sell a machine without a case or cabinet "IF" the customer wants. But I prefer not to.

Joe

Nice case Joe! Yes I would prefer to sell them with a case whenever possible. I know I always want a case or cabinet for mine.
    Christy

Blog Entries
    Some times you just can't sell one in a case. I also have had DH make some frames for a machine to sit in.

As soon as I can make some room in the garage I've got three or four bottoms to make tops for and I want to try to make an entire sewing machine case for my Singer 99K Hand crank machine. Gads that sounds like a lot of work.

Joe

Quote Originally Posted by J Miller View Post
    As soon as I can make some room in the garage I've got three or four bottoms to make tops for and I want to try to make an entire sewing machine case for my Singer 99K Hand crank machine. Gads that sounds like a lot of work.

Joe
    It really does. I haven't made something like that, but it seems like a bottom would be easier than a top!
    Christy

Christy,

Might be. I've fixed enough of them, fabricating parts as needed. But I've never made one from scratch.
    Hopefully this summer ... ha ha I might get to it.

Joe

I’ve sold several machine heads without a case or even a base. Most of them were “beaters” that needed restoration work done, so the Buyer can decide whether to put it into a base, case, cabinet, or use it for a parts machine. I don’t care.

I have also sold some operating Singer 99 machines without a base or case that I had converted to handcrank operation. I can’t find vintage bases for them, much less a case that will close with an aftermarket hand attachment mounted on it, so I sell them without a case or a base. The end-user can buy a base or a case of their choice. I don’t make them. I have begun putting a rubber boot on the foot that is actually part of the hook assembly, and that helps keep the machine from sliding around somewhat. Hand cranking seems to make the machine move worst than using it with an electric motor, so using one on a slick surface can be a problem. I recommend setting the machine on a piece of the non-slip mats available to help keep it from sliding.

I tried one of the new plastic cases for the 3/4-siz machines for a Singer 185K that I converted to hand operation. It was a full-sized case with 3/4-size hinge pins. I won’t try another one. When the case is lifted by the carrying handle, the case flexes to let the machine fall into the bottom of the case. No damage done, but I had to pop the machine back up out of the bottom of the case every time that I took the top off of it. (Yea, I know, you’re not supposed to carry a sewing machine case by the handle, but I do.)

CD in Oklahoma
    "I sew, I sew, so it's off to work I go!!!"
    ThayerRags Fabric Center
    http://thayerrags.com/

My Kenmore is rock solid when standing on its three little legs, but I attribute this mainly to the fact that is cast iron and it weighs around 40 pounds!

I agree that you should offer the case. Explain that it's not a very good one, and leave the decision to the buyer.

You never know, they may be a collector, or be trying to find a machine just like the one their mom taught them to sew on or something.
    That type of buyer may appreciate the case even if it's for sentimental rather than practical reasons.

Machines are always better with a case or cabinet, even a crappy one.
    When I buy a machine without a case my first thought is "What am I going to put it in?".
    Rodney
    "Neglect to oil the machine will shorten its life and cause you

trouble and annoyance" Quote from Singer Model 99 Manual

Here's the cover I made for my White Rotary. A friend gave me two 1/2 yard pieces of day of the dead marrionette fabrics. I couldn't use them in any of the charity quilts that I make, so a sewing machine cover they became; the cover is reversible.
    Sharon
    Attached Images Attached Images

Last edited by purplefiend; 06-05-2014 at 07:51 PM.