Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main > For Vintage & Antique Machine Enthusiasts
I decided to buy her...Singer Fashion Mate >

I decided to buy her...Singer Fashion Mate

I decided to buy her...Singer Fashion Mate

Old 02-07-2012, 09:53 AM

That brings back memories!
Old 02-07-2012, 06:56 PM

Originally Posted by Vintage.Singers.NYC View Post
Hi Kay, first off congratulations! The 237 is a great machine.

The needle goes with the flat to the back, you have it correct.

The knob you see on the bed of the machine is for dropping the feed dogs for FMQ.

Now let's figure out why your machine is not making a stitch. Do me a favor and open the slide plate all the way. Then stick some fabric under the needle, drop the presser foot, and use your hand to turn the handwheel towards you to place a couple of stitches. While you are doing this, watch the bobbin case carefully to see what's going on. Tell us what you see. Is the needle thread being pulled across the bobbin case?
The flat of the needle needs to face to the right or it won't sew properly. The needle threads left to right or outside to inside. When you put the bobbin in the bobbin case the thread comes over the top toward you. I treadle my Singer
237, its wonderful for FMQ too. If you go to : www.sewusa.com you can find threading instructions for the 237.
Sharon W.
Attached Thumbnails singer-coffin-top-treadle-008.jpg  
Old 02-07-2012, 08:38 PM

Enjoy your found machine. She probably sews better than the newer models.
Old 02-08-2012, 04:54 AM

Egg on my face! Just pulled my 237 out to check. Two previous posters had it right and I had it wrong; the needle flat must be to the right, and it threads left to right. Apologies for the misinformation, I am clearly trying to keep track of too many machines at once.
Old 02-08-2012, 04:59 AM
Power Poster

Egg on my face! Just pulled my 237 out to check. Two previous posters had it right and I had it wrong; the needle flat must be to the right, and it threads left to right. Apologies for the misinformation, I am clearly trying to keep track of too many machines at once.
I feel so much better - I did that with a Japanese 15 clone - I thought sure I had that needle in right - darn thing wouldn't sew for anything - did all kinds of trouble shooting to no avail. (learned a lot) Finally changed the needle just for kicks and it worked great ever after. To be on the safe side, it is always a good idea to check an owner's manual when you are using a 'new' machine.
Old 02-08-2012, 05:47 AM

Thanks for the instructions on threading. I did find the instruction manual on line but the pictures don't clearly show how to thread and the written directions did not say. I will check out the link you suggested to see if there are better directions. Although I got it sewing, from your directions it appears I have threaded my machine wrong. I have it threaded right to left.

Originally Posted by purplefiend View Post
The flat of the needle needs to face to the right or it won't sew properly. The needle threads left to right or outside to inside. When you put the bobbin in the bobbin case the thread comes over the top toward you. I treadle my Singer
237, its wonderful for FMQ too. If you go to : www.sewusa.com you can find threading instructions for the 237.
Sharon W.
RAIN, no big deal you are a hugh help to this newbie and I can't thank you and EVERYONE else for all the information you have provided to me.
Old 02-08-2012, 10:44 AM

Hi Kay, here are two screenshots from the 237 manual, I hope it helps:

[ATTACH=CONFIG]309978[/ATTACH]
Attached Thumbnails 237.jpg  
Old 02-08-2012, 11:03 AM

I believe the knob on the bottom on the bed of the machine is to drop the feed dogs...I think. I have the same machine..but it's upstairs in the attic..too lazy to go look.
Old 02-08-2012, 11:49 AM

YES, YES the close up of the knob second photo center is exactly what I needed. Thank you, thank you so much

Hi Kay, here are two screenshots from the 237 manual, I hope it helps:

[ATTACH=CONFIG]309978[/ATTACH]
Old 02-08-2012, 01:03 PM

Great. Just ensure the thread goes between the discs and all the way around the bottom; in the photo it kind of looks like the thread just goes straight across, from right to left, but obviously they must go around in order to get the tension.

good luck with it,