Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main > For Vintage & Antique Machine Enthusiasts
I had to go back and get it, and glad I did >

I had to go back and get it, and glad I did

I had to go back and get it, and glad I did

Old 07-06-2015, 10:56 AM

Default I had to go back and get it, and glad I did

I saw this 128 over the weekend, and I thought it was really nice but also thought the price was just a little bit too high at $65. I'm trying to only buy machines that are either super awesome or super cheap.

It wouldn't leave my mind though, so today after work (short day) I decided to go have another look. Turns out that today it's on sale for half-off! It was meant to be!

So, here's my newest lovely. I LOVE the motor & foot pedal on this thing, I've seen pictures of similar - this is not what this machine would have come with, correct? Is this the type of pedal that gets really hot? (I didn't get a very good shot of the pedal, it's the cast iron foot-shaped kind with the big round part you see in picture 2)

The motor isn't detached; it pivots around to this position so it can fit in the case.
[ATTACH=CONFIG]524445[/ATTACH]

Top of the pedal, trying to show wire toastiness, sorry for the flash burn.
[ATTACH=CONFIG]524448[/ATTACH]

Neat, I love accessories!
[ATTACH=CONFIG]524446[/ATTACH]

Motor in working position; there's a spring dangling off of it, not sure where that hooks in yet.
[ATTACH=CONFIG]524447[/ATTACH]

The wires are pretty toasty so I haven't plugged it in yet. Anything special or important I need to know about this motor? (It's a Hamilton Beach SewEZ sewing machine motor.) I'm hoping to keep it on the machine.

I looked up her serial number, she's from 1919. Everything moves really nicely, the decals are a bit cracked here and there but otherwise really bright and pretty and not much wear considering her age. She's a looker for sure. She came with a manual for a knee-lift 128, and a bentwood case. The case is locked and someone decided to just Hercules the lid off so the screws ripped out of the wood and some stuff bent but they included all the bits so I think I can fix it.

(Please ignore all the junk in the background...I just shoved the rusty 15 I have in pieces aside for some quick photos, LOL)
Attached Thumbnails singer_128_01.jpg   singer_128_02.jpg   singer_128_07.jpg   singer_128_04.jpg  
Old 07-06-2015, 11:02 AM
Power Poster

I'm no expert but I think you got a good deal.
Old 07-06-2015, 11:29 AM

Beautiful machine!! The decals are amazing and the finish too!
Old 07-06-2015, 11:35 AM

I think you did good ...wow, half price is really good..........she is sure pretty, the decals look nice..........good for you, I want one like her (here I am with 13 machines and still wanting more...what is wrong with us????)
Old 07-06-2015, 11:45 AM

You got a great deal! I would have been sorely tempted at $65. Half off was a no-brainer.
It's a great looking machine. I like the swing away HB motor and the foot pedal too. You should be able to open up the controller and replace those toasted wires.
Sundialwire.com is one supplier of new cloth covered wire to keep the vintage look.
Rodney
Old 07-06-2015, 11:45 AM

that's a nice machine (i got 3 of those) but i don't think that's the right motor for that machine. i've never seen a singer with that kind of motor (correct me if i am wrong).
Old 07-06-2015, 01:11 PM

Thanks for the link Rodney! I knew those were still being made somewhere, you just saved me a search. I was dithering at $65...but like you said, half-off made it a no-brainer.

I've been hunting around to try to get info on this motor (ending up back here at one point - seems like all sewing machine searches end up back here sooner or later). There ARE some older Singer motors that look just like this but have Singer branding. I'm guessing this one isn't original - maybe a dealer upgrade?

I was hoping to find someone's blog where they'd taken one apart and maybe talked about maintenance but no luck so far. I think I've found grease tubes on it but I can't tell if it has brushes or not or where those might be. I'm a little afraid to just start unscrewing stuff.

The tension on the shuttle is cranked down really tight and the screw is badly chewed up. It has an extra shuttle but it's the wrong type...fortunately it happens to be exactly the shuttle I need for my 28 so that worked out nicely! I will then steal the screw from the bad 28 shuttle to fix this 128's shuttle... I love it when things work out.
Old 07-06-2015, 02:45 PM

Sewnoma, my son took my 201 apart and re-wired the motor on it. He's good at that sort of thing, but, if there's one thing I've learned on this Board, take it apart, step by step, and take pictures as you proceed to take it apart. That way, you can be sure that you'll get it back together correctly. So, take pictures!!!!!! I'm just repeating what has been expressed by many of the experts on this Board! You really got a beauty!

Jeanette
Old 07-06-2015, 05:39 PM

Sewnoma, I have a Singer Lotus (127?) with a drop-in bobbin that has the same motor, attached the same way. It is badged as a SINGER motor. The spring is still attached - maybe I'll get around to taking photos for you tomorrow to show you how it is meant to work.

We plan to convert our machine to a hand crank since the wires are pretty much shot. The motor is supposedly quite rare.
Old 07-06-2015, 07:05 PM

I am drooling! Congratulations on your score!