Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main > For Vintage & Antique Machine Enthusiasts
I just want to know what I have!!! >

I just want to know what I have!!!

I just want to know what I have!!!

Old 01-25-2024, 10:11 AM

Default I just want to know what I have!!!

Hi everyone,

Being new to all of this, i just bought a treadle machine from an antique store. Not knowing much about it, I thought research would be the way to start. Before even learning HOW to use it, I want to know what I even have lol. I have learned it's very hard to date machines. I've accepted that.

Here's what I can tell you. On the back of the machine it's says Charles Williams stores, New York. From other research I've done mainly ebay HA. It REALLY REALLY resembles a windsor b, Montgomery ward. This is the only one I can find that even the screw placement matches. What's throwing me off though, it does not say windsor on the front, it's says Betsy Ross. Why? How? Does that mean its not a windsor b? Is it something different, and what is it? I need to replace the belt (on its way), not sure if it's missing any parts (that would be helpful also), also looking into cleaning, it also came with an attachment box in one of the drawers if thats helpful. I really want to know. It's driving me bonkers, I've been researching for 4 days with very little sleep and lots of coffee, talking like 1am nights. Please help! 🙏

Also I cannot find a serial number, I've looked up, down, crawling on the floor, flashlights. Cant find it.

Also, I'm not really sure how to post pictures?

Last edited by Mrskbburg1201; 01-25-2024 at 10:12 AM. Reason: Forgot info
Old 01-25-2024, 10:24 AM

Default Pictures

Hopefully did this right!
Attached Thumbnails 20240125_100641.jpg   20240125_100630.jpg  
Old 01-25-2024, 10:27 AM

Default More pictures

Hey I did it!
Attached Thumbnails 20240125_100649.jpg   20240125_101042.jpg  
Old 01-25-2024, 10:41 AM

I thought Betsy Ross machines were toy machines, but I did find https://www.collectorsweekly.com/sto...arles-williams There is a thread here on QB National Improved Eldredge type B manual? that I think maybe helpful as it would take a needle that is not readily available. There are some work-around methods to use a modern needle.

It is recommended the you wipe it down with cotton balls or cotton fabric and sewing machine oil - NOT 3-in-1 oil. This is to preserve what decals are there.

Not that a serial number will be particularly helpful, they sometimes are on the front slide plate or on the bed of the machine after the front slide plate is removed.
Old 01-25-2024, 10:42 AM

Hi. I have never heard of this machine, but found someone else looking for info also. The link below is to a website called collector's weekly. If you scroll down to the comment section, someone said it was made by National and is the model IEB or Improved Eldredge B. The second link is to what may be the instruction manual for it. Hope this helps at least point you in the correct direction.

Shari

https://www.collectorsweekly.com/sto...arles-williams

https://ismacs.net/national/national...n-manuals.html
Old 01-25-2024, 10:46 AM

Originally Posted by OurWorkbench View Post
I thought Betsy Ross machines were toy machines, but I did find https://www.collectorsweekly.com/sto...arles-williams There is a thread here on QB National Improved Eldredge type B manual? that I think maybe helpful as it would take a needle that is not readily available. There are some work-around methods to use a modern needle.

It is recommended the you wipe it down with cotton balls or cotton fabric and sewing machine oil - NOT 3-in-1 oil. This is to preserve what decals are there.

Not that a serial number will be particularly helpful, they sometimes are on the front slide plate or on the bed of the machine after the front slide plate is removed.
Thats what i was finding too about betsy ross machines being toy machines, but when i looked those up, it didnt look anything like this. So i don't know. I will take a look at those other threads. Thank you!
Old 01-25-2024, 11:04 AM

For additional help on these and other questions that might/will come up, the folks over at Victorian Sweatshop live, breathe and love all things vintage sewing. There is an incredible amount of collective wisdom and inspiration to be found there.

https://www.victoriansweatshop.com/

Your new machine is pretty. Have fun learning all about her.

Last edited by 1CharmShort; 01-25-2024 at 11:07 AM.
Old 01-25-2024, 08:29 PM

Traditional leather treacle belt sellerss can be found with an internet search. They are about 70-72" , cut to fit. Be sure to buy the cluo/sraple, too. They run about $10.
You can also use window screen spline, or even cotton string in a pinch.