Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst ... 2 3

Thread: Found A National " Two Spool" in the middle of nowhere.

Quote Originally Posted by vintagemotif View Post

I believe it is Jon that may have information on the Nationals...or is it Davis machines. Anyhow, this machine was once posted here on QB, and Jon informed the person posting the CL ad that the machine was a rotary machine and not a Two Spools. There is someone out there collecting information on National machines, and they may be of help to you. I just can't recall who that person can be right now.
    The National sewing machine group at Yahoo would be the place for Two Spools information. Damascus Anne is the moderator and has lots of "Birthday" information (dating sounds awkward).

http://groups.yahoo.com/neo/groups/nsmco/info?tab=s

I collect Davis information and products and am currently looking for an inexpensive Dayton bicycle or motorcycle and a 1920 Bluebird washing machine.

Jon

Quote Originally Posted by JBeamer View Post
    There's a rule on most forums: "Pictures or it never happened."

Sounds like someone might be a nurse because we say if it isn't charted it didn't happen.
    Also as a real newbie to vintage machines, why is this one called a 2 spool? I only see one spool "spike" or what ever the thread holder is called.
    Thanks
    Instead of a bobbin it uses a spool. One spool on top and one underneath.

I found another ad -- this one from 1927. It has prices of some machines but not this one.
    http://news.google.com/newspapers?id...1628%2C6282347
    Sheila

Regarding Cathy's machine, I sometimes wonder how the bed decals get worn near the pillar but not in front of the needle. Any ideas? Sewing clothes with metal zippers?
    Sheila

Another interesting ad with prices. Notice the Singer 66 "repossed" machine. I guess they mean repossessed? Poor sewist. Also some prices of things I've never heard of -- Golden Star, New Model, Field and C&C.
    http://news.google.com/newspapers?id...6472%2C2199816
    Sheila

Quote Originally Posted by Sheluma View Post

I found another ad -- this one from 1927. It has prices of some machines but not this one.
    http://news.google.com/newspapers?id...1628%2C6282347
    D'oh! The title of the ad says $95. That seems to be the price for a used machine. $140 new. It was their top-of-the line electric in 1927.
    Sheila

National Two Spool Sewing Machine.

I just picked up my grandmothers sewing machine from the basement of an aunt. Does anyone know how old this machine is and its value"
    Attached Images Attached Images

Thanks for the pictures: I don't claim to have the urge to collect, but I sure do like looking at them. Good luck with the cabinet too!

vintageidaho, did you get a manual for your machine? If not, I have it in pdf format. Just get me an email address so I can send it to you!

Jeanette

Blog Entries
    Wow! You lucky girl!

Chandra, The machine appears to be in excellent condition. I can't tell much about the top of the cabinet, but the front of the cabinet appears to be in good condition also. I do not know how "common--as in not difficult to find) these machines are -- the one I have belonged to my husband's great grandmother -- it's a part of our son's heritage and he does have an interest in the old machines -- he worked as a SM mechanic for 14 years. I do have a manual for the operation of the machine which I could send you (free) in pdf format, but I'll need an email address outside of your QB -- for some reason attachments just don't seem to work from the QB Private Messages.

Jeanette

Quote Originally Posted by JBeamer View Post
    Also as a real newbie to vintage machines, why is this one called a 2 spool? I only see one spool "spike" or what ever the thread holder is called. Thanks
    You have to go back again and look at the pictures of the "can". That can is a "bobbin case" and held a small spool of thread. The pictures don't show the spool in the can, but it's in there. I can see the thread dangling. The ones I have usually held 125 yards. Most bobbins hold about 35 yards.

I have an Eldredge Two Spool that has been electrified. It came in a carry case, no cabinet. The foot control is very different. How I got it is interesting also.
    I had been going to my "young sewing machine guy" for fixing some other machines, and he said he had something to show me. There was an Eldredge Two Spool. He said he had found it in their shed. Nobody seems to remember how it got in the shed, but they have moved to the new store not more than 10 years ago. His dad didn't know. Maybe they have to ask Grandpa.
    It came with a spool made of plastic foam, as in packing material type white foam. But I have since found quite a few spools of wood. What I have thought about doing, was to find a person with a lathe and have them make a spool with a deeper inset, to hold more thread.
    Mavita - Square dancer and One Room School Teacher

Mavita, the wooden spools I have for my National Two Spool (which is a treadle) are much deeper than a regular spool of thread. I've never checked out how many yards of thread the spools (2 or 3) that I have will hold. In this particular instance, I don't really care -- this machine is an "heirloom" machine as far as I am concerned because it was owned by my husband's great-grandmother. It's quite old (although I really don't know how old) and it will eventually belong to my son. It's "on loan" to me right now! LOL!

Jeanette

hello, i just purchased a national sewing machine model 400B.. they forgot the manual and are suppose to mail it. but was wondering if anyone could tell me anything about it? for some reason i cannot post a picture.

Quote Originally Posted by maviskw View Post
    ........ What I have thought about doing, was to find a person with a lathe and have them make a spool with a deeper inset, to hold more thread.
    I'm willing to try it. I just need the length and outside diameter of a spool that fits.
    Rodney
    "Neglect to oil the machine will shorten its life and cause you

trouble and annoyance" Quote from Singer Model 99 Manual

Quote Originally Posted by Jeanette Frantz View Post
    Mavita, the wooden spools I have for my National Two Spool (which is a treadle) are much deeper than a regular spool of thread. I've never checked out how many yards of thread the spools (2 or 3) that I have will hold. In this particular instance, I don't really care -- this machine is an "heirloom" machine as far as I am concerned because it was owned by my husband's great-grandmother. It's quite old (although I really don't know how old) and it will eventually belong to my son. It's "on loan" to me right now! LOL!
    Jeanette
    Years ago - many years ago, all thread spools held much more thread. I have some large spools that hold 1000 yards. These old spools were not made special for the Two Spool. You could just buy a new spool and pop it into the can. I also have a spool winder on mine so I can wind it with whatever I want. The manual shows how to wind yarn on the spool and sew from the underside so the pattern comes out on top.

[QUOTE=dooder23;7253370]hello, i just purchased a national sewing machine model 400B.. they forgot the manual and are suppose to mail it. but was wondering if anyone could tell me anything about it? need to see how to oil and do maintenance.. thanks
    Attachment 524882

Your attachment revealed Invalid attachment
    Maria
    Smoky Mountains of Tennessee

Quote Originally Posted by Farmhousesewer View Post
    Your attachment revealed Invalid attachment
    Yea not sure why...and it will not let me upload one either

oiling your machine

I will try on my end. Info from Needlebar.org
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Maria
    Smoky Mountains of Tennessee

Quote Originally Posted by Rodney View Post
    I'm willing to try it. I just need the length and outside diameter of a spool that fits.
    Rodney
    Rodney, you are really a Jack of all trades. And master of many. My post on this thread did not show up in my profile, so it took a while to find it again. Have fun trying to make the spool.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst ... 2 3