How many do you have...

Old 06-08-2012, 03:33 AM

Originally Posted by cmrenno View Post
I have 12 and I try to use them all. And when my husband gets on my case I ask him how many saws he has and then he leaves me alone.

Colleen
I've had that same conversation with The Husband, only with fishing rods.

And I think next time I get accused of having 'too many', I'm going to make him read this thread. Clearly I have a LOT of catching up to do!
Old 06-08-2012, 06:36 AM

Originally Posted by AshleyR View Post
My husband and I were wondering where you put them all??! I mean, we have a big farm house and extra rooms... and my three (soon to be four) machines take up a LOT of room! Only one is in a cabinet, and it's in the dining room for now.. in the way
Where? Great question! It might be hard to understand the 'why' we have so many machines.

We have machines in every room but the bathrooms, kitchen and one bedroom (pretty sure that is a temporary thing ) Oh, I forgot, there are two in the garage and two desks for each of my Singer 301 machines that I haven't cleaned yet, so they can come into our home.

If I could have a small workshop that was just devoted to displaying them, I probably would have many more. Too many good, solid vintage sewing machines wil probably end up in a dump because the last few genereations haven't been raised to use them... for the most part. So, I guess you could say we are doing our part to save history. When you get started looking into the history of how machines were developed and manufactured, it really is fascinating. And, therein begins the process of hunting for machines... and collecting them.
Old 06-08-2012, 06:50 AM

Originally Posted by AshleyR View Post
My husband and I were wondering where you put them all??! I mean, we have a big farm house and extra rooms... and my three (soon to be four) machines take up a LOT of room! Only one is in a cabinet, and it's in the dining room for now.. in the way
I have the same problem... But I have a 1 and 3 year old who need somewhere to live. So my one cabinet hangs out in the dining room for now. Someday I will get a treadle. Dh is convinced of their cool factor now.

Figured I should clarify that the 1 and 3 year olds are in fact humans. Not machines.
Old 06-08-2012, 06:57 AM

I live in a two bedroom apartment. I have one treadle in the living room, and two electrics and 4 treadles line the perimeter of my dining room. One treadle is residing partially on my table, and partially in the living room as it's being refinished, and one treadle cabinet is at my wood guy's place, waiting to come back home! When those two are finished, the two electrics that are in the dining room will move to my bedroom to join two electrics in cabinets that live there. I have two cabinet machines in my sewing room, and the portables all live where ever they end up at! (Under other cabinets, top of the freezer, top of the desk hutch, etc.)

I'll take pics and post them one of these days....
Old 06-08-2012, 06:46 PM

I bought a machine yesterday at our Bibles for China(good will) it looks like an old Singer but it is Green and has the name minerva on it. I have googled it and all I find is that they make industrial machines. I have seen a couple of pics but knowone seems to know much about it. It needs a bobbin shuttle which looks standard so we will see.
Happy with "kelly"
Old 06-08-2012, 10:03 PM

Gee gotta count the herd.... A grand total of 18.
The ones that get used the most at home are the Pfaff and Viking.
For sewing group one of the Featherweights go with me; if I need zig zag the 1031.
Blanket stitch is a job for the Sapphire.
I often piece my quilts with the 201 treadle, quite relaxing and disturbs nobody's sleep
when I sew late at night.
The Berninas,Pfaff and Sapphire all share a Horn Quiltmate cabinet, just change the plexiglass insert and any of them will go in it.

Electrics:
4 Featherweights: 3 black 1 tan
2 black 301 short beds(severe tension issues)
Singer 99K hand crank
Singer Genie 353
Pfaff 1222 E
Berninas:930 and 1031
Husqvarna Viking Sapphire 875Q

Treadles(all Singer)
I use the 201,15-90 and 237 the most. I have 3 treadle cabinets and swap out the different heads.
66-1 red eye(2)
15-90
115(in rehab)
Sharon W.

Last edited by purplefiend; 06-08-2012 at 10:10 PM.
Old 06-09-2012, 07:05 AM

Originally Posted by MrsBoats View Post
...and how many do you use?
Total Herd: 12
Used: 5
My wife and I have 44 in our home, and use 14 of them. (We have 10 at our shop, but only use 6 of them. The others are duplicates in case a machine gives us problems in the middle of a job.) Customer sewing is done mostly at the shop. We do our “fun sewing” at home, and have turned our living room and dining room into our main sewing room. The machines that we use at home are:
Her sewing work station (always set up to sew):
1956 Singer 301A LBOW
1960 Singer 401A
2000s Singer 14U554 Serger
2001 White W3300 Embroidery Machine (Bought new)
1990 JC Penney 7057 (Freearm) (Bought new)
Her portables (ready to go):
1952 Singer 221 Feather Weight
1970s Singer 353B Genie
1959 Singer 404 (My Grandma’s 2nd machine - Bought new.)
His sewing workstation:
1943 Singer 29K70 Industrial
1906 White VS III Treadle (My Grandma’s 1st machine, a used Wedding Gift in 1928.)
His portables (ready to go):
1914 Singer 66-1 HC
1948 Singer 201K4 HC
1957 Singer 221 Feather Weight HC
1910 Singer 28K2 HC
(I do most of my sewing outside on the patio, and as you can see, I like hand cranks.)
My Mother has her one and only machine, a 1956 Singer 301A LBOW in her room. (Bought new)
I don’t know what the average age of all of our machines would be, but this list averages roughly 1955. Good old machines, and still going strong.
CD in Oklahoma