Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main > For Vintage & Antique Machine Enthusiasts
Finding cabinets for a vintage machine >

Finding cabinets for a vintage machine

Finding cabinets for a vintage machine

Old 01-26-2016, 11:31 AM

If you sent the PM to me, I didn't get it.
Old 01-26-2016, 12:38 PM

It's strange that a friend called the other day and said he had something for me. I met with him and he gave me his grandmothers sewing machine. His mom is in her 80's and has not sewn in the past 40 or so years and knowing that I had a few machines thought I would be interested in putting it in my collection. Weather was nasty and cold so we hurriedly loaded it into my Santa Fe and headed for home. Well what I now have is a singer 201-2 in an original model 65 cabinet. I am in the process of cleaning up the old girl since she has not seen any oil/grease in years. The cabinet is in good shape and according to the brochure it also serves as a desk. When the weather improves, I will refinish the cabinet and replace the head. After a cursory cleaning and oiling, the old girl sprang to life, a little sluggish then kicking into high gear after the lube/oil kicked in. I don't have a 201 and am glad to add it to my collection. This machine kicks butt in speed, quietness and vibration. I am delighted to add it to the stable.

Soman2
TOR
Old 01-26-2016, 01:07 PM

I'm capable of building my own cabinet. First choice would be to find the Singer art deco cabinet.

I did some thrift store shopping, learned that the thrift stores around here rarely get any sewing cabinets. But one had a kenmore cabinet/desk that's probably from the '70's. I had forgotten a tape measure so I didn't buy it. It wasn't one I fell in love with either so I'm probably going to pass on it. I'd like drawers but this one had a door made to look like drawers which opens revealing a big gaping hole to store stuff in. It didn't tickle my fancy so I passed. I hope that doesn't nip me in the butt later.

Last edited by patricej; 01-31-2016 at 11:13 AM.
Old 01-26-2016, 02:17 PM

Maybe an estate sale would have one? Or you wait for garage sale season. Though it might be too must of a hassle to locate one those ways.
Old 01-26-2016, 02:41 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by Sammie1 View Post
I'm capable of building my own cabinet. First choice would be to find the Singer art deco cabinet.

I did some thrift store shopping, learned that the thrift stores around here rarely get any sewing cabinets. But one had a kenmore cabinet/desk that's probably from the '70's. I had forgotten a tape measure so I didn't buy it. It wasn't one I fell in love with either so I'm probably going to pass on it. I'd like drawers but this one had a door made to look like drawers which opens revealing a big gaping hole to store stuff in. It didn't tickle my fancy so I passed. I hope that doesn't nip me in the butt later.
Sammie your 201 most likely won't fit in a Kenmore cabinet. It would have to to be one of the rare Kenmores that have the same bed size as Singer machines. Most Kenmore machines have squared off corners(not the rounded corners of Singers) and different hinge spacing so you would have to make some significant modifications to make your 201 fit. I bought a Brother machine a while back that someone had monkeyed up a real pretty Kenmore cabinet to put it in and it was a sad sight to see.

Cari
Old 01-26-2016, 02:48 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by soman2 View Post
Well what I now have is a singer 201-2 in an original model 65 cabinet This machine kicks butt in speed, quietness and vibration. I am delighted to add it to the stable.

Soman2
TOR
Sweet! I'm not a Singer gal as you probably know but there is nothing like the feel and the quiet hum of a 201-2. If I had to give up all of my sewing machines and could only keep one, as much as it pains me to admit it my 201 might be the one I'd keep.

Cari
Old 01-26-2016, 03:47 PM

Originally Posted by Cari-in-Oly View Post
Sammie your 201 most likely won't fit in a Kenmore cabinet. It would have to to be one of the rare Kenmores that have the same bed size as Singer machines. Most Kenmore machines have squared off corners(not the rounded corners of Singers) and different hinge spacing so you would have to make some significant modifications to make your 201 fit. I bought a Brother machine a while back that someone had monkeyed up a real pretty Kenmore cabinet to put it in and it was a sad sight to see.

Cari
Thanks for the info.

I did get in touch with someone I've been trying to get in touch with over a month and had given up on. They may have what I'm looking for. I'll find out Thursday.
It could mean I'd be getting another 201-2 so I'd need to sell one of them.
Old 01-26-2016, 04:06 PM

Originally Posted by Sammie1 View Post
It could mean I'd be getting another 201-2 so I'd need to sell one of them.
Blasphemy!

Old 01-27-2016, 04:48 AM

Originally Posted by DKuehn View Post
Blasphemy!

Yeah but I'd rather it go to someone who will use and/or maintain it. If a second one were to stay here, it'd likely be neglected.

Tom, I'll PM you if that's the case.
Old 01-27-2016, 10:43 AM

Yeah, I pretty much stole it.

This machine is in better cosmetic condition. Mechanically it's pretty cranky and needs some love. Born Feb 1941.
Attached Thumbnails img_2851.jpg