Getting Excited!

Old 01-16-2014, 11:17 PM

Originally Posted by Rach L. View Post

Candace,
Being new to the "vintage word" of sewing machines, I thought this would be an appropriate place to ask questions and get some thoughts. While I do watch eBay, I am skeptical for reasons I mentioned above. In addition, being new to this site, I don't know what's all where, and the information available. I guess I thought that a place for vintage enthusiasts would welcome any question. I apologize if it's a question that has been asked 500 times, but I find that getting feedback from other owners of machines I'm interested in is the best way of learning. As I learn more about this website, I'll find more information along the way, the more I'm able to explore, and sound dumb asking common questions. Regarding price, I see people asking about prices all the time, so I had no idea that "we don't really do prices here".
There are many prior threads about 301's so it's up to you to choose to look for them and do your research. I was giving you a helpful hint. If you decide to educate yourself,....that's up to you. We've all had to do research and read about what machines meet our needs. Many of us choose to also not give PRICES because we are not appraisers and this quilting board is not about telling people what their machines are worth. What a machine sells for in my area at a garage sale has nothing to do with a machine that has been serviced in your area. I've commented in many 301 threads before and it's all in the archives:>
Old 01-17-2014, 12:42 AM

Originally Posted by Rach L. View Post
Tomorrow I get to go pick up my Two Spools, assuming the spool can is there. However, I also have the opportunity to get a Singer 301. Anyone care to share their thoughts on the 301? I would love to get a 201, but I think I'll be satisfied with the 301...at least for a little bit. I'm looking for an electric model that can handle heavier fabrics (mostly denim), but will also be good for FMQ. I know price is relative to area, but for a mostly rural midwest town, is 175 too much? Thanks!
here's some information about THE 301 that might interest you. At first I didn't know anything about the 301A but got so interested when I found a great deal in my area. When I got it I now know why everyone is recommending it. It's so light yet a full size sewing machine. You will love it once you get one (but make sure it's a good price). Don't jump too soon. You'll find a better deal. But the 301 is highly recommended. You need to have one just like the FW.

Last edited by vmaniqui; 01-17-2014 at 12:47 AM.
Old 01-17-2014, 04:08 AM

Rach - like others have said, don't get upset if you get some less favorable responses if you ask about price. Since you've been posting about your Domestic and getting the two spool, you are getting way more favorable responses than what can happen when a newbie comes with a "what is a good price' question.

It's because we see that so, so often - and this site is not about what the machines are worth. And the truth is that it's not that hard to look around and do research and find that out for yourself. Most of us on this board have learned that doing it that way.

My advise - if you think it might be too high, then pass. I think most people will say the paid too much for a machine when they were just starting, or bought something they later decided they really didn't want. I know I for sure did, and now I've got machines I'm trying to sell - including 2 mocha 301 long bed machines in cases.

I was OK with them until I found the black 301 long bed in a case with a folding card table for $250.

If you love the look of that black 301 - AND really like the cabinet, then I'd say get it. If you don't really care for the cabinet, then you are paying too much - IMO. Sounds like you aren't even sure you want a 301 - and $150 is way too much to pay for something you aren't sure you want.

It's a mistake to get in a hurry buying machines that are more common models. Not like the Two Spool, that you might not see very many of.
Old 01-17-2014, 04:52 AM

Another thing about Craigslist - people will look on there - and see 3-4 Singer treadles, all being offered in the $200- $300 price range - and think "Wow, I should be able to get $250 for mine!"

But what they don't take into account - that is usually what machines AREN'T selling for. While some sellers don't remove adds, many do as soon as the machine sells, so you aren't going to see them. If you watch regularly and notice what comes on at what prices, and what is staying - you get an idea of what is a good deal and what is on the high end. But it's still depending on what you want - I've paid way more than a "good deal" to get something that I wanted when I wanted it.
Old 01-17-2014, 05:06 AM

A local Auctioneer that I follow sometimes stops his chant when he’s not getting the bids that he would like on an item, and gives this advice:

“Now don’t hold back folks, the more you pay for it, the more you’ll like it!”

“Ok, let’s go now.....50...who’llbidafivegottahaveafivebida55... ..55! Yes! Thank you Ma’am!.....Now 60......”

CD in Oklahoma
Old 01-17-2014, 08:05 AM
Banned

Originally Posted by ThayerRags View Post
A local Auctioneer that I follow sometimes stops his chant when he’s not getting the bids that he would like on an item, and gives this advice:

“Now don’t hold back folks, the more you pay for it, the more you’ll like it!”

“Ok, let’s go now.....50...who’llbidafivegottahaveafivebida55... ..55! Yes! Thank you Ma’am!.....Now 60......”

CD in Oklahoma
ROTFLMBO hehehehehe
Old 01-17-2014, 08:15 AM

Originally Posted by SteveH View Post
....hehehehehe
....and there I was, already celebrating my $50 purchase in my mind.....waiting for the gavel to fall...and then she made that bid....and took me all the way up to $90 before she finally quit!

But, the auctioneer was right. It’s a much nicer sewing machine than a cheap $50 one would have been.

CD in Oklahoma
Old 01-17-2014, 08:59 AM

Rach,

I don't know why, but there are several members on this board that get their knickers in a bunch when someone asks about prices. Yes, they do vary a lot from region to region, machine to machine and seller / buyer to seller / buyer. But I see no problem about ball park estimations.

In your case I have no idea because I do not follow price trends. "IF" I want a machine, and "IF" the price is where I can afford it, I get it. That varies too.

As for the search feature, you should see my bookmarks. I keep all my threads and many of other members treads bookmarked because I cannot find anything using the search feature. I'm officially search challenged. I can't even find my own threads. I have no imagination and never can come up with the right combination of words to get the search to work. I can't be alone.

So, go ahead and ask your questions. Those who can and want to will answer, those who don't, won't.

Oh, I have no interest in 301s, but I'd be all over that Two Spool like a cat on a mouse.

Joe
Old 01-17-2014, 10:00 AM

one problem with valueing things is, it depends on how big your market of shoppers is. A backroad yardsale won't usually get u the same price as a heavily searched internet market. It doesn't change the appreciation you have for it, just that a resale price depends on how much work are you willing to spend to sell it. Just my 2¢
Old 01-17-2014, 10:29 AM

Originally Posted by J Miller View Post
Rach,

I don't know why, but there are several members on this board that get their knickers in a bunch when someone asks about prices. Yes, they do vary a lot from region to region, machine to machine and seller / buyer to seller / buyer. But I see no problem about ball park estimations.

In your case I have no idea because I do not follow price trends. "IF" I want a machine, and "IF" the price is where I can afford it, I get it. That varies too.

As for the search feature, you should see my bookmarks. I keep all my threads and many of other members treads bookmarked because I cannot find anything using the search feature. I'm officially search challenged. I can't even find my own threads. I have no imagination and never can come up with the right combination of words to get the search to work. I can't be alone.

So, go ahead and ask your questions. Those who can and want to will answer, those who don't, won't.

Oh, I have no interest in 301s, but I'd be all over that Two Spool like a cat on a mouse.

Joe

Because Joe, this is a quilting board not an appraisal site. No sewing machine forum or group I belong to allows price guessing. And that's all that it is, is guessing. My knickers aren't in a bunch, thank you very much. :> As for searching, you just click on the Advanced search button and enter the topic you're interested in. Easy Peasy. Lots of info out there that folks have spent a lot of time posting and compiling. I've learned quite a lot from just reading past postings on subjects. I was and am trying to be helpful by trying to show others how to use the tools I do, to educate myself and learn about a topic.

Last edited by Candace; 01-17-2014 at 10:33 AM.