Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main > For Vintage & Antique Machine Enthusiasts
Getting “tingle” from my machine. >

Getting “tingle” from my machine.

Getting “tingle” from my machine.

Old 10-25-2018, 08:24 PM

These machines do not have polarized plugs. With a polarized plug, one blade is wider than the other, so you can only plug the machine into the outlet one way. With these old machines you can insert the plug into your outlet in any of two combinations. If you happen to plug it in one way, and another appliance near you is plugged in the other way, you will get a voltage potential between the appliances. Running the machine will increase the potential, making the tickle stronger. If anyone is interested I can set up some test gear and post a video in a day or so, along with a fix.
Old 10-26-2018, 06:35 AM

Originally Posted by Sewjourner View Post
These machines do not have polarized plugs. With a polarized plug, one blade is wider than the other, so you can only plug the machine into the outlet one way. With these old machines you can insert the plug into your outlet in any of two combinations. If you happen to plug it in one way, and another appliance near you is plugged in the other way, you will get a voltage potential between the appliances. Running the machine will increase the potential, making the tickle stronger. If anyone is interested I can set up some test gear and post a video in a day or so, along with a fix.
Yes, this is what I have found so I flip the plug over and plug it in again. See if that works for you as well.
Old 10-26-2018, 08:37 AM

There shouldn't be any external current in the machine body, even by 1960 standard. By 1950 the double insulation mark was pretty much standard on most electrical appliances, at least in Nothern Europe. My 1950 201 has it. I think Singer kept the same high standard were every the machines were made, even though different countries had different standards. Very few domestic machines had three core grounded wire (the same for modern machines). I have only seen a single 201K23 with three core grounding so far. If there is any problem, have the wiring checked, a clever guy will find soultion.
Old 10-27-2018, 03:51 PM

Yikes!! That's scary! Lots of good suggestions here - I would definitely get it checked!
Old 11-05-2018, 12:31 AM

Have you had a chance to have it looked at yet?
Old 11-05-2018, 07:21 PM

My husband is a retired electrician and he says it is reverse polarity because the prongs on the plug are the same size. As suggested above, he says turn the plug over.