Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main > For Vintage & Antique Machine Enthusiasts
Electronic foot controlers and vintage free arm machines >

Electronic foot controlers and vintage free arm machines

Electronic foot controlers and vintage free arm machines

Old 04-07-2015, 04:54 AM

Jeanette,

Yep there's actually a right and a left facing #3 cam, we have both. The 328 is set up as well. Not sure what to do about it, but I think my wife just wants the free arm. We'll see what happens.

CD,
Would that be with the # B O built in stitch by chance?

Joe
Old 04-07-2015, 04:57 AM

sews,

Seems to me one maybe more of our machines has a built in blind hem. I've got to do some digging.

Joe
Old 04-07-2015, 05:20 AM

or you could get the Singer blind hem attachment for the SS machines - never tried one so no idea how well it works.

I got a 50 year old commercial blind hemmer for $150 - including table and motor. Haven't gotten it set up yet.
Old 04-07-2015, 08:07 AM

Originally Posted by J Miller View Post
CD,
Would that be with the # B O built in stitch by chance?
Joe
Yes, on the Singer 401A, it’s the “BO” cam setting.

Also, she sews them with the garment turned right-side out, whereas your wife may be wanting to sew them inside-out on a freearm. Works fine either way, but my wife just prefers doing them on the flatbed. Some garments are brought to her pinned inside-out, so she just turns them right-side out and re-pins them if she needs to.

Also, she uses a very narrow zigzag width (set at a little less than 2) and uses her straight stitch foot instead of her ZZ foot. She only wants to catch the very edge of the fabric on the cross-over, so the SS foot helps keep good contact with the fabric and the stitch placement can best be controlled. She just has to make sure that she has her zz width set narrow enough to fit in the ss foot without hitting either side of the foot.

We still haven’t found a good freearm machine without fiber gears either. We still use the Singer Stylist type of machines (either Singer 538 and 834, or JC Penney 7057) for our FA work, and can blind stitch on them if we want to, but they all have plastic gears.

CD in Oklahoma
Old 04-07-2015, 08:08 AM

Well, I found out that our T&S 778 will do what she wants with the #8 cam, and it's got a drop bed that turns into a free arm.
I'm going to put an electronic foot controller on the 401A so she could use that too. I robbed it off of my test cord block set up.

I'll have enough machines set up for blind hems she'll be dizzy ....

Cathy, we've bid on blind hem machines several times and been outbid every time. Now we sure could use one.
Alterations, clothes making and the like is something my wife has wanted to get into for a long time.

Joe
Old 04-07-2015, 08:12 AM

CD,

Thanks. The customer has all the pants pinned already, I don't know weather they're inside out or not. My wife has been sewing since she was 7, and much of what you just said, she said and is doing already.

I found out that the #8 top hat cam is a blind hem cam, so we can do this with lots of machines if we want.

Joe
Old 04-07-2015, 08:28 AM
Banned

[QUOTE=sews;7156068][URL]http://www.quiltingboard.com/members/sews

Sabine,
Rodneys daughter has my Mademoiselle version of your Citation. He will have to chime in here about how well it works, I loaned it to Olivia before I got a chance to use it.

Cari
Old 04-07-2015, 08:36 AM

Originally Posted by J Miller View Post
My wife has been sewing since she was 7, and much of what you just said, she said and is doing already.
Joe
Ok. I was just describing how we do it on the 401A flatbed.

CD in Oklahoma
Old 04-07-2015, 10:28 AM

CD,

Well, that's good for me and maybe my wife too. I'm no where the sewist she is. Sometimes like this I'll read something unfamiliar to me and we'll discuss it. So I learn too.

Just got the electronic foot control on the 401A, man what a difference!

Joe
Old 04-07-2015, 10:31 AM

Originally Posted by Macybaby View Post
or you could get the Singer blind hem attachment for the SS machines - never tried one so no idea how well it works.

I got a 50 year old commercial blind hemmer for $150 - including table and motor. Haven't gotten it set up yet.
I have several of those blind hem attachments. Both Singer and Greist. I've yet to be able to get one to work. They are supposed to hold the fabric and move it back and forth like the button holler, but they don't and then they don't sew straight. I'm probably doing something wrong, but so far no go with them.

Joe