I need advice please....

Old 10-16-2012, 03:04 PM

Default I need advice please....

My Singer 99 is all ready and threaded right and when I use her she purrs pretty when she runs but will not make any actual stitches. I've tried playing with the tensions (as best I can understand the directions)...but nothing is making her make stitches. Can anyone give me some help as to what to do next?

What is that big silver knob for that is on the front right for? I don't see anything in the manual as to what that is for. I'll include an earlier picture here for you to see. My husband has since rubbed some tongue oil on the base case he made me. Plus it now has to nice black handles on the sides so I can actually pick "Grace" up. Thank you for your help in advance.
[ATTACH=CONFIG]370343[/ATTACH]
Attached Thumbnails dsc01806.jpg  
Old 10-16-2012, 03:12 PM

The silver knob is probably the stitch length regulator. Do you have the correct needle?
Old 10-16-2012, 04:34 PM

That silver knob just above the badge is the Stitch Regulator Nob. It is covered in the owners manual.
Turn it all the way in ( clockwise) till it stops and you get the longest stitches.
Turn it out ( counter clockwise ) and the stitches get smaller until it just stops feeding.

It uses regular 15x1 needles that go in flat to the right.
The needle threads left to right.

If all is clean under the needle plate and you have the Stitch Regulator Nob turned all the way in, and the needle is in correctly and you have it threaded correctly there is no reason it shouldn't make lots of purty stitches.

Joe
Old 10-17-2012, 02:42 AM

Thank you both. I did have the right needle size but did not know about having the flat side going to the right. Now she makes stitches!! Thanks again.
Old 10-17-2012, 10:45 AM

I have stitches now!! The bottom thread tension seems tight while the top too loose. I've been adjusting but only seem to get the bottom tigher. Don't see much change at all in the top thread tension yet. When I stitch the fabric puckers. So I will keep changing the tensions and hopefully get it just right.

Has anyone ever changed the tension where the bobbin actually is located? That's the only place I haven't tried to adjust yet.
Old 10-17-2012, 09:26 PM

Hey nygal,

See this post I made a while back, it should help you out with your tension gremlins, and adjusting the bobbin case tension.

http://www.quiltingboard.com/vintage...g-t195869.html

Once you know that the bottom is right, you can set the top per Singer's instructions in the manual and you should have a great starting point (i.e. set to factory settings) to work from.
Old 10-18-2012, 06:10 AM

And double check the threading...sometimes I miss something and mess up my top tension.
Old 10-18-2012, 06:21 PM

I just got a "new" 1951 model 15 and I did have to adjust the bobbin tension. I don't know why that always scares me to death, because I don't do anything that can't be undone, but it just terrifies me! It took a little fiddling with her, but she is sewing like a champ now!