Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main > For Vintage & Antique Machine Enthusiasts
Dressmaker #3000.  What/How did I do? >

Dressmaker #3000. What/How did I do?

Dressmaker #3000. What/How did I do?

Old 07-15-2015, 09:35 AM

Default Dressmaker #3000. What/How did I do?

I picked up a Dressmaker model# 3000. It looks like there is a cam slot on top, covered by a little flap. I only spent $10 at Goodwill as-is.

I've been looking for a more decorative-capable machine, one with some age and hopefully some quality.

Should I keep her?

Should I sell her?

Should I try to acquire cams? Can I find them separate from machine outfits? Doesn't eBay seem like it. Can it take cams for other brands, ie: SINGER? Also- who made this machine?

I may have gone a little on impulse here (which pretty much defines my junk trawling).

[ATTACH=CONFIG]525200[/ATTACH]
Attached Thumbnails dressmaker-machine.jpg  

Last edited by Beautiful_Sound; 07-15-2015 at 09:43 AM.
Old 07-15-2015, 10:00 AM

You're not going to get hurt at $10 for any reasonably complete machine. Even a class 15 bobbin case is worth at least $5. It's a neat looking machine I would have probably brought it home too. Cams are an issue. There are a lot of machines that take cams and they're not all the same. Cams aren't often clearly labeled either so trying to find the right cams for a machine can be a real pain.
Rodney
Old 07-15-2015, 10:06 AM

IIRC Dressmaker is White's lower priced line. The colors on your machine are identical to two Whites that I have of the same vintage. Neither of those take separate cams though.
If you can find pictures of similar machines with cams it might help you identify the ones you need.
Rodney
Old 07-15-2015, 10:34 AM
Banned

For 10 bucks you can't go wrong. I would have got it too. Dressmaker is a badge used by more than one manufacturer, the name is still being used today. Cams can be a crap shoot. You said you think it has a cam in it. That should guide you in looking for a set. No you can't use other cams unless the manufacturer used the same cams in different branded machines. Is the machine made in Japan or Taiwan? The Japanese Dressmakers used a several different cam sets over the years, but the Taiwan made machines only used two that I know of. Most used this set that I have here-
https://www.flickr.com/photos/caris_...7623754404505/
They're real little, about an inch or so wide. I've seen them in grey or white and the case in several colors. They come up on Ebay quite often but sellers don't usually know what they're for because the case isn't marked.

Cari
Old 07-15-2015, 10:38 AM

No, no cam. Just that I noticed were the cams go.
Old 07-15-2015, 11:26 AM

I have a similar looking White, and without any cams, it's a straight stitch machine - it also has the stitch patterns printed on the front, and the number on the cams corresponds with the number on the decal.

The cams mine take are about the size of the Singer top hat cams. After White outsourced teh mfg of machines, they used several different companies and you'll find the cam styles needed can be quite different.

I lucked out - found someone with the manual and box of cams on eBay - so they knew what they fit. I had the zigzag one inside the machine when I bought it, so I did know about what they looked like.
Old 07-15-2015, 11:42 AM

Do the cams for your machine happen to be a blue color?
Old 07-15-2015, 04:39 PM

Hmmm - this machine actually does not look all that much like yours - I must have been confused with one of the other dashboard machines I have.

Must be a sign I have too many - can't remember what they look like anymore!

Last edited by Macybaby; 07-15-2015 at 04:43 PM.
Old 07-15-2015, 09:44 PM
Banned

[QUOTE=Macybaby;

Must be a sign I have too many - can't remember what they look like anymore![/QUOTE]

Yep, with 15 Brother machines in my herd I find myself with the same issue at times. I can't wait until I can get my machines on shelves sort of like yours so I can see them without digging around and opening cases.

Cari
Old 07-17-2015, 01:51 PM

I have a set of cams like the red ones that is in the picture.. I don't have the machine anymore so if you want to message me when you find out if these are what your machine takes.

Last edited by Sheila_Newhouse; 07-17-2015 at 01:53 PM.