Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Thread: Ebay Alert! Huge Lot Singer Hand Crank Treadle Sewing Machines 70+ near Canton

Quote Originally Posted by jennb View Post
    I've seriously considered a bid because we will be going through there in a couple of weeks, but yes, the seller has no idea what she has, and there aren't any featherweights. I sent her a message but no reply. She's set herself up for having ro refund the purchase price and potentially lose those machines because the buyer can easily open a SNAD case against her and get a full refund.
    What is a SNAD case?
    We have not sold or bought in our names for several years on eBay and this is something I/we know nothing about.

Elaine

Quote Originally Posted by J Miller View Post
    What is a SNAD case?
    We have not sold or bought in our names for several years on eBay and this is something I/we know nothing about.

Elaine
    Stuff Not As Described? Just a guess...

The ad's been changed. No reference of featherweights anymore.

Miriam, I'd be tempted to split them up with you; but after carefully going over the photos, I just don't see a lot of value. The machines are in pretty poor condition, it seems they have spent years in an unprotected environment, and many of the machines exhibit the beginning signs of rust on the outside. Which means rust on the inside, and that's a problem for smooth thread travel over the bobbin.

What's interesting is that the woman's late husband appears to have had a method to his madness--many of the Singers are model 99s and La Vencedoras. However, most of them are models from the 1920s (note the large spoked handwheels), meaning each and every one would need to be rewired, as wiring insulation typically doesn't last for 90 years.

I also see at least one natural-born model 15 treadle, which is a good machine, but the finish appears to be in terrible condition, like it was stored outside. If you look closely you'll also spot things like a 66 missing the slide plate.

Bottom line, $499 seems like an attractive price for that many machines, but rust, missing parts and damaged finishes can often be more trouble than they're worth. The bentwood cases caught my eye for their potential value, but again, they do not appear to be in great condition.

If any of you do end up bidding on the machines, please keep the rest of us posted on if you found any gems in the collection!
    - Rain

Vintage Singer Sewing Machine Blog
    http://vssmb.blogspot.com/

I hope someone with good intentions gets them so they don't get recycled for scrap value. A Singer hand crank and a full sized bentwood case fetch quite a bit on the net, assuming there in average condition. Don't think you can go wrong for $500 though finding a home for the unwanted cabinetry and machines could prove challenging (maybe not on the West Coast).

Jon

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by jlhmnj View Post
    I hope someone with good intentions gets them so they don't get recycled for scrap value. A Singer hand crank and a full sized bentwood case fetch quite a bit on the net, assuming there in average condition. Don't think you can go wrong for $500 though finding a home for the unwanted cabinetry and machines could prove challenging (maybe not on the West Coast).

Jon
    I have bought out deals like that before - well the deal I got was a different mix - they all need wiring - they all need a lot of TLC - expect to smell cat pee - no cases - tables do not go away once they are in the house - people leave them and take the machine - that said - I have LEARNED a lot from the hoard - an awful lot - I have been pleasantly surprised at how many of them have been able to work - maybe less than 5% did not ever work but then again I'm not done yet. All in all that lot would be some real work.

That also said it is a 5 hour drive one way from my place - with gas prices it would jack the price up something terrible. It might take two trips or involve a truck rental. I think I'm going to pass on that one.
    Last edited by miriam; 03-27-2013 at 01:28 AM.
    NEVER let a sewing machine know you are in a hurry.
    good mothers let you lick the beaters - great mothers turn it off first

The lot sold for $1001.90.

The lot sold for $1001.90.
    Best of luck to him/her. A lot more than I would have been willing to pay even if I had the time to deal with all those machines.
    May your stitches always be straight, your seams always lie flat, and your grain never be biased against you.

Sue

. Don't think you can go wrong for $500 though finding a home for the unwanted cabinetry and machines could prove challenging (maybe not on the West Coast).Jon
    Hey! I'm not buying THAT many machines... lol

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2