Featherweight

Old 10-08-2018, 02:50 PM

Default Featherweight

I have just set mine up after not being in use. I would like to piece on it. Does anyone recommend a brand or link for a 1/4” stitch guide to add in the side or a quality 1/4” foot that can be used with machine?

Also, it seems to be missing a top piece shown in other pictures. It looks like a silver metal spook shape that is on the left side top. Mine has a place where it could go. The needle plate and tension mechanisms are below. It doesn’t impact use of machine. Just curious.

I did a practice seam today and love the stitch quality. I think it will help make piecing a joy to sew on this antique.
Old 10-08-2018, 02:51 PM

Spool not spook.
Old 10-08-2018, 04:45 PM
Power Poster

I decided to do the Bonnie Hunter seam guide trick . She shows how to use a hotel card piece and double sided tape to stick it on your machine bed. I was careful to just put mine on the crome not the paint and it works well.
Old 10-08-2018, 04:50 PM

The Featherweight Shop has a 1/4 inch foot. Can't remember what the cost is but it didn't seem like it was much. They also have a piece to set up on your machine that is for 1/4 seam.
Old 10-08-2018, 06:02 PM

You might try sew-classic for a seam guide or quarter inch foot. https://shop.sew-classic.com/searchq...=featherweight
She also has an adhesive seam guide that works with all machines https://shop.sew-classic.com/Adhesiv...-PK-SCP001.htm

Are you referring to the screw on top of the nose plate as indicated by the red arrow?

[ATTACH=CONFIG]602344[/ATTACH] It is a pressure regulator screw that holds the presser bar in place and changes the pressure applied. If it is missing, your presser foot would not set down on the fabric and feed the fabric to make a seam.

Janey - Neat people never make the exciting discoveries I do.
Attached Thumbnails pressure-regulator.jpg  

Last edited by OurWorkbench; 10-08-2018 at 06:06 PM.
Old 10-09-2018, 04:13 AM

You could use a piece of tape to mark your 1/4" seam. My featherweight pressure foot makes a 1/4 inch seam but I use a piece of blue tape to mark so I have a longer marking while sewing. I am going on a quilt retreat this weekend and I am taking my white featherweight so hope all goes well. I have taken it to 1 day retreats and it hummed right along with no problems. But -- just in case I also bring along some hand projects if it should decide to get bucky.
Old 10-09-2018, 04:52 AM

There should be a seam guide in the accessory box, the type you fit on with a screw to the bed. SewClassic has several 1/4" feet depending on what you like.

There is only one spool pin on the Featherweight, the other holes on top are oil points. That slighly worries me for my 99, it has two spool pins, and all pictures of 99s only have one.
Old 10-09-2018, 05:35 AM

Maybe you are referring to the thread guide/guard as indicated by the yellow arrow? That would make more sense as to why you can sew without one.

[ATTACH=CONFIG]602359[/ATTACH]

Janey - Neat people never make the exciting discoveries I do.
Attached Thumbnails pressure-regulator.jpg  
Old 10-10-2018, 01:05 PM

I have 2 or 3 1/4" feet for my Featherweight. The one I prefer is the plastic Little Foot. I don't care for the feet that have the 1/4" guide, and I didn't much care for the metal 1/4" foot I got made for the featherweight. The Little Foot seems to be the most accurate. I think I got it from my local quilt shop. You can find them if you Google it.
Old 10-11-2018, 11:41 AM

Ourworkbench, the hole I wasn’t sure about is in front of the pressure regulator screw. Btw, I didn’t know that is what it was until you wrote me. It will be good to know when sewing thicker pieces. I think Mickey2, explained the hole in front of it is an oil point.

It seams well. I will try attaching a guide with blue tape or the Little Foot bjbaxter recommended.

Karamarie, hope your featherweight serves you well at retreat.

Thank you you all for your input ��