Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Ideas for this table?

Ideas for this table?

I've spent a long time repairing the Bernina that came out of this table. I've got the machine fixed finally, and am just so turned off by the looks of this table that I'm having problems visualizing what to do. I've refinished and refurbed several vintage tables and usually have some sort of goal in mind. I'm not fully against painting it if I thought it would end up looking better. With this table the end goal would be to not hate it like I do now. LOL. I don't like the color at all, I don't like the hardware and I don't like the lines of it, or the pegs. I know I can't really change the pegs or the feet on it, but I don't know if changing out the hardware to something else would even be worth it. Hardware is not cheap and if it's still an ugly table...well....

Ideas?
    Attached Images Attached Images

The maple and colonial design is not my favorite either. I can see the cabinet with a cherry or darker finish and new hardware. Perhaps just covering the pegs and scallops on the bottom with pieces of veneer would give a better look.
    Sweet Caroline

Power Poster
    For me it would depend on what other finishes were on the furniture in my sewing room. I would try to refurbish it to match whatever I already have.
    What colour is the machine? I might paint it either black or white depending on the machine colour.

Here's the machine. Most of the furniture in my house is very modern (clean lines, metal or non-wood) and if there's wood the wood is very dark.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Quote Originally Posted by Caroline S View Post
    The maple and colonial design is not my favorite either. I can see the cabinet with a cherry or darker finish and new hardware. Perhaps just covering the pegs and scallops on the bottom with pieces of veneer would give a better look.
    I think the pegs are horrible:<

I'd take the base off and replace it something solid. You may only need to take the front piece off, trim the edges of the side pieces and fit another front piece to it that is flush with the cabinet - not sticking out to be flush with the drawers (like it is now).

The hardware ... ich.

To make it more modern looking (to match your decor) you might consider refinishing the drawers in one color and the remainder of the cabinet in another. Perhaps a very dark cabinet housing with almost bleached drawers, finished with a crisp brushed steel or black hardware that has simple lines to it.
    May your stitches always be straight, your seams always lie flat, and your grain never be biased against you.

Sue

yel
    Blog Entries
    you could remove the pegs and put in plugs or [just a small piece of a dowel rod ....]paint it if you don't like it .....myself i like the wood look but paint is cheap and check the trader baker or restore or yard sales for new [to you hardware ] i could see that machine in a black cabinet with some knobs to match one color of the machine [green perhaps]

I don't think I'm game for cutting wood or serious redoing of the base. Cutting dowels and putting them in the peg areas to be flush is a good idea. I also don't need to match the machine to the table. I'd prefer to match the machine to what I have already in the house. I'll have to price hardware. I've been able to redo existing hardware in the past, but this hardware is not worth touching!

Definitely paint and put some sort of modern looking pulls on drawers.
    Kitsy

Afraid I don't have any suggestions but had to smile at the drawer pulls because they were the same ones we had (my sisters & I) on our dressers and desks when we were growing up. Believe my parents bought them in 1959.

A darker stain would probably work. But honestly, painting it really intrigues me. Painting the base of the table (The top, sides, etc.) in a white or cream/off-white colour, then painting the drawers a rich plum.

Painting it would probably be the easier option and I wouldn't have to worry about the peg hole/dowels turning a different color from stain.

Boy, do I remember cabinets, desks etc. in this style! you could sand the plugs flush,,paint it dark, green, or black,or maybe dark wood color. even do a faux jade or maybe black stone look / if you like to stencil or paint designs all over it. I paint tables and cover them with roses , leaves, etc. It looks like real wood so that is a plus.
    Like to see what you come up with!

Ah! So there is the infamous cabinet.

I can actually see it in a black lacquer - Chinoiserie style. Like this!

Power Poster
    I think I would paint it with Chalk paint...A new paint that is really catching on here in Charleston..It is so popular that they are teaching classes. The colors are awesome....I plan to try some this paint.

I love it. If you don't, strip it and restain it a dark color(cherry or what you like). Then change the handles and I'm sure you will like it.

Power Poster
    Blog Entries
    Send it to me I'll take it off your hands. I would have DH put a coat of clear whatever it is he uses. I hate painted wood. Especially if it's solid. BUT! That being said, you can sand the pegs of and square up the curves in the bottom. Then use modern pulls that lay flush. Paint to coordinate with the décor. or you could put a dark stain on it.

I won't be sanding any pegs. They should pop out easily. One is already missing. LOL.

I do not like the color or style either. Donate it to Goodwill. Then shop !!!!Love to shop the thrift stores. Hugs

My kind of furniture, I would take it off your hands if I lived closer and had room, refinish a better color and paint/replace hardware and enjoy it.

Quote Originally Posted by Carol34446 View Post
    My kind of furniture, I would take it off your hands if I lived closer and had room, refinish a better color and paint/replace hardware and enjoy it.
    Me, too! You are all far more critical of this sewing table than I would be. I like the design, like the handles. Not crazy about the color or those pegs! I'd strip and restain it a darker color and get rid of the pegs. Hey, it's real wood, right? That's always worth salvaging, imho.

Quote Originally Posted by omacookie View Post
    I do not like the color or style either. Donate it to Goodwill. Then shop !!!!Love to shop the thrift stores. Hugs
    My machine needs its table. LOL. I look at it as a challenge to make it better.

Quote Originally Posted by mme3924 View Post
    Me, too! You are all far more critical of this sewing table than I would be. I like the design, like the handles. Not crazy about the color or those pegs! I'd strip and restain it a darker color and get rid of the pegs. Hey, it's real wood, right? That's always worth salvaging, imho.
    Well, we have different eyes then, because all my eyes see is yuck.

There is no shortage of table makeovers online. Might I suggest a nice, bright paint job, or a trip over to Pinterest?
    The good you do today, people will often forget tomorrow. Do good anyway.

Boomerangs and BOM Blocks: http://www.quiltingboard.com/members...19-albums.html

I love it the way it is, but then, I love antiques. What is not to like??? Different strokes for different folks...that is for sure!!

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast