Free Treadle Sewing Machine

Old 12-20-2014, 10:50 PM

I was finally able to open the first photo and lighten it up..

The machine I believe is call a slim,, full rotary, can get a chain stitch adapter, said to be a high quality than singer.. I have 3 two are slims the other is a VS. only one in that cabinet. really the machine head is run of the mill.

It's the cabinet.. The drawer supports are steel and chromed those bolt / screw direct to the treadle frame. seems like the treadle flywheel is ball bearings, it has a system that locks the flywheel if you turn it backwards, also locks it when the machines is down. it will move but only a half turn..

in the photo the machine is not all the way up, there is a adjustment.... the front panel folds up as the machine goes up. the piece of wood on the left side of this also opens to allow more space for your legs.

someone has refinished that cabinet it looks like they did a nice job. I see no bad areas on it, other than the gap on the left side, and that flap piece may not be close fully.

this lift system is not like in whites ect where there a cable that could fail , it fully mechanical, " They" call it geared, but the gears only work to guide the machine the lift is done via levers. look at the face of the machine, then go straight back to the rear edge of the cabinet, There's a dark spot,

ok I screw this up and don't know how or want to spend the time to move this photo. This is what mine looked like on day one, This machine belong to the applegate family, ma & pa applegate after they blazed a new trail into oregon territory. today it looks just like the other pic
[ATTACH=CONFIG]503207[/ATTACH]

the spot is the top of a lever.

anyway before it get smashed and crushed at your local landfill, I really really need a left hand drawer
[ATTACH=CONFIG]503206[/ATTACH]
Attached Thumbnails img_2543.jpg   100_8833.jpg  
Old 12-20-2014, 10:53 PM

Originally Posted by Rodney View Post
10x's idea about hanging on to it while you're looking isn't a bad one. A good two spool might take a while to find.
The elevator lift sounds pretty cool to me. I like that sort of gadget.
Rodney
A 2 Spool on the East Coast might take an extra long while to come across. However, I'm a big believer in "seek and ye shall find" and can still remember the thrill of purchasing my first Davis. The Standard is a tough call but your right in hoping the right person will show up for it. Good Luck.

Jon
Old 12-20-2014, 11:03 PM

to make things 10x's more pressing , There is a two spool that's in a parlor cabinet with a elevator lift.

BUTT, the machine is hinge at the handwheel end as you open the lid the machine raises on the same yet opposite angle, so the lid opens to the left , machine raises to the right.

It makes you think " how did they do that" then spend all day opening and closing the lid.
Old 12-20-2014, 11:42 PM

If it were indeed going to the landfill of course I would send you the lefthand drawer 10xs, but I cannot let it go to the landfill...yet space in my studio is super tight, that's my dilemma. I'm hoping I'll be able to find a home for it soon. Time is of the essence since the gentleman is moving and needs it out of his home asap. It looks like I'll have to hold on to it in the meantime. When the right person comes along I want to give them the machine as it was received by me.
Old 12-21-2014, 02:05 AM
Power Poster

The Standard is a VERY nice machine - get rid of a FW or some other old Singer and get that Standard up and working. It is a well made machine. I'm thinking Glenn might have posted about one he just got.
Old 12-21-2014, 07:05 AM

I was hoping someone would pick it up without me even seeing it. I figure if I see it, I'll want to keep it. But of course that is what got me in my current situation with an obscene amount of machines I rarely say no to a stray. Rodney, 10xs, jlhmnj, Miriam, you are the best enablers a girl could have or want.
Old 12-21-2014, 08:26 AM

+++

OOOOOO I would love to have it
++++ BUT

*** am tooooooo far way, and cannot afford freight.
*++++
Old 12-21-2014, 08:28 AM

Yes the Standard is a well made machine. Smooth and quite. I got one recently with all the attachments including the spider for a chain stitch. I would keep this one in a heart beat.
Old 12-21-2014, 08:39 AM
Power Poster

Glenn, What size needles does the Standard take?
Old 12-21-2014, 08:42 AM

It takes a 15X1 that you can get any where.