Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main > For Vintage & Antique Machine Enthusiasts
How tough is an old Kenmore? Pretty tuff.... >

How tough is an old Kenmore? Pretty tuff....

How tough is an old Kenmore? Pretty tuff....

Old 02-01-2014, 08:00 AM

Default How tough is an old Kenmore? Pretty tuff....

First, avert thyne eyes if vintage sewing machine destruction at the hands of a philistine bothers you.

This Kenmore takes some serious abuse:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=THsBFn5F3_M The guy hooks it up to a 3/4 horse motor and runs it flat out. He tosses wood shavings, screwdrivers, sticks, metal and even it's own parts at it.

It tosses a couple components during the torture, but all it takes to get it going again is a screwdriver.

After 20+ mins of this abuse, he finally takes to pounding it with a sledge hammer and it (mercifully) dies.

People often wonder why I like the older sewing machines over the new plastic-y ones.

Because they just don't build em like they used to. A new plastic wonder would hold up 30-60 seconds to that kind of torture if it was lucky. This one takes it for 20+ mins and would probably still go if it hadn't been sledge hammered.

Old machines are tuff, no doubt about that!

Last edited by great white; 02-01-2014 at 08:03 AM.
Old 02-01-2014, 08:55 AM

OMG! Gimme an old vintage metal machine anytime. It was interesting but hard to watch to the end.
Old 02-01-2014, 10:46 AM

I bet that would take 10+ layers of denim.
Old 02-01-2014, 12:26 PM

OK, so they are tough and strong. But why in the heck would you, or anyone else for that matter want to do that to any machine? Sounds like a big case for anger management therapy.

Anastasia,
My 158-17570 will easily sew over 7 layers [b]if[/i] they are flat. But throw a fold in the seven and it has problems.

There is a limit to what a Kenmore will do.

Joe
Old 02-01-2014, 12:42 PM

Wouldn't trade my 158.1774 for anything. Love it and yes, it's a real workhorse!
Old 02-01-2014, 01:26 PM

Originally Posted by J Miller View Post
OK, so they are tough and strong. But why in the heck would you, or anyone else for that matter want to do that to any machine? Sounds like a big case for anger management therapy.

Anastasia,
My 158-17570 will easily sew over 7 layers [b]if[/i] they are flat. But throw a fold in the seven and it has problems.

There is a limit to what a Kenmore will do.

Joe
I'm guessing the guy was bored and looking for something to do.

A the very beginning of the video he said the machine was not repairable before he started running it. Likely just an old and neglected machine.

Not my bag and I can think of better things to do with my time, but one heck of a torture test though.
Old 02-01-2014, 06:42 PM

Lint and thread will bind a sewing machine, so I don't see how throwing all of that stuff in there proves anything. [ATTACH=CONFIG]460005[/ATTACH]
Attached Images  
Old 02-02-2014, 03:09 AM

Originally Posted by mlmack View Post
Lint and thread will bind a sewing machine, so I don't see how throwing all of that stuff in there proves anything. [ATTACH=CONFIG]460005[/ATTACH]
I'm more impressed that it held up to a 3/4 horse motor and the speed for so long.

I would have thought it would heat and bind from that alone.

I honestly expected to see a catastrophic failure because of that and pieces of the chassis go flying....
Old 02-02-2014, 08:13 AM

All machines have their limits==but in my opinion, like the featherweight, Kenmore machines are the toughest out there of what I would call the more modern machines. Mine is 39 years old and the only problem I ever had was when I was making a corduroy coat with shearling lining for my husband=I was putting in a zipper and trying to hurry so he could wear it to work and I pulled on the back of the fabric and the needle went down crooked and broke the bobbin case. Totally operator error from a young wife aiming to please. Bought a new bobbin case and she is still working today. She has sewn everything you can imagine and was even used for costumes for my son's plays in highschool and college. If I need to sew jeans, heavier fabrics or vinyl, leather, etc. she is the one I go to. Great demonstration of how durable they are. Just made me sick to see on in such deplorable condition and then to be tortured. I would have gone ballistic if that had been my husband doing it.
Old 02-02-2014, 08:40 AM

3/4 Horse Motor? Wow! Poor machine....it probably suffered a heart attack. What ever was he thinking to abuse a machine like that?

My old Kenmore repaired my sons leather jacket several times....no problems. Just wish that I still had it.