Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main > For Vintage & Antique Machine Enthusiasts
Grounding Vintage Sewing Machines >

Grounding Vintage Sewing Machines

Grounding Vintage Sewing Machines

Old 06-08-2014, 04:38 PM

Photos or it never happened!
Old 06-08-2014, 04:54 PM

Originally Posted by Jamesbeat View Post
I did a search and found quite a few posts about people getting mild electric shocks (often described as a 'tingle') from their machines. That seems like a valid enough reason to add a ground.

This kind of risk could almost be eliminated by a periodic visual inspection of the wiring, but there are some wires on my machine (for the light) that can't be visually inspected without removing them from the machine.
They are routed through the casing, and there are large sections which can't be seen with the wires in situ.
I have been involved in a lot of those conversations, and I would hazard a guess (since many of the threads never were resolved for lack of followup) that 95% of them were due to deteriorated wiring, not because the machines were inherently unsafe as they were intended from the factory.

The fact is that the most dangerous part of operating and maintaining a sewing machine is usually the operator. You can't tell me that people don't notice a fraying or damaged cord when they're wrapping it up, or a broken connector, or... in most cases they see it and choose to deal with it later.

Yes, I personally had one of the old "servicable" Singer connectors that had come undone and I needed to tighten the connectors inside the main connector. That's the one that made me sparkle because I lacked an appropriate amount of sleep prior to the job but more often I find it's the wiring we can see at fault. It's what gets bent and wrapped and coiled and tugged.

There are a few spots sometimes, usually from poor planning on the part of the manufacturer, inside the machine where some abrasion can happen, and I agree, those should be checked out and checked on. I still think ATF is more of a hazard to little bodies than a well maintained vintage sewing machine.

Originally Posted by manicmike View Post
James, your mother wears army boots! (just tryin' to be funny)
K,.. I totally never got the army boots thing. My teen years were the early 90s. Lots of us gals wore army boots...

Originally Posted by Cecilia S. View Post
Manicmike, careful there before hauling out the ammunition- weren't you once caught, by your daughter, wearing pyjamas and holding a Featherweight on a bathroom scale?
Photos or it never happened!
Oh! There's a pic somewhere on the QB! I wish I cold remember what thread it was.
Old 06-08-2014, 05:01 PM

Originally Posted by Cecilia S. View Post
Manicmike, careful there before hauling out the ammunition- weren't you once caught, by your daughter, wearing pyjamas and holding a Featherweight on a bathroom scale?
It wasn't the first or the last time I did that, the pyjamas are optional
Old 06-08-2014, 05:08 PM

Originally Posted by ArchaicArcane View Post
K,.. I totally never got the army boots thing. My teen years were the early 90s. Lots of us gals wore army boots...
I got the 'insult' from Bugs Bunny cartoons but the humour was wasted on me - I wore army boots during my youth too.
Old 06-08-2014, 05:19 PM
Power Poster

So what is wrong with wearing army boots??? I like mine. They make swinging a sledge hammer ssssoooooo much safer.
Old 06-08-2014, 05:39 PM

Originally Posted by manicmike View Post
It wasn't the first or the last time I did that, the pyjamas are optional
Not here they're not, Bucko!!
Old 06-08-2014, 06:36 PM

Appliances with exposed heating elements aren't grounded, because this is a special case in which a ground can actually increase the chance of a shock.
How so? A short to ground should trip the breaker, i.e. the cabinet, through a ground wire. So what about coffee pots, irons, hair dryers, etc. Stoves have exposed heating elements, and in this country only got a real seperate ground wire, after the national code was changed. Many dryers aren't grounded still.
Old 06-08-2014, 06:42 PM

Originally Posted by oldsewnsew View Post
How so? A short to ground should trip the breaker, i.e. the cabinet, through a ground wire. So what about coffee pots, irons, hair dryers, etc. Stoves have exposed heating elements, and in this country only got a real seperate ground wire, after the national code was changed. Many dryers aren't grounded still.
Because sometimes people stick forks in toasters while they're plugged in. If they're also touching the case (likely) and it's grounded, then they become the short to ground...
Old 06-08-2014, 06:47 PM
Power Poster

Sounds like it might be safest to go Amish. But then you have to deal with buggy accidents.
Old 06-08-2014, 07:25 PM

Because sometimes people stick forks in toasters while they're plugged in. If they're also touching the case (likely) and it's grounded, then they become the short to ground...
I see sticking a fork in the toaster as a challenge and do it often. It's like a more exciting version of "Operation"