Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main > For Vintage & Antique Machine Enthusiasts
The Greyhound has landed, part 1 - unpacking >

The Greyhound has landed, part 1 - unpacking

The Greyhound has landed, part 1 - unpacking

Old 02-02-2014, 05:13 AM

With some creative handiwork from you, that machine is going to be gorgeous again. What's a little extra "elbow grease" when you can salvage such a beauty. Good luck in your endeavours. Let us see the final product.
Old 02-02-2014, 05:28 AM

I've been looking and looking at pictures, and I think yours is what Needlebar refers to as the Model R. It's not quite 3/4 size, that measures 11/3/8 x 7, so the bed is slightly wider, but it's 2" shorter - so the pillar is 2" closer to the needle bar.

The New HOme ClimaxT I've got coming in the mail (oh, that sounds bad!) is the 3/4 size machine, so I'll post pictures when it gets here. It does not have near the straight top line as yours has. That little Green Grayhound Joe has is the 3/4 size machine, as is the green New Home on ebay that nobody wants for $10 (poor thing)

Needlebar also notes that New Home added letters to their serial numbers around 1930 - and yes, they were still making them with that style tensioner -so yours probably came electric from the factory.

There is a later model of the same machine refereed to as "R2" and it is the same head with the more standard size base, 14.5 x 7.

Last edited by Macybaby; 02-02-2014 at 05:30 AM.
Old 02-02-2014, 05:36 AM

BTW - New Home become affilated with Free around 1930, and the they moved production to Rockford Ill, so maybe the R denotes that it was made in there and not in MA. Not long after the move, the name "New Home" ended up being just a name on Free machines, and this style disappeared.

It is likely that Free was using up already manufactured parts - and that would make since with going to the standard size base and then this style goiing away all together. Just speculation on my part, but it's a rather common practice when one company takes over the assets of another.

I'll also add that the base on my 3/4 size machine is also different than the earlier smaller New Homes (and they all look tiny compared to the Singers).

Last edited by Macybaby; 02-02-2014 at 05:43 AM.
Old 02-02-2014, 06:35 AM
Power Poster

So sorry about the damage.
Old 02-02-2014, 06:36 AM
Power Poster

Nice machine!
Old 02-02-2014, 08:10 AM

Thanks Cathy! I was looking at Needlebar bar, too and looked at the R but it was listed as a Ruby then thought maybe a TI? The pillar says Orange, MA but whether it was made there or is a post move using up the old parts, who knows? Here's a closeup of the foot end if that helps. If there's any photo you'd like to see to identify or get more info this Greyhound. It doesn't have the Light Running slogan anywhere.
[ATTACH=CONFIG]460093[/ATTACH] [ATTACH=CONFIG]460094[/ATTACH][ATTACH=CONFIG]460095[/ATTACH]
Attached Thumbnails 20140202_03.jpg   20140202_04.jpg   20140202_09.jpg  
Old 02-02-2014, 05:12 PM

That sure is a pretty machine. I think the "R" in the name is there because it is a model "R" machine.

The underside of the machines is usually where you can see the biggest differences, when my machine shows up we can compare differences. And maybe someday we'll let the machines have a "play day" and compare them in person. I've been thinking about how to make a webbing harness that would fit over the wooden case so it could be safely carried without putting stress on the case.
Old 02-02-2014, 05:43 PM

I had a Greyhound "R" at one time and the first thing that came to my mind is that the "R" stood for "Racing". Model R is listed in the SM encyclopedia.

Not much of a game.

Jon
Old 02-02-2014, 10:09 PM

Originally Posted by Macybaby View Post
... That little Green Grayhound Joe has is the 3/4 size machine, as is the green New Home on ebay that nobody wants for $10 (poor thing) ...
Someone finally decided to give it a New Home! I was thinking about it and then got distracted with dinner. For some reason, I like that style. I want a handcrank!
Old 02-03-2014, 06:28 AM

I got a Singer on ebay that arrived with the case all damaged. I took photos and emailed them to the seller. He offered a partial refund or another machine in addition to this one. Hey DH is a carpenter who could fix the case so I took the other machine as a consolation. DH fixed the case beautifully, the "other machine" purrs and all is well. Contact the seller before filing a complaint. Ya never know what will happen. You can always file the complaint
When I sell machine I go to Savers (thift store) and buy a used Rubbermaid container, fill it with Styrofoam peanuts, pack the machine itself with batting all around the machine, bag it and then and more peanuts. Never had a complaint. Everyone remarks on the packing. I pride myself on great feedback. It doesn't sound like your seller does. But don't fly off the handle before you contact him. Good luck.