Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: Found A National " Two Spool" in the middle of nowhere.

Blog Entries
    There's a rule on most forums: "Pictures or it never happened."

OMG - LOVE this - got to remember this!!!!!
    Nikki in MO

Oh so beau ---tiful. My hubby thinks all machines should have been made with the bobbin being the size of the spool of thread. I always wondered why these machines didn't catch on. Keep saying I don't want any more machines except a 201 because of big harp size but think if I ever had chance for a 2 spool in very good condition I may change my mind.

Glad you are experienced with refinishing so this will become a true gem. Please show refinished job. Good luck !

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Macybaby View Post
    I have the same cabinet - however the legs say "eldredge" as mine is a newer model when National trotted out the old name again. The real fun ones are the original Eldredge Two Spool made before the company become National.
    I don't follow what you are saying here, " The real fun ones are the original Eldredge Two Spool made before the company became National".

Do you mean the cabinet and treadle irons? Or do you mean the machines? If you mean the machines, the Eldredge and the National are the same machine. I own a National, that once had a motor, and an Eldredge, that never had a motor to it. They both behave the same since their parts are all the same! Awesome machines!

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Sheluma View Post
    Congrats! If only it weren't so hard to get to "the middle of nowhere". (I have a terrible sense of direction.) Looking forward to pictures!
    Come to Kansas. There's plenty of the middle of nowhere.
    I meant to behave......but there were too many other options

The photos are great thanks for the detail.

I remember reading somewhere that Eldredge made the first Two Spool before the company name changed to National. And I was sure I saw a picture of it and it's a bit different and a lot harder to find. But I can't find hide nor hair of it now! I only meant it'd be fun to own a really old one, not that the machine is funner to operate.

I know my "The Eldredge" is a later model made by National, and is the same as the "National" Two Spool. Mine has a Certificate of Warrenty from 1935. DH and I are the second family to own this machine.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Macybaby View Post
    I remember reading somewhere that Eldredge made the first Two Spool before the company name changed to National. And I was sure I saw a picture of it and it's a bit different and a lot harder to find. But I can't find hide nor hair of it now! I only meant it'd be fun to own a really old one, not that the machine is funner to operate.

I know my "The Eldredge" is a later model made by National, and is the same as the "National" Two Spool. Mine has a Certificate of Warrenty from 1935. DH and I are the second family to own this machine.

In all my researching, I never came across an earlier model of a Two Spools that looked different. A Two Spools is a very unique machine. No other company made a machine like it. Mr. Eldredge consolidated two companies together in 1890 to form the National sewing machine company. The Eldredge manual for the Two Spools has the same machine and decals as the National. National continued to make the Two Spools, and most likely did so until they ran out of parts for that model. By then, Singer sewing company had a monopoly on the industry.

Eldredge did make some other machines but those machines didn't have the canister to hold the "bobbin" spool.
    And National did make a machine called "The Eldredge", which is a different beast from the Eldredge/National Two Spools. National sewing machine company made many machines that were badged. So the same machine could have numerous names.

It could be that you saw a photo of someone's machine that they mistakenly labeled as a Two Spools.

There is so much (mis) information on the web - and I figure I was on someone's blog somewhere, but I was sure they had a picture of the older machine . . . Oh well, guess after 50 the memory starts to slide LOL

I had to run upstairs and look at the one we have - just to see what the name looked like. Does that mean I've got too many machines -when I can't remember what they look like anymore?

Blog Entries
    HA HA, I can't remember what all mine look like either, and I am over 60. I can remember some stuff better than others, but seem a little confused on remembering all the photos. I guess I quialify in the tooooo many machines category too. I have one that is for looks only unless I find parts for it. Got fromSteve here on the board and my is she pretty. She will be front stage and center whenever my new room is up.

Adam,

That size of thread spool is hard to find -- no regular thread spools I know of are that small. What I have discovered is that the small size spools which are found in "sewing repair kits" are exactly the same size as the wooden spool I found inside my machine. Now, the spools today are PLASTIC. My machine and its cabinet are still in the process of being cleaned and the cabinet refinished, so I haven't tested the spools for actual sewing performance. I do know that my machine works! I have a manual I purchased off the internet (my son found it), and it was $10.00.

Enjoy your machine! It's beautiful! Many, many years ago, I worked in the Technical Library at Kennedy Space Center. I stood on the steps of the KSC Headquarters Building and watched the first launch of the Apollo Space Craft which took place after the horrible launch pad accident in January of 1967! Talk about being haunted, if those old launch pads could talk, the history they could tell! I guess I need to stop waxing nostalgic! LOL

Jeanette Frantz

Macybaby,

There is a history of the National Two Spool machine, and the National Sewing Machine Company on ismacs.com. I printed it out and have it here somewhere on my desk, but there's so much other "stuff" that really doesn't belong on this desk. If I can locate it, I'll send you the website info!

Jeanette

Blog Entries
    Vintage wooden spools can be found at antique stores, estate sales, or some elderly seamstress who hasn't thrown out her old spools of thread (that be my mom ).

Antique stores are always fun. Good luck hunting and enjoy the machine!

Adam & Macybaby,

Here's the site! http://www.ismacs.net/national/from_...to_janome.html

Jeanette

Macybaby,

You may have been looking at my machine -- I posted pictures in the Antique/Vintage Photo area! I'll attach one here if I can remember how! After looking at Adam's machine, I checked the top of the head on my machine. It doesn't have any writing there! WOW there are some differences!

JeanetteName:  100_0278.JPG
Views: 163
Size:  36.0 KB
    Last edited by Jeanette Frantz; 11-11-2013 at 08:13 PM. Reason: attach photo

But that is the same machine....What year is the patent on that one? Even the paint pattern is the same. Yours is in much better shape for sure.

Does anyone know how many of these machines were produced total, or somewhere we could find that info?

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by vintageidaho View Post
    But that is the same machine....What year is the patent on that one? Even the paint pattern is the same. Yours is in much better shape for sure.

Does anyone know how many of these machines were produced total, or somewhere we could find that info?
    The pattern will be the same for the Two Spools, be it National or Eldredge. This machine that I'm am posting is the only machine found in a google search that has the same pattern as the Two Spools. This machine is a National Rotary. The machine head is NOT the same as the Two Spools. It's a totally different beast.
    Name:  Screen shot 2013-11-11 at 10.40.19 PM.png
Views: 402
Size:  334.9 KB

I believe it is Jon that may have information on the Nationals...or is it Davis machines. Anyhow, this machine was once posted here on QB, and Jon informed the person posting the CL ad that the machine was a rotary machine and not a Two Spools. There is someone out there collecting information on National machines, and they may be of help to you. I just can't recall who that person can be right now.

Jeannette, The decals on your Two Spools look to be in very good condition. My suggestion is only clean that machine with sewing machine oil to preserve the decals. Anything other than sewing machine oil could remove or silver the decals.

Quote Originally Posted by amyjo View Post
    HA HA, I can't remember what all mine look like either, and I am over 60. I can remember some stuff better than others, but seem a little confused on remembering all the photos. I guess I quialify in the tooooo many machines category too. I have one that is for looks only unless I find parts for it. Got fromSteve here on the board and my is she pretty. She will be front stage and center whenever my new room is up.
    When I want to remember what something looks like it's easier to find a picture of it on my computer than to go and look at the actual thing. I think I have too many things.

Quote Originally Posted by Jeanette Frantz View Post
    That size of thread spool is hard to find -- no regular thread spools I know of are that small. What I have discovered is that the small size spools which are found in "sewing repair kits" are exactly the same size as the wooden spool I found inside my machine. ...
    The bobbin can looks like it will hold a fairly big spool. I saw an old ad in which National boasted it could hold a 200 yd spool. I also found someone's blog where she said she found wooden spools of the right size at Michael's, or hobby lobby or someplace like that, and wound them herself. (I don't have a Two Spool but can you tell I want one? )

I have a bunch of old wooden spools, and the size of a 100 yd spool is often the same as a 200 yd. The 200 yd is just cut deeper. Wooden spools are nice, but some of them were made of maple, in an era when we were cutting down our old-growth forests like mad. Many of them are cut really shallow and don't hold much thread. I guess wood was cheap and thread was expensive. The "bow tie" shaped spools hold a lot.
    I re-found the National ad:
    http://news.google.com/newspapers?id...1662%2C6209536

Here's part of a fun article about vintage spools:
    http://info.fabrics.net/thread-spool-sizes-and-shapes/

more:
    http://info.fabrics.net/thread-labels-page-4/
    there are more photo galleries if you click on the links at the bottom of the page
    Sheila

Here is a picture of mine - with the Eldredge name - and says "National" on top.

I have a whole bunch of vintage wooden spools (that came with machines) that are the right size to fit in the spool holder.

My name is Cathy - and I'm addicted to old sewing machines and their attachments.

My name is Jeanette and I'm also addicted to old sewing machines and their attachments.

Adam, the last patent date (on the slide plate) is September 1913. I have no idea how old my machine is -- I inherited it from my aunt -- it belonged to her grandmother (aunt is 86) or great grandmother -- I don't know for sure, but I do know that my machine has been in a climate-controlled residence for the past 50-60 years. The difference in the machine -- at a glance mine has no writing on the top side of the head where yours has the place of manufacture. I have no idea what age this machine is -- I'm just trying to get it cleaned up and refurbish or refinish the cabinet. The cabinet has been very well cared for, so it's not in bad shape.

Thanks Sheila for the newspaper link. I purchased that same cabinet without the sewing machine some time ago. Deep underneath I found an Eldredge Two Spool manual, all rolled up and oil soaked. Now I know the vintage of the cabinet. I do have a complete Eldredge Two Spool head but it is for a treadle and won't work in the cabinet, alas. Perhaps someday I will find an electric model.
    Sweet Caroline

Adam great pics and a great looking machine. It's going to clean up very well. I'm glad you mentioned the boats in the background. I was going to ask if you built them. After working on boats the sewing machine will be easy just due to the size difference.
    Rodney

Thanks everyone for the responses. It seems all of you have a special interest in this particular machine. I'm so thrilled such people exist that believe in these old machines and there beauty and functionality. Lets keep going with this talk. All i read about is the millions and millions of Singers produced. It also seems this particular machine was revolutionary in productivity, which to me is weird that it wouldn't catch on with other manufacturers.

Rodney, I do build boats.... Recently i have been doing restore work. I find these old wooden drift boats and bring them back to original condition. One of the boats in the left side of the pictures is the winter project this year. It was built in the late 30's... It is one of the oldest known boats of its kind still in existence. I'm restoring it for a museum in Oregon.

check out www.woodboatpeople.com for another spectrum on forum talking.

[QUOTE=NikkiLu;6394659]There's a rule on most forums: "Pictures or it never happened."

Sounds like someone might be a nurse 'cause we say if its not charted it didn't happen.

There's a rule on most forums: "Pictures or it never happened."

Sounds like someone might be a nurse because we say if it isn't charted it didn't happen.
    Also as a real newbie to vintage machines, why is this one called a 2 spool? I only see one spool "spike" or what ever the thread holder is called.
    Thanks

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast