Hales Crescent

Old 08-13-2018, 08:28 PM

Default Hales Crescent

Hi all! My wonderful hubby just bought me a vintage cabinet for my birthday today, but we are coming up a bit blank on history. We have found it was probably manufactured by Johnson, Flanders & Co in the late 1800s but not much else. There is an engraved “1872797” on the plate beneath the head and and “A” stamped on the underside of the machine. Any clues or resources would be helpful. Thanks!
Old 08-14-2018, 04:21 AM

Photos would help in identifying. Many, many machines were built by one manufacturer or another, then decaled and "badged" for whatever hardware or department store that wanted to sell under their own name.
Old 08-14-2018, 05:18 AM

I'll second what WIChix said about a picture and the possibility of it being a badged machine. You might want to check out Vintage Sewing Machine Shop.....Come on in and sit a spell and Hale's Crescent - in search of information

The first link is a really long thread with many different machines mentioned and a lot of dead links. Maybe there is some more info on pages on either side of that link.

Janey - Neat people never make the exciting discoveries I do.
Old 08-14-2018, 06:39 AM

the only thing I found on that name was info with no pictures stating the MFG machines with the Crescent name. however the Crescent machines I've seen were made by National, so it's very likely they were a reseller.

I've done a study on Us made High arm machines around the turn of the century, and do not recognize that name as a mfg. Lots and lots of companies had MFG in thier "name" but did not actually manufacture anything.