Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main > For Vintage & Antique Machine Enthusiasts
I thought it was old until I saw it's birtday is after mine......... >

I thought it was old until I saw it's birtday is after mine.........

I thought it was old until I saw it's birtday is after mine.........

Old 03-01-2015, 08:46 AM

To be honest, it's not very attractive in it's present state and I'm not sure any amount of work to the present coat will be enough. If I was feeling no pressure to move things in the hoard I would probably play with some paint stripper and see if I could give her new life that way. I wouldn't junk it it if moves freely, but she would get pushed to the back of the workload if I didn't have the time for now.

My reasoning: I would have a hell of a time moving a machine along that looked that way. Everyone wants pretty or at least sorta pretty. Some machines age well and I'm not one who has to have a perfect paint job on them all. I have some with battle scars that wear it well.

I am eager to learn the re-painting this year so I would encourage you to try that! And make a thread and pin it for the rest of us that want to give it a try LOL! YOU go first.
Old 03-01-2015, 09:04 AM

I would:
1) Give it to me because my SIL has me hunting for 7 old black sewing machines as props for her production of "Gaslight Girls." (Award winning high school theater! Wants to keep things close to real.)
2) Strip off all the attachments and paint it a charming lilac.
3) make a lamp out of it....no, no, just kidding, really!
4) Use it as an instructional model when you take your nice machines on the road - just to show the kids how the different parts go together.

Good luck with it, Miriam!
Old 03-01-2015, 10:37 AM
Power Poster

We are snow bound today - more snow... it keeps coming and it is March...
Anyway, I scraped the brittle finish off the base -After I broke all my fingernails... I used a credit card and a broken plastic coat hanger (I had to keep cutting it to get a fresh edge) Did I mention this is very messy? I wish I would have put the bobbin and needle plates back on. I did put it over the garbage can while I worked but there is still black stuff all over the place. This will never be perfect but it looks a lot better to me. Soon I'll post a pics on here of a couple I redid recently. No they aren't the most glamorous but they are very functional. The next thing to figure out is some kind of finish. GLENN???
[ATTACH=CONFIG]512045[/ATTACH]
Attached Thumbnails scraped-base-003.jpg  
Old 03-01-2015, 10:41 AM
Power Poster

I think I got a duplicate pic some how. There is one place that is bare metal - near the needle plate - very obvious. Also some black missing on the edges - that is not unusual.
Attached Thumbnails scraped-base-005.jpg  

Last edited by miriam; 03-01-2015 at 10:47 AM.
Old 03-01-2015, 10:42 AM
Power Poster

Maybe another pic of the base. It is shiny and smooth now but there are places where there used to be finish and places where there didn't used to be finish and it does show as you can see. Maybe there is something that would even that out??? But I will say it looks a LOT better than it did all lumpy and it is a lot better with out viewing it with the camera lol.
[ATTACH=CONFIG]512047[/ATTACH]

Well at least the sun decided to shine for a while. I have a lot of natural light in there.
Attached Thumbnails scraped-base-006.jpg  

Last edited by miriam; 03-01-2015 at 10:45 AM.
Old 03-01-2015, 10:48 AM
Power Poster

I can bring up the finish a lot by rubbing on some linseed oil. WOW does it ever look nice. I doubt if it is adequate finish though.
Old 03-01-2015, 10:56 AM

Miriam, It needs to be sanded all over with fine wet or dry paper, I use mineral oil also as a lub for the paper. I then use soluble aniline dye in black mixed with shellac. You can french polish the color on or use an airbrush. Sanding between coats for a smooth finish. I know this is more work than you want to put in the machine. You have got the 66 about as good as you are going to. Sometimes they just need more work than they are worth. This being said this machine will be a great sewer and you can sew anything with it without being concerned for the finish. I have an old beater machine I drag around to make covers for cars and furniture it looks like it as been run over by a truck but boy can she sew.
Old 03-01-2015, 11:06 AM
Power Poster

Originally Posted by Glenn View Post
Miriam, It needs to be sanded all over with fine wet or dry paper, I use mineral oil also as a lub for the paper. I then use soluble aniline dye in black mixed with shellac. You can french polish the color on or use an airbrush. Sanding between coats for a smooth finish. I know this is more work than you want to put in the machine. You have got the 66 about as good as you are going to. Sometimes they just need more work than they are worth. This being said this machine will be a great sewer and you can sew anything with it without being concerned for the finish. I have an old beater machine I drag around to make covers for cars and furniture it looks like it as been run over by a truck but boy can she sew.
Glenn, I'm over my head aren't I? Maybe I should have left it alone?

I love these old black beater machines. You will not find anything better. Would a polish of shellac hold it until I can sand it outdoors this summer?

Last edited by miriam; 03-01-2015 at 11:08 AM.
Old 03-01-2015, 11:18 AM

No Miriam you needed to clean the machine up like this. If nothing else but to look better. You did the right thing by this machine but if you go any further you will be over your head for sure. Yes a quick polish will protect what you have done until summer. Is this the one you are going to try a redo? This summer you can sand it down smooth then have Phil prime it and spray with black enamel then add decals. Maybe not LOL
Old 03-01-2015, 11:24 AM
Power Poster

Originally Posted by Glenn View Post
No Miriam you needed to clean the machine up like this. If nothing else but to look better. You did the right thing by this machine but if you go any further you will be over your head for sure. Yes a quick polish will protect what you have done until summer. Is this the one you are going to try a redo? This summer you can sand it down smooth then have Phil prime it and spray with black enamel then add decals. Maybe not LOL
Yes I'm glad it did this much... Ha... road trip to visit that really cool cemetery with Pat and do a tutorial how to fix this machine? This was very messy so far - next time it gets done outdoors.