Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main > For Vintage & Antique Machine Enthusiasts
I would like help figuring out what machine I have >

I would like help figuring out what machine I have

I would like help figuring out what machine I have

Old 07-22-2020, 11:20 PM

Originally Posted by OurWorkbench View Post
It appears there is a Super IV M and then there is a Super M IV ... Both are similar to some of the Morse 600s.
I believe the Selecto would be a Bernina 540-2 Favorit. It would take different feet than the IV M and M IV
Okay, thank you OurWorkbench!
I checked both machines you mentioned (M IV and Morse 600) and they do look remarkably similar.
I'm going to do more research on those to see what I can find, but I think you found the machine or at the very least, found me a good starting point for me to research.

I'll post anything I find (like manuals and specific models of machines), and I'll post more pictures once I receive my machine.
Again, thank you!
Old 07-23-2020, 03:26 AM

Welcome to the board. Have got to tell you I love Israel and so hope I get to go back again some day. I have no idea about those machines but love this board.
Old 08-09-2020, 01:02 AM

Default I got the machine!!

Sorry for being late. Because of final exams on the uni semester and scheduling issues with the dude who was delivering the machine for me, I'm a bit late.
​​​​​​
I got the machine! It seems to be in amazing condition.
I will send more pictures later, as im currently on the long bus home. I imagine it'll be another few hours til i arrive and am able to send pictures.
Old 08-10-2020, 01:03 AM

Post Some Pictures and video

just a few pictures
Attached Thumbnails front.jpeg   bottom.jpeg   back-wheel.jpeg   back-motor.jpeg  

Last edited by QuiltnNan; 08-10-2020 at 03:18 AM. Reason: videos must be uploaded to the QB
Old 08-10-2020, 06:09 AM

watch out for that plastic base. The ones in the USA are very rittle when they get old. Wild looking cord plug . pretty neat.

Glad it found it's way to you.
Old 08-10-2020, 06:55 AM

Neat, I hope you got the foot controller and just didn't post an image. I think that it may be an after-market motor. I'm basing that on the fact that the mounting is a different color. There is an old post of a blue machine at http://debbiesfiberwork.blogspot.com...n-garbage.html It looks to me that the plug is like yours, but the mount looks like it is the same color as the machine. I saw a plug like yours recently, but don't remember which machine.

It also looks like someone drew the threading path on the machine.

Have fun getting to know your machine.

Janey - Neat people never make the exciting discoveries I do.
Not affiliated with off-site link(s)
Old 08-10-2020, 09:09 AM

it looks like a straight stitcher . it appears that your only controls are the dial for the length of the stitches and then the lever for forward or reverse. The rotary switch on the deck could be for lowering the feed dogs. or it could be for right center left for changing needle positions.
Old 08-10-2020, 11:17 AM

Lightbulb Oooh, lotsa responses!

Before anythin else, I got me some sewing machine oil, did a baisc cleaning (just some cloth and oil. no weird chemicals or whatever. I didn't open up the machine completely tho, since I don't know how far I should go) and tested the machine out.
It's a beauty. I'm so happy I fell in love with this model at first sight and then got it at this price.
With all the purchases up til now (Machine + Needles + Carrying Case, Oil, Shears, Ruler, Thread, etc etc) it cost me less than 70 usd.
It was much quieter than expected, which is great too!

Okay, now my responses to your quotes:

Originally Posted by leonf View Post
watch out for that plastic base. The ones in the USA are very rittle when they get old. Wild looking cord plug . pretty neat.

Glad it found it's way to you.
right, yeah the plastic seems a bit brittle. Honestly, I'm hoping I can replace it at some point. For now though, it's functional.

Originally Posted by OurWorkbench View Post
Neat, I hope you got the foot controller and just didn't post an image. I think that it may be an after-market motor. I'm basing that on the fact that the mounting is a different color. There is an old post of a blue machine at http://debbiesfiberwork.blogspot.com...n-garbage.html It looks to me that the plug is like yours, but the mount looks like it is the same color as the machine. I saw a plug like yours recently, but don't remember which machine.

It also looks like someone drew the threading path on the machine.

Have fun getting to know your machine.
I have the foot, no worries. It was actually in near perfect condition. barely a scratch. Btw, any ideas on how I can increase the resistance on the pedal? it's a tad too easy to press in my opinion.

yeah, the plug is a bit weird, but for now it's in great condition. But if it happens to break for some reason, the components are so simple I could just make a new one with a different shape.

oh the marker; I hate that someone drew with permanent marker the threading path. If you have any idea as to how I can remove that without ruining the paint job, please tell me. It annoys me so much to see someone add marker and stickers directly on stuff like this.

Oh yeah, I actually completed my first small scale project. I converted a pair of long pants to be shorts. they had holes so I cut that part off and just sew the ends.

Originally Posted by leonf View Post
it looks like a straight stitcher . it appears that your only controls are the dial for the length of the stitches and then the lever for forward or reverse. The rotary switch on the deck could be for lowering the feed dogs. or it could be for right center left for changing needle positions.
Yup, it's a straight stitcher. and the dial is for the feed dog, yeah. There's no changing left right center for the needle on this machine.

A few questions to you guys:
1. Is there a place to buy quality presser feet for a straight stitch machine? I want to gets some other ones, since I only have the standard foot in the picture. Perhaps a website/good brands to look out for.

2. There's this screw dial thing on the top of the machine. It looks like it only affect the tension of the presser foot lever. Does it perhaps have another purpose that I'm not seeing?

3. There seems to be a screw hole on the back side of the machine (near the presser foot lever) that doesn't have a screw in it. It doesn't look like an oiling hole either. Do you guys know what it's for? Am I just missing a screw?

anyways, thanks you guys
If you have any tips for maintenance, getting the machine to be in tip top condition, or anything else, please tell me.
I'm like a sponge for info, so feel free to even tell me random facts/history you guys think about.
Old 08-10-2020, 12:55 PM

[QUOTE]
"2. There's this screw dial thing on the top of the machine. It looks like it only affect the tension of the presser foot lever. Does it perhaps have another purpose that I'm not seeing?"

It changes the pressure on the presser foot for different fabrics or layers of them.

3. There seems to be a screw hole on the back side of the machine (near the presser foot lever) that doesn't have a screw in it. It doesn't look like an oiling hole either. Do you guys know what it's for? Am I just missing a screw?

"Are there threads in it.?"

Last edited by QuiltnNan; 08-10-2020 at 04:54 PM.
Old 08-11-2020, 01:49 AM

[QUOTE=leonf;8408968]
"2. There's this screw dial thing on the top of the machine. It looks like it only affect the tension of the presser foot lever. Does it perhaps have another purpose that I'm not seeing?"

It changes the pressure on the presser foot for different fabrics or layers of them.

"Are there threads in it.?"
okay, so do I change the pressure on the presser foot often? got any tips for how to know when to adjust and how much?

also, there is a screw in that hole there, I just didn't see it yesterday.