Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main > For Vintage & Antique Machine Enthusiasts
How /Why do you acquire "another" vintage machine? >

How /Why do you acquire "another" vintage machine?

How /Why do you acquire "another" vintage machine?

Old 11-01-2017, 09:42 AM

My first 'real' machine was/is a 401 in a table. Works like a treat and is my 'go to' machine.
Then, I wanted a treadle and found a 66 in good condition for a decent price.
Then, I found a featherweight.
Then, my 401 plastic walking foot broke after just a short usage. So I found a Davis in a barn.
How could I pass up the beautiful Willcox & Gibbs treadle?
Or the Wheeler & Wilson very early model?
And then my husband gave me two treadles for my birthday.
And found another at a garage sale.
And I found a couple of hand crank Singers....
So now, the question asked before buying is "Does it do something different than the others?
Old 11-01-2017, 02:11 PM

There's something interesting with the machines I go for; some I have noticed on the web and have been searching for, some stand out from the rest on the spot (charity store, web auction,..). I like some of the old decals, flowers, art nouveau swirls, some for the smooth running and stitching qualities.
Old 11-02-2017, 06:06 AM

I started out buying for all of the above reasons, but later I thinned out the heard. Now if there’s something about it that really appeals to me, I’ll get it. I’m down to about 12 now, but that never stops me from looking!
Old 11-02-2017, 03:50 PM

I have my 15-91 and 201-2, I'd say if I found these two again in my birth year. And a Featherweight if I found one at a really good price. I'd probably "grab off a curb" before I would let it go to the garbage dump. I am pretty happy with just the two I have.
Old 11-02-2017, 04:23 PM

Originally Posted by Jo Anne B. View Post
I have my 15-91 and 201-2,...I am pretty happy with just the two I have.
You have two of the best gems at least. The gear driven motor is so few and far between here, and I am still on the look for a 201K2. I seriously want one of the prewar zigzaggers, a Bernina, Pfaff or Mundlos-Victoria; there were a few brands who made them; cast iron, preferable regular 15x1 needle. I am likely to get a long bobbin machine too, just to see how the work; if I combine it with some nice decals it would be a sort of two for one type of bargain ;- )

I can't remember who it was, but one poster here told a story of how a friend of hers brought a Featherweight to a sewing class and her status went up a few notches. Some of them carry prestige and particularly the Featherweight is given a lot of attention. I guess most girls would by a fancy handbag, but a sewing machine might have the same effect ;- )

Last edited by Mickey2; 11-02-2017 at 04:25 PM.
Old 11-02-2017, 07:14 PM

Because it looked like, or actually was, a machine used by my grandmother.

Or because it was really cute and a good price and I had been looking for a long time for that combo. (Featherweight)
Old 11-02-2017, 09:53 PM

Because some has to save them from the trash and love them!
Old 11-03-2017, 02:55 PM

For the really "good" Singers, I like to have multiple copies of them for assembly comparison purposes, and I really like them. For some reason, I have a soft spot for the Singer 201's (up to 5 right now. I am fascinated by the VS Singers because they are old, and I have put vintage handcranks on them for my 5 granddaughters (all 5 y.o. and under!) so I can teach them to sew. All the rest (total = 44) I like because they are neat, mechanical, and inexpensive.

JohnThomas in NC
Old 11-03-2017, 03:28 PM

I want to know if you collectors have a huge room dedicated to old machines. I only have my mom's Singer treadle, but I have no place to store 5, 12, or 100 machines!!
Old 11-03-2017, 08:18 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by M.Elizabeth View Post
I want to know if you collectors have a huge room dedicated to old machines. I only have my mom's Singer treadle, but I have no place to store 5, 12, or 100 machines!!
Nope, they've just taken over the house. When the house started getting so full it was hard to walk around, I got rid of other furniture to make room for the machines. We don't eat at the table so gone went the dining room set. That easy chair was ugly anyway so out it went. End tables? Gone, replaced with small cabinets. I now have a 10x12 shop and a huge sewing room in my new house so I won't be tripping over machines any more, at least not for a while lol.
As for why or how I decide what to buy, when I first got into vintage machines I bought whatever caught my eye if the price was right. Nothing too old though, mostly 1950s. Over time I decided to focus my collection and started buying more of what I really wanted and letting go of what I didn't want. Now with over 75 machines I'll be letting more go than I take in but to be fair, the total number of machines I have include 2 sergers, 4 or 5 modern machines, 3 toys, 5 embroidery machines and a long arm quilter.

Cari

Last edited by Cari-in-Oly; 11-03-2017 at 08:29 PM.