Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main > For Vintage & Antique Machine Enthusiasts
Electronic foot controlers and vintage free arm machines >

Electronic foot controlers and vintage free arm machines

Electronic foot controlers and vintage free arm machines

Old 04-10-2015, 12:00 PM
Power Poster

I have a little attachment to do that and it works better than anything else!
Old 04-10-2015, 08:57 PM

Actually Joe, I've never heard of blind hemmed jeans. Is this is first? All my jeans have been top stitched in orange thread.
Old 04-11-2015, 02:55 AM

Mike,

To be honest I never paid any attention to the hems on jeans. Usually I just wear them out.

The pants my wife is altering are women's dress pants. They are lined and very expensive. The owner is a high up political party lawyer. Those were blind hemmed. I just started this thread cos my wife expressed interest in doing it with a certain type of machine.

Joe
Old 04-11-2015, 03:21 AM

Dang, I would have to hem the expensive pants hems by hand...but then, I love to do hand stitching. However, in a class, I learned, that if a machine won't climb the seam...one can sew up to the seam lift the pressure foot and put layers of fabric behind the seam to equal the height of the seam and proceed. It has worked for me when I do this occasionally on my modern Brother.
Old 04-11-2015, 03:41 AM

Originally Posted by J Miller View Post
Mike,

To be honest I never paid any attention to the hems on jeans. Usually I just wear them out.

The pants my wife is altering are women's dress pants. They are lined and very expensive. The owner is a high up political party lawyer. Those were blind hemmed. I just started this thread cos my wife expressed interest in doing it with a certain type of machine.

Joe
That makes much more sense. Don't know why I thought you were going to blind hem jeans

Your Bernina 930 would be perfect for the task, assuming it's as good as a 530, 730 or 830.

Originally Posted by adamae View Post
Dang, I would have to hem the expensive pants hems by hand...but then, I love to do hand stitching.
So do I, and it's the only way to do it only catch a single thread but it just takes too long, particularly with 30 pairs! I spent time a few weeks ago learning to blind stitch on my 730 record. Still takes a while, but much faster than doing it by hand.

Last edited by manicmike; 04-11-2015 at 03:51 AM.