Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main > For Vintage & Antique Machine Enthusiasts
The Greyhound has landed, part 1 - unpacking >

The Greyhound has landed, part 1 - unpacking

The Greyhound has landed, part 1 - unpacking

Old 02-01-2014, 02:01 PM

Wasn't it a CL ad? It'll be okay, just more work than you originally bargained for. There are pads that level the machine in the base, if yours is like mine, and one of mine is (was) missing. They are different speeds of "Crazy Glue" at the woodworking store that I've used on pen making. You can put just a teensy bit in and then press down with cling wrap over your finger. It can even be buffed.
Old 02-01-2014, 02:52 PM

Send the seller the pictures you showed us and tell him you're keeping the machine. Then ask him if he wants the repair bill for the case too. He will forget about the $16 pretty quickly.
Pretty machine. I saw you already have someone who can repair the case. If that doesn't work out, you can ship it here and I should be able to get it back into half-way decent shape again, though it will never be perfect. I read your other post about the machine too. I'll continue my reply there so it makes sense to everyone.
Old 02-01-2014, 03:03 PM

How handy are you? Do you know if the spool pin is threaded like a screw or is it pressed in? Either way it can be carefully drilled out and a new one installed. You're better off using a drill press instead of a hand held drill. Use a center punch to start a little hole in the pin so your drill bit doesn't wander off center and use a sharp drill bit. If in doubt, buy a new bit, it will help keep the bit centered and that can be tricky on something small like your pin. If you need someone to repair the broken case you can ship all the broken bits to me and I'll be happy to glue it back together for you, just pay the shipping. Keep track of all the costs of the repair in case the seller continues to be an a**. They'll find something better to do with their time pretty quickly.
Rodney
Old 02-01-2014, 03:22 PM

Congratulations on your new/old machine! It's in a good home, I know. Sorry you had bad luck with damages incurred. I didn't really appreciate how fortunate I've been when my machines have arrived. (One was not so well packed but had "fragile, china " and such written on outside of the cardboard box. Guess I just lucked out. Must get to your next post to continue reading your adventure.
Old 02-01-2014, 03:28 PM

Yes, I agree with Oldsewnsew - a bit more work than you had bargained for but don't part with the neat machine. The getting back to where you want it to be will endear you that much more to your new baby. Sounds like Rodney is more than capable and willing to help out and get you on your way. Be sure to show us as progress is made!
Old 02-01-2014, 03:50 PM

Glad the machine made it. Sorry about the damage. It does not sound like the machine is ruined or anything like that, so that is good.
Old 02-01-2014, 05:28 PM

I had a featherweight that arrived with the carrying case side busted from the machine shifting inside of it. Thankfully the machine was not damaged, but darn it I wanted the case too! I have made my peace with the damage and will probably refinish the case to suit my personality as the original finish is kaputt.

Sewing machines are so bottom heavy with fragile spindles and knobs. Unless a person is very careful to stabilize the machine, it will shift and damage.

You have a lovely machine there and I hope that the repairs are swiftly done and you can get back to the business of loving her!

Don't send the jerk any more money!!
Old 02-01-2014, 06:07 PM

Thanks Rodney for all the advice and the kind offer. I know a local woodworker and there are also several woodcarvers in the area. I nearly impaled myself with a massive splinter when I first picked it up. I'll be using gloves when working on the base until I get some things smoothed out or glued. I just don't have a lot in the way of clamps. Candace, I took a chance on Craigslist so I knew it was Caveat Emptor. Not something I'd do usually but I just had to bring this Greyhound home. Here's close up of some of the splintering & gouging. The machine is worth the hassle. I'm glad to adopt a Greyhound any time and I figure I have gotten so many great deals on machines that a little expense on such a rare find is okay.
[ATTACH=CONFIG]459996[/ATTACH][ATTACH=CONFIG]460002[/ATTACH][ATTACH=CONFIG]460003[/ATTACH]
Attached Thumbnails 20140201_22.jpg   20140201_14.jpg   20140201_16.jpg  
Old 02-01-2014, 06:09 PM

didn't the seller pack it so well that he was even asking for some extra money from you? so sad about the broken parts/case but you've got a nice machine out there. congrats and enjoy your greyhound !
Old 02-01-2014, 06:33 PM

I forgot to put the serial # on this post. R 4181271 The decal on the arch says electric below the Greyhound "R". Is it possible the decal was put on when it was electrified? It just seems like an old style of machine with the vibrating shuttle to be designed as an electric. It's 3/4, I think. At least it's about 6 3/4" x 13 1/2" and the arch is about 11" long, excepting the wheel. It looks so much smaller than my 66 but is the same length just much skinnier so I don't know if it's a 3/4 or not.