Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main > For Vintage & Antique Machine Enthusiasts
Featherweight-What to look for or ask??? >

Featherweight-What to look for or ask???

Featherweight-What to look for or ask???

Old 10-20-2015, 10:22 PM
Banned

[QUOTE=Just Jan;7351000]I spoke with the lady that is selling it and she said it has its original box and that one latch doesn't work well but it does work. It is a 221K7 and is "Krinkle and black." /QUOTE]

Grab it and run!! The crinkle FW's are the rarest of them all, I've seen them go for more than the 222s.

Cari
Old 10-21-2015, 01:14 AM

Originally Posted by Just Jan View Post
I spoke with the lady that is selling it and she said it has its original box and that one latch doesn't work well but it does work. It is a 221K7 and is "Krinkle and black." The model # begins with AL. From what I found on the internet they were made up to 1955 but the lady's info was 1965. Since it was her mother's machine, she might be wrong about the year. It has the table, not a cabinet. Thanks for responding.
Jan,
As amcatanzaro said the 221K7 is the 'white' Featherweight. I don't remember when Singer started putting the model number (for example "221") on the machine. If the machine has the serial number on the bed of the machine on the right side under the pillar than the machine is not a 221. The serial number for the FW is on the underside of the machine. If the serial number does indeed begin with AL then it would NOT be 221K7 as the K indicates that the machine was made in Kilbowie whereas an AL serial number was made in Elizabethport - New Jersey. I am thinking that possibly there was a manual with the machine that doesn't actually belong with the machine wanting to be sold. (I'm sure many of us here have seen that happen.) It is sometimes hard to read the actual serial number.

You might want to check out http://ismacs.net/singer_sewing_machine_company/singer-featherweight-godzilla-finish.html I also read elsewhere that the "wrinkle" finish on Featherweights were only two commission dates in 1939 and 1940 and would probably be AF numbers if made in USA. (I'm unsure if they were made in Kilbowie)

Many of us have seen any small sewing machine advertised as a Featherweight. I'm thinking that quite possibly the machine is a 128 or 99, which don't have the fold down extension to the left of the needle plate. They are larger than the Featherweight and smaller than a 127 or 66 or 15 etc. and many more dates of manufacture.

If it is indeed a 221 and you get it - we want pictures.

Janey - Neat people never make the exciting discoveries I do.
Old 10-21-2015, 02:11 AM

Originally Posted by amcatanzaro View Post
A cabinet table or a card table?
The table with a well, that was sold for the machines.
Old 10-21-2015, 02:26 AM

Originally Posted by Just Jan View Post
The table with a well, that was sold for the machines.
Probably -- http://ismacs.net/singer_sewing_mach...table-301.html for 128-13 (maybe 128-23, too) & 99-13

If the legs fold up - it could be http://ismacs.net/singer_sewing_mach...308_table.html or http://ismacs.net/singer_sewing_mach...312_table.html I'm not sure what the differences are.

Last edited by OurWorkbench; 10-21-2015 at 02:31 AM.
Old 10-21-2015, 03:19 AM

whatever it turns out to be and even if it does not come home with you....need pictures..... this like the bestest mystery story! I know, i'm silly...but at 76 it is fun to be curious about things.
Old 10-21-2015, 04:27 AM

Originally Posted by OurWorkbench View Post
Probably -- http://ismacs.net/singer_sewing_mach...table-301.html for 128-13 (maybe 128-23, too) & 99-13

If the legs fold up - it could be http://ismacs.net/singer_sewing_mach...308_table.html or http://ismacs.net/singer_sewing_mach...312_table.html I'm not sure what the differences are.

Thanks for the pictures. I am getting exited to see it!
Old 10-21-2015, 04:44 AM

Originally Posted by SunlitenSmiles View Post
whatever it turns out to be and even if it does not come home with you....need pictures..... this like the bestest mystery story! I know, i'm silly...but at 76 it is fun to be curious about things.
NO, its not silly! (I'm 71) You and the others here are making this both informative and fun. Glad for your reminder of pictures.
Old 10-21-2015, 05:55 AM

That is a really good price. When I bought mine, I learned that you want to be sure the bobbin fits well and is very clean and free from dust and gunk. Try to get a book to go with it, as you will use it a lot over the years.
You will love the machine if you get it in good repair and it sews well.
Good luck!
Mariah
Old 10-21-2015, 08:29 AM

I contacted Singer and its definitely a 221 born Jan. 17th 1955. She said it could well be black as some of the ones that were ivory were repainted black at the factory, later in production, because they seemed to sell better. She said it could be crackle/krinkle black but they are rare. She said she has no info as to what the model is as she can't tell from the serial number.
Old 10-21-2015, 02:44 PM

Make sure it has its bobbin case. There are a lot of featherweights out there that have lost their bobbin cases and it is fairly expensive to replace one-- sometimes as much as $40 on ebay for an original one. Depending on the machine, the much less expensive new (reproduction) ones that say they are for the featherweight may not work. Some people have had luck with the repro. bobbin cases working in the featherweights from the 60's but not in featherweights produced earlier than that. So if it doesn't have the bobbin case negotiate on the price.

I lucked out with my featherweight and found it at a junk store for $60 minus it's bobbin case and very dirty, but was able to get an original bobbin case for $20 and after a day of serious cleaning, re-oiling and lubing ended up with a sweet machine that makes just about the prettiest stitch I've ever seen.