Household brand treadle

Old 04-22-2023, 09:53 AM

Default Household brand treadle

I've never used a forum so pls forgive any errors.
I have a complete HOUSEHOLD machine mfg in Providence RI by Providence Tool, however I have no manual though I've searched the internet, Facebook groups, ebay, etc to no avail.
I'm told the bar across the top is where the tension is though I see no way to thread it.
I have pictures and would be
Old 04-22-2023, 10:35 AM

Here are Janey's aka OurWorkBench, instructions for posting pictures. Pictures will be very helpful.

We like pictures. In order to post pictures on Quilting Board, you will probably need to reduce or compress the picture to a file size that is smaller than 2MB. How to post images can be found at https://www.quiltingboard.com/attach...020-01-17-.pdf
Don't forget to scroll over to the far right to find and click on the "Upload" button.

I have found that only the big red "Reply" button or "Quote" work to give me the paper clip icon to work for adding pictures.
https://www.quiltingboard.com/attach...p-location.jpg

Some additional info regarding reducing images at post #4 and images for the scroll and upload button can be found at #5 of quilt block ID?

Another way to post pictures can be found at 2021/2022, 2.5” Birthday Swap
And how to use an ipad to post pictures can be found at Uploading photos

Or simply - Make sure pictures are smaller than 2MB
Click on red "Reply" button
Click on the paper clip icon
Click browse - choose picture/s. (only 5 allowed per post)
Once they show up as being loaded, Scroll over to the right side and click on "Upload"
After the pictures show up as being attached, you can close that window and go back to the screen to finish posting your post.
Old 04-22-2023, 10:58 AM

Well sadly I don't this will happen. I'm am computer dumb and no clue even with directions
Old 04-22-2023, 04:53 PM

Default Upper Tension

From your description, my guess it is like this one. The thread goes between the two plates, entering into the slot. Loosen the knob, and slide the thread in there. Some of those don't have a slot, but work the same. The knob adjusts the tension by squeezing the tread between the plates.
I have a Household table, but it came without the machine. I put a Minnesota A in it. Both Household and Minnesota were made for Sears.
Attached Thumbnails upper-tension.jpg  
Old 04-22-2023, 05:03 PM

This is exactly what mine looks like! Can't imagine how you get the right tension but tomorrow I'm going to try. Not sure what the slot is for but I'm guessing thread must go through the back and come out the front to go down to the bobbin winder. There is a slight divot in the front and I'm guessing that is how it has to go. Is the phoyo from your New National?
Thank you for responding! Wish I could communicate directly but truly appreciate this much info💕
Nancy
Old 04-22-2023, 06:10 PM

Welcome to Quilting Board. You have what is commonly called a leaf tension. Yes, you would thread it from the spool through the notch in the leaf tension and then slide it under and between like you would floss your teeth then on toward the nose. To wind the bobbin, there are no guides from the spool to the bobbin. It is to be held in your hand about 10 inches away from the machine. I have a manual that I got on another forum, but it is no longer available there. It is a rather large pdf file.

Some things you may not be aware of are as follows:
1. The hand wheel goes away from you.
2. The needle is no longer made and there is no substitute for it. It takes a Boye #2 needle which is called a 1x7 system needle. It is longer and with a narrower shank than most needles. There are some available on ebay with a wooden tube https://www.ebay.com/itm/225267456721 and more without the wooden tube at https://www.ebay.com/itm/325369239015
3. The needle is to be inserted with the flat part of the shank to the left.
4. The stitch length knob is on the back of the machine. If you are facing the back of the machine, the knob gets turned to the right to lengthen the stitch.
5. The leaf tension gets tightened by screwing to the right.

I sure wish we could see some pictures of your machine. As you have found there are not many resources for the Providence Tool Household machines. I did find a few, most are drawings and not actually pictures.
http://possumjimandelizabeth.com/xht...household.html
https://www.fiddlebase.com/american-...chine-company/
https://d28lcup14p4e72.cloudfront.ne...9/DSC_0256.jpg

Janey - Neat people never make the exciting discoveries I do.
Not affiliated with off-site link(s)
Old 04-23-2023, 06:16 AM

I can send photos via email, or text but I'm computer dumb and the instructions given here are so confusing. I would love to deal with someone one on one but I guess that's not allowed.
I would pay for a manual but haven't been able to locate. Thank you for your response, one bit closer to getting me there💕
Thanks Nancy
Old 04-23-2023, 01:06 PM

Nancy, are you on a computer or a phone or other mobile device? I will send you a private message. I am on a laptop computer so my screen is different than those mobile devices.

Old 04-23-2023, 01:11 PM

I am on my phone. My laptop is so old I don't use it. My phone does everything my laptop could do.
Old 04-23-2023, 02:31 PM

Default Pictures of Household machine

I was able to get the pictures and have resized them so that they can be posted here. I'm not sure if these will show right side up when you click on the thumbnails. Sure is a neat machine. It looks like it is threaded correctly, except for needing to go through the leaf tension.

Attached Thumbnails hh-badge.jpg   hh-front.jpg   hh-full.jpg   hh-nose.jpg   hh-shuttle.jpg