Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main > For Vintage & Antique Machine Enthusiasts
I decided to buy her...Singer Fashion Mate >

I decided to buy her...Singer Fashion Mate

I decided to buy her...Singer Fashion Mate

Old 02-08-2012, 01:15 PM

Well, Vintage.Singers.NYC. You certainly know more than I do. I was guessing, I think. Anyhow, she got to sewing didn't she. I think I need to stay quiet and let the pros do the instructing. but, we are all quilting friends aren't we? Forgive me? Barny
Old 02-08-2012, 04:50 PM

Hi Barny, I'm certainly no expert; the real experts are people like the moderators of the Vintage Singers Yahoo Group! But from time to time I figure some things out, usually hard won, and I try to share those things on the blog in hopes of increasing the usefulness of the information. Bottom line is, I'm happy Kay picked the 237 up and got it running. In this age where we throw everything away after a few years, I'm thrilled to see people using machines from the past that still have plenty of life in them.
Old 02-08-2012, 10:06 PM

congratulations! she's beauty!
Old 02-08-2012, 10:22 PM

Maybe also it needs a good cleaning in the bobbin area, take the needle plate off and clean any dust out or threads that may be stuck in there. Sometimes the bobbins are very touchy. When I got my FW, I wasn't putting the bobbin in correctly and the machine wouldn't sew. Good luck
Old 02-09-2012, 11:06 AM

I cleaned her all out, used canned air and a duster brush and oiled her up. Thanks for the info.

QUOTE=slk350;4957278]Maybe also it needs a good cleaning in the bobbin area, take the needle plate off and clean any dust out or threads that may be stuck in there. Sometimes the bobbins are very touchy. When I got my FW, I wasn't putting the bobbin in correctly and the machine wouldn't sew. Good luck[/QUOTE]
Old 04-09-2012, 05:58 PM

Pinkberrykay,
My machine looks just like yours, except mine runs on treadle power, great machine.
The 237's needle goes in with the flat to the right and threads from left to right. It takes class 15 bobbins, the bobbin goes in with the thread coming over the top toward you. Make sure that you have the take up lever all the way up before you take your fabric out. Make sure that you have a new needle, takes a 15x1 needle; I use Schmetz needles.
Check for burrs in the bobbin area and also throat plate.
I have pictures of my 237 here:
http://good-times.webshots.com/album/578828743YiOtbl
Sharon W.
Old 04-09-2012, 06:18 PM

Put the flat of the needle to the right and thread it left to right.

Cathy

Originally Posted by pinkberrykay View Post
when you say left to right what do you mean? I just stick it straight into the hole, flat side of needle to the back. Ill go back and read the directions about the needles.

Last edited by Mizkaki; 04-09-2012 at 06:24 PM.
Old 04-09-2012, 06:36 PM

Just a tip here: Don't use canned air. All that does is blow dust bunnies back into the machine where you can't get to them. Here's an example of canned air use: http://bearhugquiltworks.blogspot.co...s-to-wise.html

Invest in some pipe cleaners, tweezers, etc. to clean out your machine and use Tri-Flow oil instead of regular sewing machine oil on these older Singers.

I have a 237, lent it to my sister for a project, now she has me looking for another one for her.

Shari
Old 04-09-2012, 06:38 PM

That was my first sewing machine after I got married. It sewed great but I updated to a machine with more stitches. Back then I wouldn't think of owningmore than one machine. How times have changed.

Enjoy!
Old 04-10-2012, 11:37 AM

Originally Posted by Vintage.Singers.NYC View Post
Hi Kay, here are two screenshots from the 237 manual, I hope it helps:

[ATTACH=CONFIG]309978[/ATTACH]
My mother was a home-ec teacher, and she told me to look at the last little hook for the thread just above the needle. (see the last picture at the right side of the page) That is a clue as to which way the needle is threaded and the flat side of the needle goes in the opposite of that side. The needle is threaded from the side of the last little thread hook.
Janis