Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: I've fallen in love.... (301a)

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Candace View Post
    Maybe the motor isn't stronger, but they make a different sound to me.
    It would be interesting to do a test between them and right now I have 3 - two Mocha and that other one... I think the older machine has a bit better feel of the 3. I just can't tell you what that feel is. It probably is just an opinion. Maybe you just got a hold of one that has a better feel. My mothers Featherweight has a feel to it and I have a couple 66s a couple 99 and a 15 with a 'feel' - I'm thinking the feel is some good wear and tear from someone actually using the machine a lot. Something is loosened up and they just want to go and go. My old Elna was like that until the motor died. I haven't found a new one I like yet. I suppose a new paint job would make them look good but then I would be worried about ruining the paint. For use, I'd get an old beat up one.
    NEVER let a sewing machine know you are in a hurry.

Quote Originally Posted by miriam View Post
    It would be interesting to do a test between them and right now I have 3 - two Mocha and that other one... I think the older machine has a bit better feel of the 3. I just can't tell you what that feel is. It probably is just an opinion. Maybe you just got a hold of one that has a better feel. My mothers Featherweight has a feel to it and I have a couple 66s a couple 99 and a 15 with a 'feel' - I'm thinking the feel is some good wear and tear from someone actually using the machine a lot. Something is loosened up and they just want to go and go. My old Elna was like that until the motor died. I haven't found a new one I like yet. I suppose a new paint job would make them look good but then I would be worried about ruining the paint. For use, I'd get an old beat up one.
    Both of my two tones are the same. Just a bit more zippy sounding? I currently have 6, 301's and have sold many more and it's strange to me that the two tones seem a bit different to me. But, I have very good ears. And an amazing nose. The eyes, they have let me down. LOL. Although I'm still in the middle or end? of repainting my 99 with daisy decals, usually the battered paint job doesn't bother me in the least. Unless it's truly gone and then begging for new life. But, there is obviously a market for the repaints or they wouldn't be getting done and sold. I don't have a problem bringing new life into machines and making them used for another 50-100 years.
    Last edited by Candace; 03-24-2014 at 09:55 PM.

UGH!!! do you really like this far out color??

Blog Entries
    What does NEED have to do with it?
    Linda
    There may be times we are powerless to prevent injustice, but there must never be a time when we fail to protest. - Elie Wiesel

Quote Originally Posted by libby2595 View Post
    that is one pretty machine!!

side note: by many of the replies... i knew that someday i would find people who would understand me. i have 8 machines and everyone i know irl makes fun of me or calls me crazy. i think i'm home!!
    Libby, welcome Home. We can all relate.

But, um, only 8 machines? ;-)
    -Cecilia. Tinkering more than stitching, really.

Thank you for all replies, serious, humorous, and in between! I'm still on the fence. The prices of the 301s seem to be rising over the past year. The way I look at it, the current average price for a 301 long bed that has been checked out and serviced is about $275-300.00 on E-Bay. I'd be paying $150.00 for the paint job, which considering the time involved doesn't seem out of line. The husband of someone I met on the quilting retreat does this to featherweights and he gets $750.00 for his machines.

I contacted the seller to ask if this is a 301 or 301a and what the original colour was. I'll wait for her response and make my decision. Are the two tone the 301a? Just wondered why they seem to be better.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Macybaby View Post
    I second napajohn's comment - since I'm up to over 60 of them, and have a hard time thinking of parting with ANY of them LOL!!
    I am in the 40's range and I also have a hard time parting with any of them.

I bought a retro red 301 from this seller. The paint job is very well done. She is a very nice seller and offered to give me a bottle of touch up paint for a minor scratch incurred in shipping. Mine came with felt stick on feet, rather than rubber cushions. I changed them out to stock items. I have 4 other 301's so don't sew much on this. I waited a few months for the paint to fully cure and I never use pins on this machine or any of my very nice FW's. Buy an old beat up one if you are a user of pins.

Since several of you mentioned repainting machines, I have a featherweight that I would love to have repainted. It is really rough, but not rusted. It was free to me. I would not feel comfortable doing it myself, but wonder if anyone can recommend a place to take it or send it. I have my mom's 301 and love sewing on it. Her machine is boring beige but in fabulous condition.

I have two mocha colored 301A s and they both sew beautifully and quietly. I love them and use them all the time. That is a really pretty blue machine. Be sure to let us know if you get it.

<sigh> I may live to regret it, but the deed is done. Paypal offered me a great deal under "Bill it Later". No payments or interest for 6 months. I can afford the machine right now, but with that deal, I figure it will soften the blow.
    I can't believe I just paid over $450.00 for a 55 year old machine! But she is so beautiful -- I love royal blue, and she was "born" the same year as my sister, who I just reunited with after 30 years of being out of touch.... so the machine is name d"Michelle". Crazy the excuses we come up with to support our habit, isn't it?

I'll post pics once I receive her. Thanks, everyone for your comments.

Quote Originally Posted by dc989 View Post
    Since several of you mentioned repainting machines, I have a featherweight that I would love to have repainted. It is really rough, but not rusted. It was free to me. I would not feel comfortable doing it myself, but wonder if anyone can recommend a place to take it or send it. I have my mom's 301 and love sewing on it. Her machine is boring beige but in fabulous condition.
    I know someone who does a great job in the San Antonio, TX area. PM me if you want his information.

Blog Entries
    I love my 301's and have 6 of them but I have never paid more than $125 and that was back in the '90's when prices were crazy. The most recent ones I bought were only $75. Sorry I am going to disagree with the majority here. I think it is down right crazy to spend that kind of money for a painted one. I am a purist and am really bothered by these repainted machines. And when folks are willing to pay the ridiculous prices it just encourages more sellers to do this. These are wonderful machines and don't need a cutesy color to make them desirable. Yes there are some that are probably trashed but what happens is when there becomes a market for these repaints then sellers will paint any of them so they can hike the price.

It reminds me of back in the 80's when I spent literally years stripping paint off of beautiful Victorian woodwork......I was restoring a 130 yr old Victorian mansion in a historic neighborhood......and a couple came and bought the house three doors down from me, already on the register...AND promptly painted all of the natural wood woodwork! And it was in pristine condition. What??? I was so furious. I thought "why didn't you go buy a new home if you wanted painted woodwork!"
    The expert's mind has no room to learn while the beginner's mind is free to know everything....

Quote Originally Posted by Belfrybat View Post
    <sigh> I may live to regret it, but the deed is done. Paypal offered me a great deal under "Bill it Later". No payments or interest for 6 months. I can afford the machine right now, but with that deal, I figure it will soften the blow.
    I can't believe I just paid over $450.00 for a 55 year old machine! But she is so beautiful -- I love royal blue, and she was "born" the same year as my sister, who I just reunited with after 30 years of being out of touch.... so the machine is name d"Michelle". Crazy the excuses we come up with to support our habit, isn't it?

I'll post pics once I receive her. Thanks, everyone for your comments.
    Enjoy and you only live once.

Oh...she's a purty one! Personally, I love the blue. Maybe she was a tad on the expensive side, but you'll love sewing on her every day, so it's money well spent, I say. Besides, with prices going up and up, it will seem like nothing in a year, or two. Be sure to tell her to pack it right and let her know about the EBay guide about packing a sewing machine for shipment.
    ~ Cindy

Congratulations. I'd ask the seller to include a bottle of touch-up paint so you know the color is true...

Blog Entries
    I'm not seeing the prices of 301s go up around here.

Congrats - it's the ones like this one that I end up loving the most. They touch my heart. Don't ask me why or what, but every once in a while I get one I fall in love with. They may not be the ones I use the most, but they are the ones I love the most.
    My name is Cathy - and I'm addicted to old sewing machines and their attachments.

Quote Originally Posted by tropit View Post
    Oh...she's a purty one! Personally, I love the blue. Maybe she was a tad on the expensive side, but you'll love sewing on her every day, so it's money well spent, I say. Besides, with prices going up and up, it will seem like nothing in a year, or two. Be sure to tell her to pack it right and let her know about the EBay guide about packing a sewing machine for shipment.
    ~ Cindy
    She does a great job with the packing, so don't worry. Congrats, you will love it

She's beautiful.
    Dorothy in Denver
    Ring the bells that still can ring. Forget your perfect offering.
    There is a crack in everything. That's how the light gets in. -- Leonard Cohen

Blog Entries
    Congrats! You will love her.
    Linda
    There may be times we are powerless to prevent injustice, but there must never be a time when we fail to protest. - Elie Wiesel

Blog Entries
    Just saw a beautiful 301 LBW on Craigslist for $60. I would grab it in a heart beat but it is 300 miles from me which my hubby just doesn't understand considering how many I already own. I am still contemplating a road trip......lol!
    The expert's mind has no room to learn while the beginner's mind is free to know everything....

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Cogito View Post
    Just saw a beautiful 301 LBW on Craigslist for $60. I would grab it in a heart beat but it is 300 miles from me which my hubby just doesn't understand considering how many I already own. I am still contemplating a road trip......lol!
    Is that 300 miles round trip or one way? The gas adds to the price of your machine considerably.

Blog Entries
    Well I boo boo'ed when typing this.....I meant to say a 3 hour trip one way. So it is basically over 400 miles round trip. Would cost me another $36 in gas. BUT.......it is closer to my home town (150 miles from where I currently live) so if I combined a trip home and convinced them to drive 30 miles south and I meet them then it would only be 90 miles. See how I am justifying? Lol! Of all my 301's I don't have the LBOW so it seems justifiable to me. Ahem! Sadly I am married to an extremely practical/penny pincher husband (whom I love dearly!) sigh.... Will just have to see.

I think it is absolutely wonderful that some of you can find vintage machines in good working order for very low prices. I'm in a rural area and haven't found anything I'd even consider purchasing for under $300.00. So I'm dependent mostly on E-Bay. I could have gotten a 301a off E-Bay for around $250.00, and probably would have if I hadn't seen this one. I think there are times when we just have to follow our heart. And in addition to this being painted, I also know it was thoroughly cleaned and adjusted, which is also important to me.
    I'll be posting pics tomorrow. Thanks for all your help.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast