Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main > For Vintage & Antique Machine Enthusiasts
I got it ! my "new Singer industrial >

I got it ! my "new Singer industrial

I got it ! my "new Singer industrial

Old 05-01-2012, 05:35 PM

Default I got it ! my "new Singer industrial

Ok I went and looked at it and it baffles me, but I bought it anyway. going to pick it up friday.
here is is, some one tell me about it
Old 05-01-2012, 05:50 PM

Are you a member of the vintagesinger group on yahoo?
Old 05-01-2012, 05:52 PM

Candace, yes I am, but before I post there I want to bring it home and do a little research.
Old 05-01-2012, 07:36 PM

Originally Posted by greywuuf View Post
Ok I went and looked at it and it baffles me, but I bought it anyway. going to pick it up friday.
here is is, some one tell me about it

The 103 is not common in my neck of the woods. Other than the information you already found, best bet is an owners manual which I saw listed in Bonanza if not found for free. The Vintage Singer group sounds like a good idea for some background history. Check the SN when you get it .

The industrial treadle has almost gone the way of the passenger pigeon in the US and complete bases are scarce.

Jon
Old 05-01-2012, 07:55 PM

This machine is not what the owner thinks it is. He seems to think it is a 1908 vintage..... If it is...the base is not original. However the base and head look just like the drawing that ismacs has. This machine also has reverse and a numbered detent stitch length. This makes me believe it is much later. Also the serial number starts with a "C" this means (I think) that is is a wertenberg machine (Prussian) and it also means there are no records...other than the "C" started in 1908.

The table is fitted with an electric motor and there is a nice ball and socket mounted work light. Also there is a metric "meter stick" inlayed into the top.

The "iron" is painted brown and looks original. I would guess this is a '50's model except that the factory was over run in the 40's.

One last thing, all of the gold lettering on the oil holes are printed in "german", "oel" cant wait to get this and start playing with it.

I should also mention that you were correct, it has a knee lift. It appears to be a 15class action and uses 16x231 needles (schmetz still makes them)

Last edited by greywuuf; 05-01-2012 at 07:58 PM.
Old 05-01-2012, 08:03 PM

I'd say the machine is mid-1930s or earlier, based on the number-less tension assembly and the spoked handwheel. Also, is it missing any pieces? Somehow the bobbin winder doesn't seem complete to me. In any case, I do hope you find out what the machine is, as I'm dying of curiosity!
Old 05-01-2012, 08:13 PM

This video seems to be a real nice example. Mine seems to be missing what ever goes on top of the rear "spool bump" also the one pictured has a low mounted bobbin wonder, mine has a wheel mounted one and yes it is incomplete, but since it is a "15" class bobbin and hook I am hoping a winder from a 15 will work.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iYiLi...e_gdata_player
Old 05-01-2012, 08:16 PM
Power Poster

Congrats. enjoy your machine!!!
Old 05-01-2012, 08:40 PM

Originally Posted by greywuuf View Post
This video seems to be a real nice example. Mine seems to be missing what ever goes on top of the rear "spool bump" also the one pictured has a low mounted bobbin wonder, mine has a wheel mounted one and yes it is incomplete, but since it is a "15" class bobbin and hook I am hoping a winder from a 15 will work.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iYiLi...e_gdata_player
If not, you can always use the industrial bobbin winder that mounts on the table and are very common and still made. Bobbins could be of the common industrial Singer type (slightly thinner tan a 15 class) and the hook action is probably more like a rotary 201 in the vertical position as compared to the oscillating or back and forth of the 15 . Good luck with it.

Jon