Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main > For Vintage & Antique Machine Enthusiasts
For giggles, continued, I saw it on... >

For giggles, continued, I saw it on...

For giggles, continued, I saw it on...

Old 11-05-2014, 12:41 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by sews View Post
http://www.ebay.com/itm/Brother-Pres...item4ade1f7f6d

Item condition:
Used

Excellent machine, lays down a perfect stitch.

Hmmmmm, look at the sample.... (last image)

I like the looks of the machine......
I won't buy from anyone who talks up a domestic machine for sewing leather and/or upholstery like that , and as for the stitch sample, he doesn't understand how to manipulate the stitch knobs.

BUT- I have three of these machines, that is the machine I learned to sew on. They do sew a perfect stitch, and I will admit to putting my moms machine to the test by sewing lots of things I shouldn't have, including most of the interior for a '67 Pontiac. My oldest DD has it now and it still sews like it's brand new. And here's a kicker- Some of them take cams, but you'd never know it by looking at it. It's a secret James Bond 007 type of thing.

Cari
Old 11-05-2014, 01:03 PM
Power Poster

Originally Posted by Cari-in-Oly View Post
I won't buy from anyone who talks up a domestic machine for sewing leather and/or upholstery like that , and as for the stitch sample, he doesn't understand how to manipulate the stitch knobs.

BUT- I have three of these machines, that is the machine I learned to sew on. They do sew a perfect stitch, and I will admit to putting my moms machine to the test by sewing lots of things I shouldn't have, including most of the interior for a '67 Pontiac. My oldest DD has it now and it still sews like it's brand new. And here's a kicker- Some of them take cams, but you'd never know it by looking at it. It's a secret James Bond 007 type of thing.

Cari
A lot of times they will sew through leather. BUT what thickness? How much leather? I would think it would be a lot more efficient to sew leather on a machine made to sew leather. I had a real old Singer 15 that did sew through a lot of leather. It was a cruddy looking machine but boy could that thing sew. It had one of the older heavy hand wheels on it, too. mumble mumble mumble....
Old 11-05-2014, 02:22 PM

Originally Posted by manicmike View Post
Ha ha ha... must be a Canadian machine
- that's right ehhh!!
Old 11-05-2014, 02:25 PM

.. nice but you want how much?? .. would take lots of negotiating & haggling

http://www.kijiji.ca/v-buy-sell-othe...ationFlag=true
Old 11-05-2014, 02:56 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by costumegirl View Post
.. nice but you want how much?? .. would take lots of negotiating & haggling

http://www.kijiji.ca/v-buy-sell-othe...ationFlag=true
Another uninformed seller thinking they're gonna make a mortgage payment.

Cari
Old 11-05-2014, 03:21 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by miriam View Post
A lot of times they will sew through leather. BUT what thickness? How much leather? I would think it would be a lot more efficient to sew leather on a machine made to sew leather. I had a real old Singer 15 that did sew through a lot of leather. It was a cruddy looking machine but boy could that thing sew. It had one of the older heavy hand wheels on it, too. mumble mumble mumble....
Absolutely Miriam, just because a domestic machine CAN sew the heavy stuff doesn't mean it should be fed a steady diet of it. When I did it with Moms Prestige I didn't know any better. Now I do. His "retractable feed" statement makes me wonder just how much he really knows, I've never heard it called that before. And I wonder why the motor has been replaced.

Cari
Old 11-05-2014, 04:19 PM
Power Poster

Originally Posted by Cari-in-Oly View Post
Absolutely Miriam, just because a domestic machine CAN sew the heavy stuff doesn't mean it should be fed a steady diet of it. When I did it with Moms Prestige I didn't know any better. Now I do. His "retractable feed" statement makes me wonder just how much he really knows, I've never heard it called that before. And I wonder why the motor has been replaced.

Cari
A walking foot is much better for leather. Yup hard on a motor but you can hand crank and sew through a lot of stuff. I sure wouldn't do a lot of it.
Old 11-05-2014, 06:22 PM

Can and should are two different things, sometimes easily confused. I don't even bat an eye at the claims of being an industrial style machine any more.
That brother machine is pretty. Just not $1200.00 pretty.
Rodney
Old 11-06-2014, 02:03 AM
Power Poster

https://indianapolis.craigslist.org/atq/4747670093.html
I'm betting he has to pay someone to take it...
Old 11-06-2014, 02:41 AM

Originally Posted by miriam View Post
A lot of times they will sew through leather. BUT what thickness? How much leather?
Yes they're always scammers. I put ads that say this it in the same category as the "industrial strength" brigade.