Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main > For Vintage & Antique Machine Enthusiasts
going to go look at another one >

going to go look at another one

going to go look at another one

Old 08-21-2013, 07:14 PM

Default going to go look at another one

And yes, I know, going to look is almost the same as going to buy LOL!! Though we won't come home with this one if all the pieces aren't there.

It's an Eldridge two spool sewing machine in a treadle cabinet. Lady said it belonged to her MIL and she's had it for many years, but never used it. Everything is suppose to be there including two manuals and a Certificate of Warranty issued when her MIL bought it.

I figure the chances of another one of these showing up in my area (ok - so it's 70 miles away) are rare, so I'd better grab while I can.

DH was handling the transaction, and the seller wasn't sure at first dealing with a man, but after a few comments she warmed right up and they talked about 20 mn on the phone. She's excited to be selling the machine to someone that knows about them and can service them and plans on using it.

I always tell DH to let the seller know that he and his wife will be coming to pick the machine up. More often he's talking to a woman, and you can tell they just don't know if they should trust a man when he says he is interested in the sewing machine - that he isn't actually interested in something totally different. I don't blame them one bit.

My son does not run into the same problem - but he's only 30 and simply says "My Mom told me to get it for her" and everyone rolls their eyes and laughs.

I'll give an update tomorrow after we get back.
Old 08-22-2013, 02:22 AM

Good luck Macybaby, hope everything is there!
Old 08-22-2013, 02:25 AM

Lol, I've used my son as a icebreaker! Told the seller that he was the new football coach of a major area high school lol and that he was coming with me, lol that broke that ice right up!!
Old 08-22-2013, 05:56 AM

Did you ask if it has the spool case???? That is very important as they are as scarce as hens teeth to find.
Old 08-22-2013, 05:59 AM
Power Poster

Anxious to see it if you get it.
Old 08-22-2013, 08:48 AM

Here she is.

The spool case won't clip in, but she needs a good lube - a bit more rust than I like to see but DH feels he's up to the task. Everything seems to move freely otherwise.
Came with a full set of attachments including a Greist Instruction manual, and an underbraider and shirring plate. Also has the manual for the machine and a Warranty for 10 years from the date of purchase, May 1930.

Cabinet is in decent shape too

- now the hard part, where to put it?
Old 08-23-2013, 05:12 AM

Beautiful! I have an Eldridge Two Spool too! Nice find!
Old 08-23-2013, 07:59 AM

This is the first Non-Singer I've been real excited about getting. The harp area is huge!
Old 08-23-2013, 08:38 AM

Macybaby, Congrats on owning a Two Spools! It's my favorite machine for piecing since it has the perfect 1/4 foot and the feed dogs teeth are both the same length to feed the fabric evenly through.

Is that manual for the Two Spools or the attachments? If you have the Two Spools manual, there are directions on adjusting the Spool case spring plunger, which is what may be preventing you from getting the spool case to clip in place. If you don't have these directions, I will be happy to post them here. You will need a very small, thin screw driver head to make the adjustment.
Old 08-23-2013, 10:20 AM

Thanks Vintagemotif - I have the manual for both the machine and attachments. This one is now up with the rest of the "ladies in waiting" for my DH to get to. It's good to know there is an adjustment.

I may have to encourage DH to get the 401 finished so he can start on this one, I'm anxious to see how it sews.