Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main > For Vintage & Antique Machine Enthusiasts
Here's how to fix "moving needlebar during bobbin winding" problem >

Here's how to fix "moving needlebar during bobbin winding" problem

Here's how to fix "moving needlebar during bobbin winding" problem

Old 06-08-2012, 04:47 PM

Wonderful instruction al videos. Hoping they can help me solve the problem on the machine I'm working on currently. Thanks so much anbd I noticed very little accent nor did you speak fast.
Old 06-08-2012, 05:25 PM
Power Poster

Originally Posted by Vintage.Singers.NYC View Post
At some point I've got to write an anti-WD40 entry. People often use this on sewing machines, and you definitely do not want to. While it seems to deliver good short-term results, over time it dries into a gummy consistency and does more harm than good.
I am rather experienced with the gummy - I'll vouch for you Rain... that stuff makes it worse when it dries. Best thing is to use some Triflow.
Old 06-09-2012, 01:53 PM

Hi all, I added a new video showing how to deal with the stop motion clamp washer on a non-potted-motor machine. This type of washer lacks bosses, and looks a bit like a propellor with stubby blades; if you have a 99, 66, 306 etc., you'll find it familiar.

The video entry can be viewed here:

http://bit.ly/LFkMOG

happy fixing,
Old 06-10-2012, 09:48 AM
Muv

Hello Rain, Very good video!

I find it's always easiest to remember to put a Singer washer back in with the writing facing inwards. Also I make sure I completely remove the small screw and put it in a safe place before removing the stop motion screw itself - if it dropped out I would never find it on the floor. Another handy trick is that if you have a spoked wheel you can look round the back when you have put the stop motion screw back on and you will see if the small screw is in the correct position in relation to the projections on the washer.

Now I'll show you my naughty Serata where the wheel is stuck fast to the shaft. The cocktail stick shows the lubrication hole. The end of the shaft is completely flush with the centre of the wheel, so there is no handy groove for the washer to sit in, as on a Singer. Therefore the two little lugs in the middle have to point inwards, towards the machine, the opposite way to a Singer washer. The other side of the Serata washer is completely flat.

Now you see my predicament and why I am more or less resigned to letting the wheel stay as it is.
Attached Thumbnails serata-016.jpg   serata-019.jpg   serata-034.jpg  
Old 06-11-2012, 08:54 AM

Adding my thanks for the videos! This may help me out on my 15-91, which is wonderful otherwise, but sometimes has a cranky needlbar when winding bobbins.
Old 06-23-2012, 07:03 PM

Rain,
Thanks for the videos and explanations. Used them on a New Home Light Running DSM and hope I am successful. Will know tomorrow.

Chris
Old 06-24-2012, 05:18 AM

Rain, your videos are great. I have a machine back home that I need to work on.... now I know what I need to do.
Old 06-24-2012, 03:49 PM

This video did the trick on the New Home Light Running. When the handwheel came off, so did the tophat loooking piece that sits on the shaft. Those 2 piueces came apart when I was putting it back together so did some more cleaning and oiling and now the clutch disengages. Thank you so much for the video and explanantion.
First photo is of just the handwheel with the tophat piece attached. 2nd photo is the tophat piece back on the shaft.
Attached Thumbnails handwheel.jpg   tophat-wedge.jpg  

Last edited by chris_quilts; 06-24-2012 at 03:52 PM.
Old 01-13-2014, 02:46 PM

I wanted to thank you for the video. I have a 1901 Singer 27, a 1910 Singer 127 and a 1921 Singer 66-1 that all had this problem. After watching the video last night, I jumped in this afternoon and within 2 hours I now have all 3 machines working properly. On the 27 and 66 I had to use your little trick with the needlebar but, it worked perfectly. Thanks so much!!!!