Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main > For Vintage & Antique Machine Enthusiasts
I am livid and gonna make myself a STIFF drink before bed. >

I am livid and gonna make myself a STIFF drink before bed.

I am livid and gonna make myself a STIFF drink before bed.

Old 07-11-2012, 06:16 AM

I'm sure she feels bad too. Hard to be annoyed with such a cute face! My nephew's Siamese used the method of peeing on his clothes (which were always on the floor) whenever the litter box Seriously needed cleaning. Daniel learned to wash his own clothes but Never was smart enough to clean the box or pick up his clothes! The cat is now about 19, a bit crickity but doing fairly well and living with Dan's Mom. The Oxyclean did well for the odors, but faded the denim a bit. I'm guessing the denim is from old jeans, so a good soak and lay out in the sun to dry and shrinking shouldn't be an issue. I have jeans waiting to be cut up, but it's tough on the hands.
Old 07-11-2012, 06:44 AM

Monroe,

My denim squares came from old pants, left overs from some of my wife's other projects and some new off the bolt pieces that had been washed once.
Cat boxes are cleaned regularly but some times I think they'd not be satisfied if I cleaned them each time they used them.

Joe
Old 07-11-2012, 07:15 AM

Joe, I'm so sorry, but I can't stop laughing :-(
If it makes you feel any better, I've found a few of my quilts have gone out the puppy door to be used as doggie bedding in the back yard, not to mention tug toys.
Old 07-11-2012, 07:18 AM

We have made several quiltets just for the kitties to lay on. She could have at least used one of those.

Joe
Old 07-11-2012, 07:31 AM

Originally Posted by J Miller View Post
There is a possibility this kitty has a bladder infection. She is a polydactyl (24 toes) and about as weird a cat as you'll see.
We haven't had the funds to get her spaid yet and her heats are prolonged and tortuous to her and us.

I know what you mean about having to wash a big quilt. The one my wife made last year needs to go and we just haven't done it yet.

Joe
Joe - check the internet for the MARX program and see if a vet near you participates. I got my cats fixed for: males $39 and females $52 (aren't girls always more expensive...). The initials stand for Managing Animal Reproduction - no idea what the X stands for. You have to visit the vet first and pay cash for a "certificate" . You can arrange the surgery the same day you buy the certificate. This will at least help with the heat problems. Hope you get the bladder problems worked out and your quilt pieces saved....
Old 07-11-2012, 07:35 AM

Originally Posted by JillC View Post
Look for a free spay clinic at an animal shelter near you...we have them here several times a year. You can also check with a feline rescue organization in your area..they sometimes offer low cost/free spays to individuals; the only way to help control cat over populations.
I'm with everyone else..probably an infection that won't cure itself. Once you have forgiven her you should post her pic.
Just a veterinarian's two cents....I agree that she may have a urinary tract issue and also that spaying her would definitely be in her best interest. I hope you're able to find a low-cost spay/neuter clinic near you. I wish you were closer...I spay cats for $42 every day!
Old 07-11-2012, 07:35 AM
Power Poster

Your response was really mature and logical! (Exactly what my DH would have done! I also think he could be more 'mature' and 'logical' at times) I'm sure the cat is so much wiser now.

First - keep your fabrics out of harm's way (I've learned that the hard way!)

Second - if that was the first time your cat did that, then it might be smart to try to figure out WHY she did!

And urine DOES wash out. Think of all the fabric diapers that were used!
Old 07-11-2012, 12:07 PM

fixfido,

The urine the naughty kitty is leaving behind is very strong and pungent. Smells worse than a tom cat spraying to mark his territory.
We will get her in as soon as we can, but funds are very short. You can't spend what you don't have.

As for the quilt blocks, they are hanging on the line to dry. Now they smell like vinegar. One yucky stink to another.

Joe
Old 07-11-2012, 12:54 PM

Joe- I hope you didn't think I was criticizing your catbox cleaning. I agree- cat pee is much worse than kid pee- more ammonia! I've had several cats, and esp the Siamese were very persnickity about the litter box. They would sternly announce their demand for the maid immediately upon vacating the box. Unfortunately the maid was very lazy, and thought once or twice a day was enough. I hope it was just an unhappy accident. The vinegar smell will dissipate soon. Once the blocks are totally dry maybe you can try adding a used fabric softener sheet to the box if there's a scent that doesn't bother you. I've been trying to remember the Dr Seuss story about the spot that stained the house, tub, etc. Each remedy had worse consequences!
Old 07-11-2012, 01:00 PM

Monroe,

I probably don't clean the boxes as often as they should be cleaned. I keep telling myself to clean them but things distract me.

We have two unspaid females and they generally go into heat one right after or at the same time as the other.
They are keeping the house hold stressed. We'll get them spaided as soon as we can. In the mean time I should clean the boxes more often.

Joe